Re: UniFi Controller on Synology NAS HOWTO

Thanks for this write-up. I'm curious though, does a similar guide exist for getting the controller to run natively on the NAS? I know I'd need to install Java, but after that, it seems a bit more murky. Since there is an official linux package available, it seems it shouldn't be too much trouble once you satisfy all the necessary prerequisites.
Kudos: 13

[ Edited ]

Quite frankly, the Docker image is exactly what you’re asking for: the official Linux package with all prerequisites met and included (so no need to worry about them). It runs natively on your NAS. Especially if you’re not running other JVM based services I really can’t think of a single reason why you wouldn’t want to go for the Docker image (if your NAS supports Docker that is...). 

Kudos: 6
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

Because running the Docker version is, relatively speaking, a pain? I mean, if it runs natively and updates as a package, why would one bother with the Docker?

Also, every time you update your stupid docker post it emails me. I followed this thread because it might get updated with useful information, but you've made it completely annoying. So I have the choice of unfollowing and possibly missing something useful, or some days getting 10 emails because you couldn't decide where to put a space or a period.

If you want to make a guide that you regularly update, have the courtesy to post it as a stand alone thread, not on page 14 of an existing discussion thread.

[ Edited ]

Because running the Docker is more of a pain than running it native?

Also, if you want to have a "guide" that you maintain and constantly update, sometimes as many as 10 times a day at one point, please make it a stand alone thread . You spam the inboxes of everyone who follows this thread when edit.

Pretty sure this info exists in prior pages, but the quick answer is you need Java, which is provided on *most* boxes, but not those running on a few specific platforms, notably Realtek platforms like the DS218play. Once you have Java installed there's a guy who maintains a repository at http://synology.acmenet.ru/. It's pretty straightforward. The only complication has been that at one point Synology didn't update their Java package for a long time and new versions didn't work. That's not a problem anymore, though I think Synology's Java is out of date again.

Re: UniFi Controller Running on Synology NAS

[ Edited ]

The Docker and acmenet.ru repo are likely fine for most people.  But in the absence of an official Synology package by Ubiquiti, I'd like to eschew unofficial sources, and install the linux control that Ubiquiti provides.  I know I'll need to install Java.  It seems I may just embark on the journey myself; I'll document as I go, and if I can get it working, I'll post the steps here for future reference.

It's a bit difficult searching for info on this since anyone who asks, always gets diverted to the docker or 3rd party repo solution.  I'll also go back and read this thread in it's entirety, perhaps I missed something when I quickly browsed it prevously.

If I'm unsuccessful, I'll likely have to get a Cloud Key.

Kudos: 13

@oryan_dunnwrote:

But in the absence of an official Synology package by Ubiquiti, I'd like to eschew unofficial sources, and install the linux control that Ubiquiti provides.

Fully agree with you on that one. Actually, UBNT does provide a Docker image for the UNMS controller, so I hope they will provide one for UniFi controller as well one day.

In the meanwhile, you can find the source to build the Docker image on github. You could take a look at the source there to build everything yourself from the sources you control. As a Docker image or natively - as the source (look for the file “Dockerfile”) will reveal eveything that’s needed... 

Kudos: 1

[ Edited ]

Alexander's version is definetly working on the latest DSM, upgraded today from 5.6.35 to 5.6.36 without any issues.

Just add acmenet repo and download the latest version, let it run for a while until it populates the db, then:

- stop the package
- ssh into DSM
- go to /volume1/@appstore/Unifi\ Controller\ 5/data
- edit the system.properties, at the end add those 2 lines

unifi.https.ciphers=TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA,TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA
unifi.https.sslEnabledProtocols=TLSv1.2,TLSv1.1,TLSv1,SSLv2Hello

- save, launch the package, wait a minute or two
- browse with any browser to https://DSM-IP:8443 and proceed config

i imported a backup from a 5.6.21 i had running in a VM without problems, upgraded the controller to the latest version over DSM package manager and works too.

PROOF (DSM 6.1.5-15254 Update 1, Chrome on Windows):

unifi.PNGunifi2.PNG

Did you have any mongo DB issues? I found that I had to update mongo to get Unifi to run properly.

nope, i didn't have to mess with mongo, the binary inside the /bin folder is from Feb 24 the one that cames with the package.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 2

Are there any plans to run Version 5.7.xx on Synology NAS? Or did sombody succeedd to update the NAS installation to this version?

Kudos: 3

I, too, would like to know.

Alexander managed to push version 5.7.20 (flagged beta) on his repository, upgraded my 5.6.36 perfectly fine and db migrated without issues.

245345.PNG23123.PNG

Kudos: 101
Solutions: 5

[ Edited ]

Yep, also running 5.7.23 now on Synology through the Acmenet Package, working very well Man Happy

UniFi solutions for everyone!
Highlighted

Where can I get the Acement package?

Here: http://synology.acmenet.ru/ Just add that to your synology package center as repo and you can simply install it.

I must be missing something.  I'm not seeing a version over 5.6.37 Acmenet

Where do you not see that? Under package center in your synology you need to enable show beta Man Wink (Settings > Beta)

I just installed Unifi Controller 5.7.28-180529-beta on my DS418play running DSM 6.1.7-15284. After making the config changes that Pigr8 noted above, I was able to get to the web page using Chrome after accepting a security warning. I restored a backup from Unifi Controller 5.7.23 with mixed results. It seems like it restored the backup and then immediately crashed. I had to start Unifi Controller again from DSM and now it seems to load just fine. I attached the server log in case anyone wants to take a look

Thanks for everyone's efforts, comments, solutions, and shared experiences. I haven't poked around too much yet but this community seems pretty helpful!

Thanks @sebastianvad

That worked a treat on my RS814+ but I'm noting a faily high memory use. I have 4GB on my NAS (Max) but it seems a bit high. What is yours?

ScreenGrab705.jpg