Kudos: 1

UniFi Controller - Bypass password requirements?

Just got my UAC-AC-LR and booting my Ubuntu UnFi Controller to set them up.

It asks me for a user name and password. The password says it is weak. Fine. I put a better one and it says so-so and still doesn't allow me.

Look, that's fine that it warns me but honestly I just want to use that pass and period.

How do i bypass the password restriction? Thanks.

SuperUser
Kudos: 5107
Solutions: 1455

Re: UniFi Controller - Bypass password requirements?

you don't.  put in a decent password.

Highlighted
Kudos: 2

Wow. That's absurd. Guess I'll be returning my Unifi Security Gateway and purchasing something else. Glad I found this out before I purchased some APs and a switch. Sometimes it pays to dip a toe in the water first, so to speak.

It's a shame. I was fired up about switching to Ubiquiti products, but I have strong feelings about a vendor dictating password requirements ( at best it promotes a false sense of security ).
Established Member
Kudos: 428
Solutions: 86

@cj11363 wrote:
Wow. That's absurd. Guess I'll be returning my Unifi Security Gateway and purchasing something else. Glad I found this out before I purchased some APs and a switch. Sometimes it pays to dip a toe in the water first, so to speak.

It's a shame. I was fired up about switching to Ubiquiti products, but I have strong feelings about a vendor dictating password requirements ( at best it promotes a false sense of security ).

I find it ironic that a person who bought a UniFi "Security" Gateway would want to use weak passwords.

"...a vendor dictating password requirements ( at best it promotes a false sense of security )." Would you prefer they let you keep "password" as the password? That's never caused any problems, now has it?

Gregg

Kudos: 2

I would prefer that they let ME determine what sort of passwords I need, based on MY particular requirements ( e.g.: a pasword of "password" might be perfectly acceptable for some test environments, though it does not meet my particular requirements).  I understand that your requirements may very well be different than my requirements, but it does not follow that you should want to dictate my requirements.

FWIW, I found a work-around:

Within the WebGUI

1) Create a second superadmin account.

2) Log off the admin account.

3) Log in with the second superadmin account.

thanks,

--Charlie

Kudos: 35

Thanks for the workaround! This was really erking me as well

Emerging Member
Kudos: 30
Solutions: 3

[ Edited ]

This is truly absurd! My controller is well protected in a dedicated management-network. If an attacker would come this far, a so-and-so password on the UniFi controller would be the least of my concerns.

Notifying me of the not-so-great password: fine, but I am the admin of my network, I decide what strength is neeed!

Thanks for posting a workaround, will try that now.

Kudos: 64
Solutions: 10

Laughing at this thread! Smiley LOL Of all the things to complain about...

I just stood up a test controller, created a random password and saved it in my password manager. Why should I care what the password is if I don't even have to remember it? All of the admins here use a password manager I presume. Man Wink

--

Klint

Primary Innovator at Sprocket Technology
Ubiquiti Enterprise Wireless Admin

Setup and secure your UniFi SDN Controller the easy way! Check out the Easy UBNT project and view the source on GitHub. Also, try Vultr for hosting your cloud controller!