Kudos: 3006
Solutions: 810

Re: UniFi Network Controller 5.10.12 Stable has been released

Hello @ch166,

Who told you to sudo su?

What is the output of the following commands?

dpkg -l | grep oracle
dpkg -l | grep openjdk

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Kudos: 94
Solutions: 5

@hmj - I guess I should he been clearer.  DFS channels are working fine once the DFS waiting period was over.

It was more of a warning to anyone that does the upgrade that all clients connected to APs on DFS channels are going to get bumped off during the DFS waiting period.  And that it impacts all APs at the same time.

Upgraded RPi3 controller from 5.10.5 beta with mostly no issues. My USG disappeared and had to be rebooted to reconnect. SSHing to it and checking info said that it thought it was still connected fine, but the controller didn't agree. Rebooting the USG made it connect immediately though.

I've been trying to figure out why my USG is showing ~100 GB of data use even on days when I wasn't even in town. None of my clients reflect the usage, so the only thing I can suspect is the speed test. I tried to change it to run only every 2 hours but I'm apparently not allowed to set 120 minutes as the interval. Is there a reason why the interval is arbitrarily limited between a range of 10 and 49 minutes? I'd be happy with the speed test just running daily, but the default interval (what was it, 15 minutes? 30?) is WAY too often. Perhaps I shouldn't be treating it as a health indicator but as a debugging tool instead.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 6
Solutions: 1

@AmazedMender16 wrote:

Hello @mds1256,

You can enable it on both, on the OLD controller let it point to the NEW controller and on the NEW controller let it point to the NEW controller.

After enabling it and saving the settings give it 2/3 minutes and see if all the devices are connected on the new controller.

Turn off the old controller once all the devices are connected on the new controller.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Hi

just to follow up, yeah you are correct the unifi controller must be started manually on a Mac which is perfect for me. Also your instructions to move device inform address to the new controller worked great. Thanks for the info.

Hello @mds1256,

Awesome, thank you for reporting back!

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
Kudos: 1

@ch166 wrote:
pi@raspberrypi:~ sudo COMMAND >> FILENAME

sudo says 'run the next command as root' - but the entire command is running as user pi.
So the file redirect to FILENAME is still run as user 'pi'
The permission denied error is because the user 'pi' does not have permissions to write to /etc/default

$ sudo su
# echo "JAVA_HOME="$( readlink -f "$( which java )" | sed "s:bin/.*$::" )"" >> /etc/default/unifi

The above will work just fine - nice explanation as well.

I actually did it a different way (probably more complicated?)

$ sudo bash ***gets you into a bash shell with root permissions
# touch /etc/default/unifi ***because I did not have that file, touch creates an empty file
# vi /etc/default/unifi *** edited the file and added the line '''JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle'''

You will need to add the correct version.

Just showing an alternative way around

Has anyone seen this error on 5.10.12? Im running with an external MongoDB instance. 

[06:37:34,341] <launcher> WARN db - DbServer cannot start due to memory error, restarting with repair

Downgraded to 5.9.29 and I'm back up annd running. 

I just updated my Raspberry Pi install from 5.9.x to 5.10.12-11629-1. And I can't reach the webpage anymore.

The daemon is running, but I get errors like

[16:00:09,291] <UniFi> ERROR system - [exec] error, rc=141, cmdline=[/usr/lib/jvm/jdk-8-oracle-arm32-vfp-hflt/jre/bin/java, -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8, -Djava.awt.headless=true, -Dapple.awt.UIElement=true, -Xmx1024M, -XX:+ExitOnOutOfMemoryError, -XX:+CrashOnOutOfMemoryError, -XX:ErrorFile=/usr/lib/unifi/logs/hs_err_pid%p.log, -jar, /usr/lib/unifi/lib/ace.jar, start]

Looks like I'm running out of memory. Kinda curious what changed. This upgrade came with the latest round of updates to the Pi.

Anyone have any quick fixes? I'm about to try to manually load the Oracle JRE just to see if this'll help.

Just saw the other posts on this regarding the Pi. I just got the popup that a new version was out, so I upgraded in good faith. This is, after all, a commercial product that has been stable up to the point.

I didn't even think to come to these forums to look up the upgrade issues first. It was a 5.9 to 5.10...that's normally a minor thing in software release numbers.

Wow. Now to go through the threads to see if I can find a solution further down...thanks Ubiqiti.

Kudos: 2

[ Edited ]

Go thru this and update java and follow instruction s, this may help.

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/Step-By-Step-Tutorial-Guide-Raspberry-Pi-with-...

Yup, ran through it. And posted my results in a reply further up.

God, this forum engine is rather goofy.

Here's my results:
https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/UniFi-Network-Controller-5-10-12-Stable-Candidate-has-b...

Sorry, thought it was different set of instructions. Yeah, I'll have to go through that and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks.

[ Edited ]

Okay, I got a new error on the web page.

We do not support upgrading from 5.9.29.

Thanks @meazz1 -- it's progress of a sort. Wish I'd seen this earlier.

Hell, I wish that Ubiquiti had actually tested this before releasing it and having the software tell me that a new version was out.

But, thank you again.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 4

Where is the Auto-Optimize Network feature located?
Emerging Member
Kudos: 7
Solutions: 2

Settings -> Site -> Auto Optimize Network
Emerging Member
Kudos: 4

Tx !

Why UniFI uses font, that doesn't have a cyrillic glyphs? It's look so ugly, please, change the font.

Kudos: 12
Solutions: 1

I did the upgrade today and on startup this error is showing however everything seems to be ok not sure if anyone else is getting this error.

UniFi Controller Error On Startup.jpg

Hello @bsampsel,

The PI comes with an old JAVA version, the PI is not supported by Uniquiti.... they test it on their own products and it works fine there Man Happy

Anyway did you get it to run on your PI?

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG

Hello @pcmd,

Those are cosmetic issues and don’t affect the controller startup.

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG