Emerging Member
Kudos: 11
Solutions: 1

Re: UniFi Network Controller 5.10.12 Stable has been released

I am using Ubuntu 16.04.  I have follwed the directions in the release notes on how to set APT sources and pgp keys etc.  But "apt update && apt upgrade" does not offer me to install 5.10.12 controller.  I remain at 4.9.29.  I have one USG-3P, one USW-8-POE, and one UAP-AC-Pro and all devices are on lates stable firmware version. 

How do I upgrade to 5.10.12 using standare Linx apt CLI commands ?

Emerging Member
Kudos: 9

@janth wrote:

I am using Ubuntu 16.04.  I have follwed the directions in the release notes on how to set APT sources and pgp keys etc.  But "apt update && apt upgrade" does not offer me to install 5.10.12 controller.  I remain at 4.9.29.  I have one USG-3P, one USW-8-POE, and one UAP-AC-Pro and all devices are on lates stable firmware version. 

How do I upgrade to 5.10.12 using standare Linx apt CLI commands ?

Aproximately around 1 week

Read the fine print at the botton of the blog post (and follow the link)

This release follows our staggered release structure which means it will initially be available via this blog post only. It will be posted to the download site and official repos in the near future. If you aren't familiar with our release structure, please take a moment to read our post HERE. Thanks!

Kudos: 3

@kalach_89 wrote:

Hi all. I upgraded our controller from 5.9.29 on Centos 7 VM.

I try to setup 2 AC-M. After adopting on device, they don't place on controller. I try to reset/hard reset devices, reset controller. Nothing help.

Restore snapshot before upgrade, devices stand in status adopted less than minute.

It's bug or new feature?

I found cause of problem.

List of device firmware in maintance -> firmware -> all was with only UniFi AP.

I stopped controller, recopied DL folder from install dir, rechowned Unifi rights on folder, started controller, some times pushed cache/delete button on UniFi AP fw, and list of device goes full.

After that new devices starts adopted.

Kudos: 2

I updated my Java to 1.8.0_201 (old one was 1.8.0_65) and updated the controller on my raspberry pi to 5.10.12 and no issue. 

Established Member
Kudos: 315
Solutions: 35

it's available as an apt upgrade now.  Just did mine. All seems to be working well (after 5 mins, anyway Man Happy  ) 

Dark theme is cool. 

Appreciate the work UBNT! 

Kudos: 224
Solutions: 2

4 Days Ago..."5.10.12 Stable Candidate has been released"

Note this was a "Candidate"!

Then 2 day after that..."5.10.12 Stable has been released"  (No longer a Candidate)

So only TWO DAYS from Stable Candidate to Stable.  WOW...No wonder there are alredy 4 pages of posts! 

You would think you would want to give it at least a week or more so you can get remarks in from the betas one last time.

Scarry stuff IMHO.

UniFi Protect - Need to be able to TURN OFF IR LED's, but not the processing needed to use IR.

"IR LED FEATURE REQUEST" POSTED....

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Protect-Feature-Requests/TURN-OFF-IR-LEDS-for-use-Behind-Windows/idi-p/2636108

Please be so kind and KUDO the feature request.

@DBNet wrote:

Note this was a "Candidate"!

Then 2 day after that..."5.10.12 Stable has been released"  (No longer a Candidate)

So only TWO DAYS from Stable Candidate to Stable.  WOW...No wonder there are alredy 4 pages of posts! 

You would think you would want to give it at least a week or more so you can get remarks in from the betas one last time.

Scarry stuff IMHO.

And this is why I always wait at least 2 weeks before I implement anything in my home/work environment.

Most of the time some bug/problem will still be found.

Hello,

I just upgrade to 5.10.12 on RPI and the upgrade seems to go ok but after the reboot it did not start the portal anymore and egt the following error.

upgrade unifi 5.10.12.PNG

I am running the controller on linux. 

3x UAP AC LR

1x USG3P

All on the latest stable firmware

After upgrading from 5.9 to 5.10.11 and then reverting back to 5.9 und again upgrading to 12 and reverting back to 5.9, I can tell that there are unsolved problems in 5.10:

My setup ist very stable. There are only about 20 wifi devices online. Normally I get 0 WPA or DHCP timeouts. These started to appear after upgrading to 5.10.11. I wouldn't have cared to much, but the iphones on latest iOS, loose connection while beeing stationary or moving. While using them I can see the wifi signal to be dropped, changing to LTE. After opening the settings app the wifi is reconnected. I see that on three different iphones and one ipad. The signal strength is perfect.

After reverting back to 5.9 which is not easily possible, because all the devives can not be adopted by the 5.9 controller after they were adopted by a 5.10 controller (factory reset necessary), these errors disappear. No firmware change on the devices. the iOS devices work perfectly stable.

