Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Kudos: 3
Solutions: 2

UniFi Controller Monitoring via SNMP

Is there anyway to monitor sites and AP's built in the UniFi controller via SNMP queries directly to the controller?

I love the flexibility and ease of installation of the UBNT AP's.  I deploy these at a handful of sites, using DHCP option 43 so the AP's just boot, call home to the controller, and download settings.  But the monitoring email from the controller for when AP's get disconnected is not sufficient to monitor AP status.  I know I can SNMP the APs, but if they were to reboot and get a new IP address from DHCP, my monitors would have to be updated. 

I can use static DHCP mappings to ensure the AP's get the same IP every time and ensure my monitors stay intact.  But as I add sites, building site specific SNMP capabilities just gets cumbersome.  The ideal solution would be to poll the controller to retrieve AP status. 

I currently run my controller on the latest Ubuntu release.  I know I would need to install the SNMP agent package but from there I don't know what I would find in terms of polling the server for UniFi controller status and information.  Does anyone know if this is possible?

Kudos: 55
Solutions: 7

Re: UniFi Controller Monitoring via SNMP

[ Edited ]

I think you can't cause they didn't publish MIBs

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Feature-Requests/publish-SNMP-MIBs/idi-p/828124

But i can be wrong.

Kudos: 3
Solutions: 2

Well, published MIBs are one thing; being able to actually pull any OID from the controller itself is another.  Since there are no controller specific SNMP settings, I am not hopeful either, but I guess I am trying to figure out if I'd get anything out of the server specifically related to controller status. 

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1081
Solutions: 309

[ Edited ]

Have you tried an SNMP walker?

*EDIT* Sorry, thought you were trying to get info from the USG not the controller.  Don't think the controller works that way, but there is an HTTP based API that you can use to get this kind of info.

Cheers,

Andrew

Kudos: 1

old thread worth re-invigorating.

I have the 4.8 controller with SNMP documented and enabled in the Site part of Settings, but I don't see how it works. There is no port number listed and the unifi daemon is not listening on port 161. So, how does this work? What does this enable exactly? Is it not SNMP on the controller but each AP in the domain, or is it something else? The documentation is only a couple of short paragraphs about enabling it but says almost nothing about practical use.

Kudos: 1

Enabling SNMP via UniFi Controller GUI turns on the TinySNMPd daemon on each UAP. You query the management IP for the UAPs themselves, not the UniFi Controller IP. Also note that it is SNMP v1 only at present.

I don't think there's any SNMP service provided by the UniFi Controller (v5) itself at present.

An indirect solution could be implemented via use of a standalone SNMPd, the "extend" function (available in Net-SNMP suite), and API calls to the UniFi Controller. To keep the SNMP side of things responsive, it'd probably be best that whatever is called via the "extend" function is working from a cached dataset (e.g. parsing output from a cron-job), rather than executing the API calls synchronously.

SuperUser
Kudos: 3332
Solutions: 323

A general note if you normally don't look at the beta forum you may wish to - new goodies for those that like to monitor their kit via SNMP.

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204908664-How-To-Signup-for-Beta-Access 

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!

Having wifi problems? Take a look here first: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP

[ Edited ]

I have a new toyUbnt Banana

Observium.

Could I ask: is there any reason why my UAP-PRO can be added in Observium while my normal UAP can not?

[code]

Adding host 192.168.2.4 community 1234 port 161
Trying v1 community 1234 ...
No reply on community 1234 using v1.
Could not reach 192.168.2.4 with given SNMP parameters using v1.[/code]

I did exactly the same for the UAP-PRO, and that does work. Both AP's are managed by the same Controller, and have the same Firmware (my looong thread of yesterday and today).

Isn't the normal UAP not SNMP-capable(?)

(Why doesn't [code] and [quote]  work on this forum?)
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 449
Solutions: 15

What Firmware versions are you running? Can you SSH into the UAP and execute ps and see if the tinysnmp daemon is running? You can also just post the output here, and I can look at it.

Want to try out new features or fixes before they're released as Stable? Sign up for Beta here: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204908664-How-To-Signup-for-Beta-Access