Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Accepted Solution

UniFi Controller will not discover AP

I just replaced my home AP with a UniFi AP-AC-LR.  The AP is able to obtain an IP address via DHCP.  I installed the UniFi Controller software (5.5.20) on a Windows 10 Pro desktop PC, but the server is unable to discover the AP.  I installed the UniFi app on my Android smartphone and it is able to detect and configured the AP.  I used the app to upgrade the AP to the latest firmware and configure the appropriate SSID, etc.  The AP is working just fine and all my clients can associate with it and gain network access.

Still, I would like to have the controller software working.  I have tried several things I found on the forums to resolve this. (173.31.0.9 is the IP of the Windows PC running the controller.  The PC has a WiFi interface connected to the AP, no wired connection)

1) Disabled the Windows firewall, ssh to the AP and execute the "set-inform http:/172.31.0.9:8080/inform" command.  No change.

2) Downgraded to Java SE 7 (from 8) and reinstall the Controller.  Ran the set-inform command with no change.

3) Run the Discovery Utility that comes with the Controller.   It does not detect the AP.

4) Downloaded Ubiquiti Discovery 2.4.1 from the Ubiquiti website and run it on the Windows 10 PC.  This app DOES detect the AP and shows the correct IP address, firmware version, etc for it.

I'm at a loss as to what else i can try here.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Kudos: 963
Solutions: 277

Re: UniFi Controller will not discover AP

I'm not 100% sure, as I've never done it that way, but I think that if you configure an AP using the Android software alone (i.e. without a controller) then it won't appear in any controller.

To get out of this situation, you'll need to reset the AP to factory settings, at which point it will show up in the controller (provided that the controller is on the same subnet).

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 440
Solutions: 17

Maybe antivirus is blocking it?
Highlighted
Kudos: 963
Solutions: 277

I'm not 100% sure, as I've never done it that way, but I think that if you configure an AP using the Android software alone (i.e. without a controller) then it won't appear in any controller.

To get out of this situation, you'll need to reset the AP to factory settings, at which point it will show up in the controller (provided that the controller is on the same subnet).

andyc wrote:

You were right.  Factory resetting the AP and letting the server pick it up worked.  I was hestitant to reset it since the network was working fine and because the PC that I wanted to run the server on was only connected wirelessly.  I had to reconnect my old AP using the same SSID so that the Windows PC would be on the same layer 2 network as the UAP connected to my Ethernet switch.  Once the PC adopted the UAP I was able to configure it using the same SSID, then shut off the old AP and let everything reassociate with the UAP.  While both APs were online the UAP noted the old AP as a rogue on the same SSID, which was nice to see work.

Thanks for your help!