UniFi - Lost username

I'm trying to log into my controller for my AP's, but it is asking for a username/password combination. I know the password (I'm at least fairly sure about it), but I can't seem to figure out the username. There doesn't seem to be a way to recover this.

I tried using the lost password link, but I think I didn't setup SMTP, because it doesn't do anything.

I tried factory resetting an AP but after that is still asks for the username/password.

I tried using the mobile app, but it refuses to connect after scanning the QR code. I also don't know if this would help me retrieve my username.

Is there a way to find/reset this?

Established Member
Kudos: 472
Solutions: 150

Re: UniFi - Lost username

Check out my post here, if you can still log in to the machine that the controller runs on:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Unifi-cloud-key-new-I-T-company/m-p/2244799#M278899

[ Edited ]

Thanks, that sounds like something I could use. But how do I SSH into the controller? I have it running on localhost, but it refuses an ssh connection to there.

edit: I understand now you are talking about CloudKey. I don't have CloudKey. Just 3 AP's that I configured using the Unifi Controller software.

Established Member
Kudos: 472
Solutions: 150

You mean you're running the controller on a Windows machine?

Go to a command prompt and try to run the commands. You might need to open the command prompt as Administrator (start menu, type cmd, then press ctrl-shift enter)

On a Mac actually. But I found that I can login using my email address, despite it asking for your username.

So problem solved! Thanks for the help!

Kudos: 4557
Solutions: 1185

[ Edited ]

Hello @pcvandam,

I would recommend saving your username somewhere and setting up SMTP, with a google account.

Or you could enable SSO logins, so you can login with your UBNT account ( will replace local credentials )

Settings > Cloud Access

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Highlighted

Might I add that UB's captcha is ridiculously out of control and irritating as heck.  Just had to get that out, sorry.  Carry on.