Veteran Member
Kudos: 5292
Solutions: 78

UniFi Hotspot - Multiple Devices - One Account

[ Edited ]

Is there a way in UniFi to allow someone to buy a hotspot plan at full price, and then either give them a voucher to connect X number of other devices, or buy connections for X other devices for some reduced price.

Basically - right now we have people who authenticate their laptop, and then have to call us every month to authenticate (manually) their phone and BlueRay player in our hospitality environments.

This is something I've asked for since like 2008.

Basically:

Customer buys plan at full price, then either gets a voucher good for X other devices, or the option to buy "Additional connections" for Y price.  Can this be done currently?  Last I knew UNIFI still authenticates based on MAC address, so it's not even account based where you can have X devices connected at one time.

Established Member
Kudos: 857
Solutions: 85
Contributions: 1

Re: UniFi Hotspot - Multiple Devices - One Account

This kind of scenario cannot be handled by the embedded UniFi voucher subsystem, for sure. You'll need to get your own portal developed for your needs, and get it running as an external portal. Each device authentication will still happen by mac address, there's no other way for the wifi system to recognize a device from its mac address. There's no owner, user, additional, nothing like this, there's only mac addresses.

Or you can get a solution like this running completly out of the knowledge of the UniFi wifi network. Just get it running on your gateway (a Mikrotik for example) and it will make no difference for the UniFi system, your gateway will manage your users, vouchers, things like that.

Without using a gateway that can handle your needs, or without coding your own external portal to meet your requirements, for SURE UniFi, and its embedded voucher subsystem, cannot handle your requirements.

Solutti Tecnologia Ltda - Goiânia/Goiás/Brazil
www.solutti.com.br / www.wifiquefunciona.com.br
Ubiquiti Enterprise Wireless Admin (UEWA) certified
did my answer helped you ? if yes, i would love your kudos on it Man Happy
Veteran Member

Which is what I thought. And which is a shame. 

Highlighted
Established Member

@mhoppes wrote:

Which is what I thought. And which is a shame. 

Why it's a shame ? UniFi is not a hotspot solution, it's a wifi solution. It has some hotspot builtin functions, that are OK for some, but will *NEVER* be 100% OK for 100% of the users.

Your needs really claim for a real hotspot solution, which UniFi is not, never intended and never announced itself to be.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1357
Solutions: 235

@mhoppes These requirements are indeed quite specific and AFAIK no WiFi vendor platform will support this out of the box. We’ve built similar captive portals with self-service features like what you’re looking for, so it’s definitely possible, but only with a custom solution.

PM me if you wish to discuss options offline.

Art of WiFi
Check out our UniFi API browser tool on GitHub. The PHP API client which it uses, can be found here on GitHub.
The thread on our UniFi Device Search tool can be found here, also check out our Captive Portal solutions for UniFi.
Veteran Member

I disagree. Being able to create an account, pay, and have Y number of concurrent sessions is not at all specific. 

UniFi claims to have hotspot functions. But they are very limited. Which is a shame. 

Established Member

@mhoppes wrote:

I disagree. Being able to create an account, pay, and have Y number of concurrent sessions is not at all specific. 

UniFi claims to have hotspot functions. But they are very limited. Which is a shame. 

You're trying to use MS Word to fullfill your CAD needs. That can't go right. UniFi is a wifi solution which *DO* has limited hotspot functionality and, if that's not enough to you, methods to get your own solution running as hotspot on the top of the wifi solution.

Crying is useless, UniFi is not a full-featured hotspot solution, it was never announced as that, it was never that. No wifi solution, from no vendor, will fullfill your needs without using third-party external hotspot solutions, that's not a UniFi thing only.

At the end, if you consider UniFi is a shame, just get any other vendor and you'll find that no one of them will have the features you need because, guess what, they are WIFI solutions, not hotspot ones.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1357
Solutions: 235

@mhoppes wrote:

These requirements are much less specific than your initial ones mind you. For offline purchase the multi-device vouchers work fine for such a case. I agree it’s a pity you can’t purchase multi-device vouchers online but fortunately they do offer a good integration method.

Art of WiFi
Check out our UniFi API browser tool on GitHub. The PHP API client which it uses, can be found here on GitHub.
The thread on our UniFi Device Search tool can be found here, also check out our Captive Portal solutions for UniFi.