Kudos: 2

UniFi - Can I use an external antenna with UAP?

I need to place UAP access points in Oberon enclosures (in aluminum stud walls).  I am concerned with signal attenuation and antenna orientation.  Will the UAP accept an external antenna?  I see that the outdoor models do.

Ancient Member
Kudos: 10309
Solutions: 1585

Re: UniFi - Can I use an external antenna with UAP?

Only a few outdoor models are designed to have external antennas.

My Topics
Top Solution Authors Leaderboard
"The firings will continue until morale improves." Donald Trump (unconfirmed) 2017.
Kudos: 2

Thanks for the quick response.  I probably was not clear enough in my post.  These access points will be inside.  The area they are in has hard gypsum ceilings.  The owner has accepted wall mounted enclosures as the only acceptable mounting method (he does not want the access points exposed).  I was looking at using the Oberon enclosures with an external antenna.  I do not see this as an option for the UAP series.  I just wanted to make sure before I go with another solution.

SuperUser
Kudos: 5104
Solutions: 1455

As @LLigetfa said, only the UAP-Outdoor models (or a subset therein) sport external antennas.  

The Vanilla UAP, -PRO, and -AC models are self-contained units.  Look like an oversized smoke detector when they're mounted.

Ancient Member
Kudos: 10309
Solutions: 1585

trenchdog wrote:

Thanks for the quick response.  I probably was not clear enough in my post...

Unless you were saying UAP and meaning to say UAP Outdoor, I don't know how you can be any clearer.  Were you planning to put UAP Outdoor radios inside enclosures?

When I said only certain outdoor models are designed to use external antennas, I meant that NONE of the indoor models are designed to use external antennas.

My Topics
Top Solution Authors Leaderboard
"The firings will continue until morale improves." Donald Trump (unconfirmed) 2017.