Highlighted
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1263
Solutions: 218
Accepted Solution

UniFi Device Search tool; updates and discussion

[ Edited ]

I have developed a UniFi device search tool (partially sponsored by one of the community members) that might be of use to others as well. In short, it allows you to quickly find a single UniFi device,  or a group of devices, across all sites on a controller by using multiple filters and a search option. The results can quickly be exported to CSV and Excel.

The tool also supports fast switching between multiple controllers.

I am either considering open-sourcing this tool, much like my API browser tool and the PHP API client class or offering it for a modest license fee, just to cover my time spent on developing and supporting it. This is why I'm looking for feedback on the functionality of the tool itself and which licensing approach would work well with those looking for such a solution.

EDIT: I have given this some further thought and since this an operational tool which will help the users save valuable time, I have decided to offer the tool for a modest license fee. This will help fund further development of the tool and the underlying API client class; I have received some interesting suggestions which I plan to incorporate in future releases of the tool.

For further details on the UniFi Device search tool, please visit this URL: https://artofwifi.net/?portfolio=unifi-device-search-tool&lang=en There's a link to a contact form here to request more details and pricing information.

A demo of the tool can be found here: http://search-tool-demo.artofwifi.net/

Here are a few screenshots to give you a feel.

The main view with the AP table:

main_view.PNG

The switch table view:

switch_view.PNG

The USG table view:

usg_view.PNG

Switching controllers:

controller_select.PNG

Filter by site:

site_filter.PNG

Column selector:

column_selector.PNG

The theme selector:

theme_selector.PNG

The main view using the Yeti theme:main_view_yeti_theme.PNG

Looking forward to your feedback!

Art of WiFi
Check out our UniFi API browser tool on GitHub. The PHP API client which it uses, can be found here on GitHub.
Our UniFi Device Search tool can be found here, and our Captive Portal solutions for UniFi can be found here.

Accepted Solutions
Veteran Member

Re: Any interest in a UniFi device search tool?

Thanks for all the great feedback!

Since this an operational tool which will help the users save valuable time I have decided to offer the tool for a modest license fee. This will help fund further development of the tool; I have received some interesting suggestions which I plan to incorporate in future releases.

For further details on the UniFi Device search tool, please visit this URL: https://artofwifi.net/?portfolio=unifi-device-search-tool&lang=en

There is also a link to a contact form for more details and pricing information.

Art of WiFi
Check out our UniFi API browser tool on GitHub. The PHP API client which it uses, can be found here on GitHub.
Our UniFi Device Search tool can be found here, and our Captive Portal solutions for UniFi can be found here.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 41
Solutions: 4

@slooffmaster That's pretty awesome compared to the UBNT discovery tool! Will this discover Cloud Keys? Based on the pics this will work remotely?

Veteran Member

MFilmWorks17 wrote:

@slooffmaster That's pretty awesome compared to the UBNT discovery tool! Will this discover Cloud Keys? Based on the pics this will work remotely?

@MFilmWorks17 Thanks. This tool will work for all UniFi devices that are under management of a controller, that means it will not present any Cloud Keys I'm afraid...

The tool will be of benefit to those managing many sites on one or multiple controllers in finding a specific device (e.g. by MAC address or serial number) or groups of devices (e.g. by model or by firmware version). The Excel export function can also come in handy.

Art of WiFi
Veteran Member

Oh, and to answer your last question; this tool can be installed anywhere (remotely) as long as it can connect to the controller(s) through port 8443.

Art of WiFi
Veteran Member

@MFilmWorks17  @Vestas @Nick_Mitec

I installed a demo version of the UniFi Device Search tool which points to Ubiquiti's demo controller, demo.ubnt.com, here:

http://search-tool-demo.artofwifi.net/

This is running on the smallest DigitalOcean Droplet, so please be gentleIcon Wink

Let me know what you guys think.

Art of WiFi
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the great feedback!

Since this an operational tool which will help the users save valuable time I have decided to offer the tool for a modest license fee. This will help fund further development of the tool; I have received some interesting suggestions which I plan to incorporate in future releases.

For further details on the UniFi Device search tool, please visit this URL: https://artofwifi.net/?portfolio=unifi-device-search-tool&lang=en

There is also a link to a contact form for more details and pricing information.

Art of WiFi
Veteran Member

Re: UniFi Device Search tool; updates and discussion

[ Edited ]

Version 1.0.4 of the UniFi Device Search tool has been released following some positive user feedback. More details here:

https://artofwifi.net/portfolio/unifi-device-search-tool/?lang=en

Updated demo here:

https://search-tool-demo.artofwifi.net/

An updated screenshot:

USDT-1.0.4.PNG

If there are any useful features you would like to see implemented in this tool which aren't available through the UniFi controller, please let me know.

Art of WiFi
Veteran Member

[ Edited ]

Version 1.0.7 of this tool has been released for testing to several customers.

It has the following changes/improvements:

• throttling and queueing of AJAX requests within the tool itself to prevent "hammering" the UniFi controller
  • max number of concurrent AJAX requests can be defined in the config file (see the config template for an example, a good value is between 4-6)
  • you can now disable the "all devices" tab through the config file (see the config template for an example) which can be useful if your browser runs into memory issues with large numbers of devices
  • AJAX errors are now displayed on the page if they occur

These changes have been implemented to support VERY large environments with controllers holding over 1000 sites and over 6000 devices.

An updated demo is available here:

Art of WiFi
Emerging Member
Kudos: 6
Solutions: 3

[ Edited ]

Hi Sloof,

I purchased your tool and I love it! I run a very large controller and losing a device in it can turn into a huge time waste finding it. 

Your tool works really well and is easy to set up. I found that the search tool is easy to set up using WAMP since WAMP comes with an installer and everything running out of the box that you need to run your tool.

Cheers!

Veteran Member

@jtiller wrote:

Hi Sloof,

I purchased your tool and I love it! I run a very large controller and losing a device in it can turn into a huge time waste finding it. 

Your tool works really well and is easy to set up. I found that the search tool is easy to set up using WAMP since WAMP comes with an installer and everything running out of the box that you need to run your tool.

Cheers!

Thanks for the great feedback: glad you like it! 

If you have any suggestions for new or improved functionality, please do let me know.

Art of WiFi
Veteran Member

The latest update adds some cosmetic improvements including the dynamic change of the theme (without requiring a reload of the page and re-fetching the data).

Art of WiFi
Emerging Member
Kudos: 6
Solutions: 3

Hey Sloof, I'm using the newest version. It works well! I like the Darkly theme.

Veteran Member

[ Edited ]

@jtiller wrote:

Hey Sloof, I'm using the newest version. It works well! I like the Darkly theme.

Thanks! My favorite theme actually depends on my mood; Flatly, Darkly, or CeruleanIcon Wink

One reason I decided to implement the new dynamic theme switching.

Art of WiFi