Kudos: 13

UniFi Controller 5.5 on Raspberry Pi

[ Edited ]

I just finished installing this, mostly following Chris's guide (http://www.lowefamily.com.au/2016/06/02/installing-ubiquiti-unifi-controller-5-on-raspberry-pi/), but I hit a few snags along the way, so I'm documenting them here for posterity and xkcd 979.

First off, at the time of the writing, stable is actually 5.5, but that will keep on shifting as Ubiquiti releases new versions of the controller. Adapting these instructions to the new versions of the unifi controller should be easy, but I'll adjust.

I've actually followed these modifications to install on both a  1 model B and a 2 model B+.

Now for the actual snags:

1. Oracle Java 8 is actually required for the controller to work. Instead of installing openjdk and oracle java separately, you can install oracle java and unifi at the same time. Through the magic of the dependency resolution, apt will determine that oracle-java8-jdk statisfies the java dependency of unifi, and not even bother installing openjdk.

sudo apt-get install unifi oracle-java8-jdk -y
    If you installed the two parts separately, you can uninstall openjdk after the fact, or switch to oracle by default by updating the java alternatives.

update-java-alternatives -s jdk-8-oracle-arm32-vfp-hflt
  2. For mongodb, you don't actually need to run that line to disable the default mongodb instance. Instead, run the following two commands. They will prevent the default mongodb server from starting, as the unifi controller starts its own instance of mongo automatically.

sudo systemctl disable mongodb
    sudo systemctl stop mongodb
  3. For the snappy java library, 5.5 comes with an updated version (5.5.20 includes 1.1.2). This version of snappy works perfectly fine on the Raspberry Pis

After these changes, the unifi controller should come up on boot without issue!

Re: UniFi Controller 5.5 on Raspberry Pi 2

Hi,

Thank you very much for clearing up the issue.

I was struggeling finding the cause, and it is working perfectly now.

Gr Rik

Re: UniFi Controller 5.5 on Raspberry Pi 2

[ Edited ]

H E R O! 

... thanks 

Re: UniFi Controller 5.5 on Raspberry Pi

Updated to account for a successful Raspberry Pi 1 installation.

Kudos: 1

Has anyone been able to access their pi controller from UniFi.ubnt.com through the default connection type? Each time I try, I get an error about a JNI library not loaded.

Thanks,

Adam
Kudos: 1

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I just installed it on a rasp 3.

The webserver seems to be running (get the unsecure website notification) only after that i'm getting a 500 error.

Any idea what it could be?

Thanks for this. I too followed Chris' guide and managed to install it on a Pi3 - Raspbian Stretch
Note on the guide, I installed Java8 separately.

My question might seem foolish, but I would appreciate beeing informed.

When I initially started my Raspberry, I chosed to go with Windows. So can I install UniFi Controler on my Raspberry running Windows or should I try first to reset my Raspberry to run Linux for Raspberry ? I don't know much on Linux!

Michel

Emerging Member
Kudos: 19

@MichelBoivin Learn Linux. Windows on a Pi is a slimmed down version with few practical applications out of the box.

Rasbpian can do most things you'd want a small server to do with plenty of guides and forums for support.

Raspberry Pi is a great way to start. While you are copying and pasting commands from guides/walkthrough's it's a very idea to crosscheck each command with the man pages or google. This was you'll achieve your goal of installing Unifi on a Raspberry Pi, while also leaning what each command means and how commands are structured.

Best of luck! Man Happy

Thank you very much hutchism for this support.

Cheers.

The link in the first post is broken, can someone post the full instructions here, or a link to a new set of instructions?

[ Edited ]

I just set up a Raspberry Pi 2 with the controller version 5.7 using the instructions on this page here. Everything is working perfectly so far, I'm really happy with it! Only thing I did differently was I used the full version of Raspbian instead of the lite version this person used and I set it up directly on the Pi instead of using SSH. Either way, it should work fine for you and anyone else who does it.

Kudos: 6

[ Edited ]

Probably easiest just to head over to https://unifipi.com and grab the image for free over there. It's bundled up and ready to go.

Kudos: 17
Solutions: 4

This looks perfect. I am thinking about to remove my cloud key and replace it with the pi3+ I have.

Is there any negative thing I should know, when using a raspi instead of cloud key? Is the performance better than with cloud key for the raspi 3?

Especially the speed of opening Hotspot portal page, when using a small picture in background is not so fine with cloud key. And the responsiveness of the web when opening could be better.

best regards
Torsten

Kudos: 6

[ Edited ]

So far I haven't noticed anything bad with it. I run 1x USG, 1x Switch and 2x AP's with no issues... I can't attest to the portal speed at this stage sorry. It seems to be pretty solid so far, and similar to the Cloud Keys I have at different sites. The only thing that's a little bit annoying is you have to go to the Webmin interface to update the UniFi software (Have to be on the same network and can't do it through the UniFi Cloud)... But that's much easier than having to SSH and run commands manually!! Plus you can have other services running on the Raspberry Pi too.

IMG_6053.png
IMG_6054.PNG
Kudos: 17
Solutions: 4

The cloud key has also a quard core SOC with 2GB ram (Raspi 3 1GB) but the internal storage is about 16gb + sdcard.

Maybe it´s a bit faster due to the internal storage. The raspi is not really fast on sdcard storage.

But I have no informations on the cpu from the cloudkey and it´s speed compared to raspi 3. For the first try it looks similar.

Anyway, Your setup is working out of the box without seeing a difference. The repository is using unify stabl, this should be perfect for most users. It´s very well done! Congratulations!

I copied a backup from an external installation and I am gonna try to do some speed tests next week.

I loove to do a raspi version, because I wanted to try installing some more things on it. P.e. pi-hole.net, https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-ssl-lets-encrypt/ and feste-ip.net. 

Lets Encrypt can be also interesting for you.

best regards
Torsten

Picked up a USG with a couple AP-Lite's and planning to install this week.  Was thinking of repurposing an old RP1 Model B instead of making a separate VM on my homelab esx env.  Will perfomance be an issue with an old RP1?  Just curious what others are using. 

Not a performance issue. I had one running as UniFi controller, DNS and DHCP server without any hiccups.
Kudos: 3

[ Edited ]

@KowenHouston wrote:

Probably easiest just to head over to https://unifipi.com and grab the image for free over there. It's bundled up and ready to go.

Many thanks for this. Saved me a huge amount of time and effort.

Presumably we can update the Controller in the usual way (using "sudo apt-get install unifi")?

Kind Regards, Stephen