Emerging Member
Kudos: 76
Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

UniFi Hotspot RADIUS Portal Authentication

I am working on a hotspot project and I have some specific requirements for the hardware and software.

• AP supports either a login portal per SSID, or allows local-account and RADIUS login on the same

page
• The local accounts can be both time-limited (expiration dates) and data-cap/usage-limited
• Each SSID can have a different authentication mechanism
• The AP must support time and byte limits as returned by the RADIUS_AUTH_ACCEPT packet.

• The link between the AP and the controller must be securable in such a way that a wise-guy with a laptop cannot jack in without being captured by a portal (VLAN or L2TP to the controller)

I like what I've seen in both the forums and the FAQ for customization and deployment. I would like to know if anyone has seen anything regarding RADIUS authentication and control via the portal.

Cheers,

-NJ

Accepted Solutions
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 4815
Solutions: 197

Re: UniFi Hotspot RADIUS Portal Authentication

Old thread, but see here: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005255907
Currently in Beta, soaking.
Want to try out new features or fixes before they're released as Stable? Sign up for Beta here: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204908664-How-To-Signup-for-Beta-Access

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 24

Nickjay-

Tried to send you a PM but you have them switched off.

Please message me back.

Emerging Member

huh, I cannot seem to message people privately. weird. try emailing me at njoldersma (at) gmail (dot) com.

Kudos: 24

Unifi hotspot doesn't do what we want.

We run Mikrotik hotspot backended by our own AAA and record keeping/billing system.

Works great.

Ralph

Emerging Member

We run a full 4ipnet hotspot solution in a hotel/restaurant/lounge/cafe and it's been running well for years. It's a pain in the rear to configure, their support is only on taiwanese time, and it has limited reporting and analytics. The main reason we keep using it is because it has a pin pad for printing out on-demand accounts for guests, and it does volume based account creation for on-demand accounts. We have primarily satellite based internet in the arctic north and internet access costs a premium. Offering speed/time based internet access to guests is simply not an option. being able to limit and charge for volume based access, we are able to recoup the costs of providing internet access. 

I would love to deploy a Ubiquiti solution, however there are some features we need before we can do so.

Kudos: 206
Solutions: 5

You may want to look into the new Custom portal feature. You may be able to accomplish something to what you want.
UEWA Certified
Kudos: 6

which is the new custom portal feature?

Kudos: 206
Solutions: 5

Emerging Member

mhankosky wrote:
You may want to look into the new Custom portal feature. You may be able to accomplish something to what you want.

I just looked through some forum posts on that, looks like the custom voucher and customized hotspot crews have made some incredible progress! I'll have to spend a friday playing around with our UniFi AP and see what I can come up with.

Kudos: 6

hello,

i didn't see any change regarding voucher and hotspot since 2.4.6...

Ubiquiti Employee

Old thread, but see here: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005255907
Currently in Beta, soaking.
Want to try out new features or fixes before they're released as Stable? Sign up for Beta here: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204908664-How-To-Signup-for-Beta-Access
Emerging Member

Combined with all the updates that has happened with the controller since the original post, I think the Hotspot side of the Unifi system is pretty much fully featured to my wants and wims.

Except, it would be perfect if I could get a pin-pad and ticket printer that can spit out vouchers on-demand... Please?

Ubiquiti Employee

Heh, someone did make that - there's story on it in unifi community stories, and I believe it another solution was featured on Hackaday.

We're working on a system where vouchers can be texted and/or emailed.
Emerging Member

Yeah, I saw those. I'm probably going to make my own. I would love to see an official Ubiquiti one though. Your designs are so slick!

Hi! Excuse me if I'm missing something but I'm new here. I was searching the community in order to find information about radius integration with external portal. It seems to be available on beta 5.6.2+, as mention here (https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005255907), but I can't find a download link. I have signed the Beta program but I'm not able to get to the download site, I don't know if it has regional restrictions. Could you please tell me how could I download the Beta version. We have a Hotspot solution and I want to integrate it with Unifi. I wish to know if we have to develop something or just wait for the new version.

Thank you very much for your help. 

Best Regards.

Kudos: 86
Solutions: 20

joelalfredo wrote:

...but I can't find a download link. I have signed the Beta program but I'm not able to get to the download site, I don't know if it has regional restrictions. Could you please tell me how could I download the Beta version.

I don't think it has regional restrictions, as the participants seem to come from all around the globe, and I've never seen it mentioned.

When you did the Beta sign-up, did you get to the "...you have successfully joined... Welcome to the Team!" screen that is shown in step 4 of the instructions?

FWIW, here is a link directly to the UniFi Beta Blog, which is where the software releases are announced:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Beta-Blog/bg-p/Blog_UniFi_Beta

Maybe there's a delay after sign-up before the account is actually authorized?  Have you tried again, or can you try that link above?

Thank you very much!!. As you said, I had to wait, restart the session and now I have access.

Best regards.