I gave the 5.10.12 a try, thinking the errors where corrected. But after upgrading the same errors appeared in the dashbard and physically on the iOS devices.

Again painfully stepped back to 5.9 and everything is fine again.

I am using advanced features on 5.9. On 5.10. I tried disabling, but nothing changed. Optimize network does not make a difference, too.

Can you please add to the release notes the reverting back is not easily possible. Why does this happen anyway?

Do not upgrade if you want stable wifi on iOS.

S. Schmid 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 6

@heuvep wrote:

Hello,

I just upgrade to 5.10.12 on RPI and the upgrade seems to go ok but after the reboot it did not start the portal anymore and egt the following error.

upgrade unifi 5.10.12.PNG

If you read either this thread or the stable candidate thread you will see these errors are expected behaviour as long as it has started unifi and it is accessible after a few minutes you should be fine 

Kudos: 1

Now that the new version has appeared in the repos to install on a Raspberry Pi running Raspbian, can I just install in the normal way with apt upgrade or do I still need to update Java manually? Java does not appear as an upgradable package with apt (se below), and the version currently is 1.8.0_65, which is too old according to previous posts.

I thought normally using apt should take care of all dependencies, but will it work in this case?

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt update
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ apt list --upgradable
Listing... Done
nodejs/stable 8.11.1~dfsg-2~bpo9+1 armhf [upgradable from: 4.8.2~dfsg-1]
nodered/stable 0.19.4 armhf [upgradable from: 0.18.7-1]
unifi/stable 5.10.12-11629-1 all [upgradable from: 5.9.29-11384-1]
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ java -version
java version "1.8.0_65"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_65-b17)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.65-b01, mixed mode)
pi@raspberrypi:~ $

Kudos: 3006
Solutions: 810

Hello @hmj,

You need to update your JAVA version.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Kudos: 1

[ Edited ]

This is what I had to do to get it working.

Update Java to 1.8 and then create /etc/default/unifi etc

As per this posting :

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/UniFi-Network-Controller-5-10-12-Stable-has-been-releas...

Hello @heuvep,

What JAVA version are you running?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M

Hello,

Java was already at the last level. I am restoring right now. Never have problems with default update. This update is buggy.

I will give it a try after the restore.

What do you mean with create /etc/dafault/unifi? What must i check there?

Grt

Pierre

Hello @heuvep,

Could you PM me the controller logs?

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG
Emerging Member
Kudos: 19

[ Edited ]

@buzz2912 wrote:

I am running the controller on linux. 

3x UAP AC LR

1x USG3P

All on the latest stable firmware

After upgrading from 5.9 to 5.10.11 and then reverting back to 5.9 und again upgrading to 12 and reverting back to 5.9, I can tell that there are unsolved problems in 5.10:

My setup ist very stable. There are only about 20 wifi devices online. Normally I get 0 WPA or DHCP timeouts. These started to appear after upgrading to 5.10.11. I wouldn't have cared to much, but the iphones on latest iOS, loose connection while beeing stationary or moving. While using them I can see the wifi signal to be dropped, changing to LTE. After opening the settings app the wifi is reconnected. I see that on three different iphones and one ipad. The signal strength is perfect.

After reverting back to 5.9 which is not easily possible, because all the devives can not be adopted by the 5.9 controller after they were adopted by a 5.10 controller (factory reset necessary), these errors disappear. No firmware change on the devices. the iOS devices work perfectly stable.

I gave the 5.10.12 a try, thinking the errors where corrected. But after upgrading the same errors appeared in the dashbard and physically on the iOS devices.

Again painfully stepped back to 5.9 and everything is fine again.

I am using advanced features on 5.9. On 5.10. I tried disabling, but nothing changed. Optimize network does not make a difference, too.

Can you please add to the release notes the reverting back is not easily possible. Why does this happen anyway?

Do not upgrade if you want stable wifi on iOS.

S. Schmid 

I'm running 5.10.12 in a docker container for the time being and I'm noticing this also on my Android devices. Wi-Fi seems to just disconnect out the blue and then reconnect. And I notice this in areas that have a strong signal and never had dropouts before.

I am restoring the controller now and will give it a other try. After that when it still does not work i will do that.

grt,

Pierre

Hi

After upgrading my Pi2 running Stretch lite with the following command 

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y upgrade

The controller is not reachable with https://ip:8443 ?

However the Pi is responding with CLI.

Then I did a clean install using this guide

https://www.technologist.site/2016/06/02/how-to-install-ubiquiti-unifi-controller-5-on-the-raspberry...

But I still hit the same wall, when trying to access controller in a webbrowser.

Who can help a lost beginner? Confused5 

Hello @plexdk,

What JAVA version are you running?

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG