Highlighted
Kudos: 15

UniFi Controller on Different Regions - Layer 3 Amazon AWS

[ Edited ]

UniFi Controller on Different Regions - Layer 3 Amazon AWS

See Installing Controller in the Cloud - Amazon AWS Wiki

The UniFi Controller 2.3.9 Instance created by Ubiquiti only exist in the US East Coast as of May 2013.

To deploy L3 Controller on different region, if the original Kernel ID is available on the target region:

1. Simply create an instance based on the original UniFi 2.3.9 AMI (Just search for UniFi in the East Coast AMI Manager, you want to make sure the filter is set to Public AMI)

2. Create a private AMI from your current instance created in Step 1

3. Use 'Copy AMI' in the AMI Manager and specify the target region

4. Switch to your target region and check the status of your transferred AMI

5. [NOTICE] If the status of the AMI in the target region shows 'Available' after a couple of minutes, proceed to step 6. If it's 'Failed', you might want to skip this and scroll down the page for applicable steps

6. If the status becomes 'Available', simply create an instance from that AMI in the target region and you're good to go.

7. Do NOT forget to create a new Security Group, UniFi, with

TCP 8080

TCP 8443

TCP 8880

TCP 8843

TCP 22

UDP 3478

ICMP ANY [ICMP is optional, it's the port which respond to network diagnostic such as ping, which is quite useful]

To deploy L3 Controller on different region, if the original Kernel ID is not available on the target region (Fail status appear when Copy AMI is executed):

1. Make a snapshot of your current Instance in the East Coast Region

2. Use 'Copy Snapshot' from the snapshot manager to target region

3. Navigate to the target region and check the status of the transferred snapshot

3. Now, this is where things get quite complicated

Search for other public Ubuntu AMI in the target region which use the same OS and config as the original UniFi Instance.

You might want to look for it in Official Ubuntu AMI on EC2 Database.

It contains list of official Public Ubuntu AMIs created by Ubuntu itself.

For your information, the current UniFi AMI by Ubiquiti use:

Ubuntu Precise 12.04 as the base OS

AMD64 as it's architecture

ebs as their instance type.

You should look for that configs in the table provided before with the corresponding target region.

4. Take note of the Kernel/AKI-ID from the table in Step 3

5. Now from the snapshot manager on the target region, use 'Create AMI' option

6. When asked, specify the Kernel ID obtained from Step 4

7. When AMI is successfully created on the target region, open AMI Manager and launch the image as an instance

8. Create a new Security Group, UniFi, with

TCP 8080

TCP 8443

TCP 8880

TCP 8843

TCP 22

UDP 3478

ICMP ANY [ICMP is optional, it's the port which respond to network diagnostic such as ping, which is quite useful]

9. If you're not sure, you can specify the Kernel ID to use the Kernel ID obtained in Step 4 again (although it's probably unnecessary as you have set the Kernel ID in Step 6)

10. 2 Check Passes will be granted in the Status Check column when Instance are successfully created in the target region.

My experience with the absence of the original Kernel ID is in the SouthEast AsiaPacific Region (Sydney).

I use Kernel ID : aki-31990e0b in SouthEast AsiaPacific Region (Sydney)

The reason I'm migrating my controller to Sydney is because:

It's closer to my location which contribute in lower latency between the controller and my computer.

I'm getting around 300-500ms of ping from the East Coast region to Indonesia which is very slow. (Very noticeable)

And only 150-250ms of ping from Sydney to Indonesia.

That's HALF the latency!

And by the end of the month I'll even get lower latency as I'm moving to Sydney.

DO NOT FORGET to terminate unused instance in the East Coast Region! (as well as any snapshot and Private AMIs)

Failure to do so will allow Amazon to charge you for with their Pro Data Usage.

Amazon Free Tier Usage only allow you to run 750 hours of Micro Linux Instances in a month (which is exactly 1 instance per month given that the instance always run 24/7)

See more of the Free Usage Tier Agreements in Amazon Website

You might also want to check:

Adopting your Existing APs to set-inform to L3 Controller Address (No Factory Reset - SSH)

Upgrading or Building Your Own UniFi Controller 3.1.1 in Layer 3 Amazon AWS

Java Home Directory Fail Issue on Ubuntu - RESOLVED

If you're to lazy to do all the steps, you might want to search UniFi 3.1.1 in the Public AMIs list and run your instance from that AMI. It contains a clean install of UniFi 3.1.1 on Ubuntu Precise 12.04. It's currently available in both the East Coast and Sydney.

N. Virginia = ami-fb264e92

Sydney = ami-3126b60b

Regards,

JAP

Kudos: 3

Re: UniFi Controller on Different Regions - Layer 3 Amazon AWS

Hi Joshua,

Could you please give us information how much traffic does this unifi server generate each month on amazon server, this will be very informative for us.

Thank you