Scheduled maintenance: Community will be offline Monday June 17th, 1:00 AM - 6:00 AM (PT)
Kudos: 30
Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

UniFi Controller Running on Synology NAS

Curious if anyone is successfully running the unifi controller on a NAS system like Synology or has any insight on doing so.
twitter @wifi_guy

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 52
Solutions: 6

Re: UniFi Controller Running on Synology NAS

Resolved.  I followed older / earlier instructions in the thread to install Java.  The UniFi controller 2.4.4 and mongodb 2.20 started fine after using the Synology Java install.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 1

UniFi controller

Curious if anyone is successfully running the unifi controller on a NAS system like Synology or has any insight on doing so.

I used it successfully on AWS. Tried also to use OpenWRT+some custom scripts to manage the UNIFI remotely and at last tried and Tanasa.

Why do you want to do it Synology?
Kudos: 609
Solutions: 17

Since it requires Java, check if you have an x86 based NAS, it will likely simpler there.
You may likely want to install optware and install openjdk and mongodb with IPKG?

Limiting factor definitely will be amount of memory in your NAS, the controller requires some horsepower and free memory to run.

It seems some QNAP users are using it on their NAS as well as some pfSense firewall people. So yes: with some hacking one can bring up UniFi on embedded OS as long as Java and MongoDB are available.
http://github.com/unifi-hackers/unifi-api
Kudos: 1

Could be interesting, though I think most of the smaller units are ARM Marvell CPUs and RAM could be an issue as some are very cut down (256mb)
Many thanks,
Rob

Great Baddow High School
Great Britain
Kudos: 8

anyone got any idea how to do this?
i got a RS812+ with 3GB ram and nice cpu Man Happy
Kudos: 26

I've been able to get this running on my DS1512+. Take a peek here for some details. I was able to modify some of the SPK files from Bramfm to work on my system. I cant say what synology systems these packages will work on. All i can say is that they work on my DS1512+

http://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi/Unifi-server-hosted-on-Qnap-QKPG/td-p/257532

Give these files a go if you like but use them at your own risk. So far i have not run into any issues. You will need to have java installed using the built in synology Java package

Mongodb

Unifi239

Unifi243

I eventually want to get a handfull of aircams for my house. I would like to try and get the airvision2 software running on my DS1512+ w/ 3GB ram. Im hoping it can handle 5-8 cams without impacting the performance of other services it hosts. If not im going to look into the new NVR and see about running Airvision and UniFi on that.

[ Edited ]

Hi rabbit,

I'm trying to create a synology package with unify version 3.1.3... because I need the roaming feature working.

...I built the package, it installs, but it does't start... exactly like with bramfm version... your mods for me where working.. so, what did you change on your version exactly to make it start?

I tried to use your start-stop-status file, so with the right java path, this (after a reboot), let the service run.. but the management web page just doesn't load.

Im not sure why your package wont start but i have not tried to create an spk for V3 yet. When i initially installed the unifi package the synology needed a fresh boot and the service would enter the running state. For troubleshooting this i would try to ssh into your nas and run the start command from the start stop status file. This should output some info into the console and may give you a better idea of what the issue may be. I dont know if there are any special requirements for running v3. It could be that the v3 package needs a certain version of java or mongodb, but i dont know for sure. It could also be that the syntax might differ from v2 to v3.

If you are interseted in an newer version of mongodb i was able to get some assistance from bramfm again. Its not the latest but it is newer  2.2.0

I know you are not looking for a v2 of unifi but i have the latest version running for a while now and have not had any issues. Keep in mind im using in a SOHO environment with 1AP and about 10-15 devices

Unifi2.4.4

MongoDB2.2.0

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1583
Solutions: 94

you might find a clue here

similar problem solved on a lesser server than yours

R+C

Kudos: 179
Solutions: 11

Greetings Rabbit,

I'm not able to install the mongodb on my 1813+. Any thoughts on how to debug it or troubleshoot it?

Looks like I'm encountering: Aug  2 13:58:11 PkgMan.cgi: pkginstall.cpp:77 Fail to get spk file, /volume1/@tmp/upload_tmp.17866

Im no expert on synology nor mongodb but if you can provide an error or some description I can see what I can do

That's the only error I'm seeing in /var/log/messages.

When I do the install from the web ui, I pick manual install, choose the file from earlier in this post (220), and it takes me through the steps. When I get to confirm settings, I pick apply, and I see this:

This package has been successfully installed. You can click "Run" to activate the package service now.

Failed to run the package service.

And at that same moment I see that line in var/log/messages

Hmmm ive never really looked at the logs to be honest. The package is not startable so the message that it failed to run the package can be expected. I would try to install java then unifi and see what happens. Im curious how it goes, please post your progress.

I've installed java package, installed the oracle java binary, and I've also tried tomcat to make sure java is working, however, however the unifi package isn't allowing me to chose the run option, and even though I can see the synology is listening on port 8443, I cant seem to open a browser to it.

Veteran Member

have you confirmed that java is working?

If java IS working, then try installing MongoDB and see if you can get that to start.

This way you narrow down where the ptoblem is.

R+C

After installing the unifi package I found that a restart of the nas would usually get the unifi server to start.
Have you done a restart of the nas?

After a restart it came up on the port and allowed me to enter my initial setup information, however it isn't giving me my access point to adopt.

And now that problem is gone also.

I'd say there's really only a few issues with this.

The mongodb package probably should technically "start" even though it doesn't do anything.

The unifi package should inform the user that they need to install java.

The unifi package should inform the user that it cant be installed without java, just like the tomcat package does.

Having to restart the nas is a bit strange.

I also agree with the OP, I would like a 3.x package, as I may want the zero handoff features in 3.

Veteran Member

@cgoudie wrote:

And now that problem is gone also.

I'd say there's really only a few issues with this.

The mongodb package probably should technically "start" even though it doesn't do anything.

Well, why don't you test it is running by using something like MongoVue to display the DB.

@cgoudie wrote:

The unifi package should inform the user that they need to install java.

The unifi package should inform the user that it cant be installed without java, just like the tomcat package does.

Well its a given, if you are running a java package......

Having to restart the nas is a bit strange.

Strange? How?

I'd be fascinated to know exactly which applications really, really require the zero handoff features, game play and VoIP, spring to mind, most other stuff is buffered.

Synology NAS is pretty darn good and short of the terrawall of SSD filth, is hard to beat, it handles my HD video editing requirements.

R+C