Kudos: 2

Re: UniFi Network Controller 5.10.12 Stable has been released

[ Edited ]

This release is broken on macOS 10.11.6 (fully patched).  It runs, but if you try to access the controller via the cloud, the controller will crash as follows.

Dyld Error Message:
Symbol not found: _timingsafe_bcmp
Referenced from: /Applications/UniFi.app/Contents/Java/native/Mac/x86_64/libubnt_webrtc_jni.dylib (which was built for Mac OS X 10.13)
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

I have quite a bit of experience with macOS, and most likely this is a combination of:

1. Building with a later version of macOS (looks like 10.13).

2. Apple possibly not marking the function as weakly linked and only available in newer versions of macOS (aka not my 10.11)

3. Not testing the cloud access on a 10.11 machine running the controller.

Kudos: 94
Solutions: 5

Upgraded from 5.9.29 on CK.  This caused all of my APs to be "automatically readopted".  This would be fine except any AP on a dfs channel changed to a dfs waiting state bumping all clients off. 

Not very client friendly and no warning in the release notes!

Kudos: 26
Solutions: 2

@LostVector wrote:

This release is broken on macOS 10.11.6 (fully patched).  It runs, but if you try to access the controller via the cloud, the controller will crash as follows.

Dyld Error Message:
Symbol not found: _timingsafe_bcmp
Referenced from: /Applications/UniFi.app/Contents/Java/native/Mac/x86_64/libubnt_webrtc_jni.dylib (which was built for Mac OS X 10.13)
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

I have quite a bit of experience with macOS, and most likely this is a combination of:

1. Building with a later version of macOS (looks like 10.13).

2. Apple possibly not marking the function as weakly linked and only available in newer versions of macOS (aka not my 10.11)

3. Not testing the cloud access on a 10.11 machine running the controller.

macOS 10.14.3 no issues (most current macOS release) FWIW

AP AC LITE
UAP nanoHD (x2)
Edgerouter 4
Kudos: 4

Anybody else notice that the listed times on the graphs for the Access Point Retries, Wifi Clients, etc. are off?  I'm in Los Angeles and the listed times are about 8 hours ahead.  It's 10:49PM here right now and the most recent dot on the graph is for 5AM.

Kudos: 205
Solutions: 72

@genexpieguy wrote:

Anybody else notice that the listed times on the graphs for the Access Point Retries, Wifi Clients, etc. are off?  I'm in Los Angeles and the listed times are about 8 hours ahead.  It's 10:49PM here right now and the most recent dot on the graph is for 5AM.

Check that your stats are set for your site's time and not UTC 

local stats.JPG
Kudos: 4

Yes, that was it. Never noticed that. Thank you.
Kudos: 1

All seems well now about twelve hours after the update.

@buzz2912 and @Hypnosis4U2NV I have not noticed any unusual disconnects on devices (iOS, Android, Windows, IoT), but I usually do not monitor these things very much. As long as everything seem to work I am happy with it, and it works now as it did before. In other words, there may be a possibility that you would notice a difference if you had my network, even though I do not.

@imaohw  All my channels seem to work, including 5G DFS channels.

I did notice temporary disconnects during the update. Maybe a minute, after which everything went back to normal.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 6
Solutions: 1

I currently have unifi controller installed on a raspberry pi however I want to repurpose the pi for something else so I need somewhere to put the unifi controller.

i have a MacBook Pro and would like to install it on there but I only want the controller running when I want to manage the network so I need to be able to start it manually and not have it running all of the time.

what do I need to do to change this on the Mac once I install it?

Kudos: 3006
Solutions: 810

Hello @mds1256,

1) Set a static IP on your MacBook.

2) Open port 8080/tcp in your firewall.

3) Install the UniFi Network Controller on your MacBook

4) Downloaded a backup of the old controller

5) Import the backup on the MacBook

6) Enable controller hostname/IP override to the IP of the MacBook ( NEW Controller device )

7) Shutdown the old controller

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Emerging Member
Kudos: 11

After some problems caused by me not reading the small prints of the upgrade announcement I have now installed 5.10.12 on Ubuntu 16.04 serving a small home network with one USG-3P, one USW-8 POE 60W and one UAP-AC-Pro.  Following the recommendations they were upgraded to latest firmware version ahead of the upgrade, backup was taken, browser cache cleaned up, and Linux source repository list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/100-ubnt-unifi.list and gpg keys were updated as described in a link in the upgrade announcement.  After this CLI command "apt update && apt upgrade" went without a hitch and the new controller came up without any problems.  All seems to work as expected and I am a big fan of the new "dark mode" theme which is much easier on my eyes than 4.9.12.

I wonder if anyone knows if there is a new revised manual/guide somewhere so I can explore in more detail some of the new features.

I have had my Ubiquiti setup now for a little less than a year and I have followed the recommended upgrades and I must say that I am generally happy about the hardware, software, upgrade policy and support.  I found the chat support really patient and professional when I had done trivial stupid mistakes myself.  So all in all a happy home customer so far. 

Emerging Member

@AmazedMender16 wrote:

Hello @mds1256,

1) Set a static IP on your MacBook.

2) Open port 8080/tcp in your firewall.

3) Install the UniFi Network Controller on your MacBook

4) Downloaded a backup of the old controller

5) Import the backup on the MacBook

6) Enable controller hostname/IP override to the IP of the MacBook ( NEW Controller device )

7) Shutdown the old controller

Regards,

Glenn R.

Thanks, yeah got that but does the controller auto start on the Mac? As I don’t want that I want to start it manually only when I need to manage the network.

Hello @mds1256,

Believe you have to manually start it on MacOS, not sure though since I don't have a system with MacOS.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
Emerging Member

@AmazedMender16 wrote:

Hello @mds1256,

Believe you have to manually start it on MacOS, not sure though since I don't have a system with MacOS.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Ah that is perfect if that is the case. I will give it a go.

what does the host name / IP override do, does this change the controller setting on the devices to point to new controller?

Hello @mds1256,

It will point all the devices to the address/hostname you use.

Wait for all the devices to popup in the new controller before turning of the old one.

I added an screenshot as example.

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG
Screenshot_3.png
Emerging Member

@AmazedMender16 wrote:

Hello @mds1256,

It will point all the devices to the address/hostname you use.

Wait for all the devices to popup in the new controller before turning of the old one.

I added an screenshot as example.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Ok thanks so I enable this on the current controller after installing the new controller so it will push the devices to the new controller, then when they all move over to the new one then shutdown the old and decommission?

Hello @mds1256,

You can enable it on both, on the OLD controller let it point to the NEW controller and on the NEW controller let it point to the NEW controller.

After enabling it and saving the settings give it 2/3 minutes and see if all the devices are connected on the new controller.

Turn off the old controller once all the devices are connected on the new controller.

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG

[ Edited ]

- Regarding the following error : 

OnOutOfMemoryError, -XX:+CrashOnOutOfMemoryError, -XX:ErrorFile=/usr/lib/unifi/logs/hs_err_pid%p.log, -jar, /usr/lib/unifi/lib/ace.jar

- About updating the java version on raspbian / raspberry PI3  for the unifi 5.10.12 version.

- To avoid installing ubuntu package  from ppa.launchpad.net sources

1) Purge the old openjdk packages

# aptitude purge openjdk*

2) Install the default-jre package

# aptitude install default-jre

3) Check the provided java's version

# java -version
openjdk version "1.8.0_181"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_181-8u181-b13-2~deb9u1-b13)
OpenJDK Client VM (build 25.181-b13, mixed mode)

with only the following sources 

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/ stretch main contrib non-free rpi

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d# cat 100-ubnt.list
deb http://www.ubnt.com/downloads/unifi/debian stable ubiquiti

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d# cat raspi.list
deb http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ stretch main ui

The latest unifi software seems to run fine on my Pi3 with this package.

Best regards,

--

SK

Hello @skubiquit,

Right, it doesn't run on the OLD JAVA version on the PI.

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG

[ Edited ]

Yep.

The fact in my post is that I do not have to use the followings :

sudo apt-key adv --recv-key --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com EEA14886
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu trusty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu trusty main

Default packages did the trick for me Smiley Very Happy

(I prefere to stay with official sources)

Kudos: 3

pi@raspberrypi:~ sudo COMMAND >> FILENAME

sudo says 'run the next command as root' - but the entire command is running as user pi.
So the file redirect to FILENAME is still run as user 'pi'
The permission denied error is because the user 'pi' does not have permissions to write to /etc/default

$ sudo su
# echo "JAVA_HOME="$( readlink -f "$( which java )" | sed "s:bin/.*$::" )"" >> /etc/default/unifi