Scheduled maintenance: Community available only in read-only mode until 6:00 AM (PT)
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 17001
Solutions: 609
Contributions: 20

UniFi Network Controller 5.6.42 Stable has been released

[ Edited ]

Please see our release post HERE.

*This release follows our usual release structure which means it will initially be available via this blog post only. It will be posted to the download site and official repos in the near future. If you aren't familiar with our release structure, please take a moment to read our post HERE. Thanks!

Re: UniFi Network Controller 5.6.42 Stable has been released

Hey.

I don't get the update on my Raspberry Pi installation.

I use the repo: 'deb http://www.ui.com/downloads/unifi/debian unifi-5.6 ubiquiti'

My console output:

pi@UniFiPi:~ $ sudo apt update
Get:1 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian stretch InRelease [25.4 kB]
Hit:2 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian stretch InRelease
Get:3 http://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/debian unifi-5.6 InRelease [3009 B]
Get:4 http://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/debian unifi-5.6/ubiquiti armhf Packages [714 B]
Fetched 29.1 kB in 1s (21.3 kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
All packages are up to date.

Thanks,

Tuffi

Kudos: 4870
Solutions: 1289

Hello @Tuffi,

Takes atleast 1 week before it gets pushed to the repo....

You could use my Easy Update Script to upgrade.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Kudos: 21
Solutions: 4

[ Edited ]

@UBNT-MikeD 

I upgraded 2 rural sites from 5.6.40 to 5.6.42.  The sites contained a mix of legacy and uap-ac-ms/pro and about 50 remote pico's (picos mainly on f/w  3.8.8 and 3.9.2).All looked fine after the upgrade on the dashboard. I did not test the picos. and next day I soon realised guests were not connecting to the Picos. I now have to sort out what to do. Downgade back to 5.6.40 is problematic as this is not supported without a complete reinstall.  else I am tempted to convert the Picos,most of which are fairly recent,  back to Airos, which is not what I want.

I'm rather teed-off at my mistake, stupidly believing the 5.6.40 branch was to be the LTE. 

Please add a warning in the release notes in 5.6.42 for members not to upgrade from 40 if they use Picos. Thanks

Kudos: 98
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

The warning should probably dont upgrade to 5.6.42 in most cases.   Being forced into the 4.x branch of firmware with this upgrade is a big problem for the LTS branch.    There's not point to it.   If you're going to be forced into 4.x might as well just upgrade to a new Controller version and toss out any hardware that is no longer supported in my opinion. 

But apparently, UBNT has decided they don't want or need customers that require a LTS branch or stable branch at all for that matter.   Everyone's BETA testers now whether you want to be or not.  Mad2

Now V5.6.42 is available over the repos.

I'm also using a PicoStation M2 in my Network, and now I'm not realy sure if I should update or not :-/

Established Member
Kudos: 712
Solutions: 50

@UBNT-MikeD=> the controller is updated, and for security reasons (hence the LTS), but there is a firmware issue for the UAP-AC-v2 configuration in the firmware listing I suppose.

the  firmware issue is that the UAP-AC-v2 :

• they are in 3.8.17.6789 (from 5.6.40)
  • the controller (5.6.42) is proposing to downgrade them to 3.8.16

Emerging Member
Kudos: 28

I’m confused,  who would use 5.6.42 stable when there is a 5.10.23 stable version;  what am I missing?

Kudos: 4870
Solutions: 1289

Hello @julianwigman,

5.6.42 is for the EOL devices.. ( UAP AC ( v2 ) and UAP AC OUTDOOR )

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Emerging Member

@AmazedMender16 wrote:

Hello @julianwigman,

5.6.42 is for the EOL devices.. ( UAP AC ( v2 ) and UAP AC OUTDOOR )

Regards,

Glenn R.

Thanks Glenn for clarifying.

Established Member

@julianwigman=> and befoer you ask why keeping those type of hardware ... which are "outdated" as per "first world country problem" : in plenty of places, this harware is still running perfectly, and the features provided later are not a must.

It's perfect for production/enterprise deployment sites under 5 years for example, which required to continue to run as the depreciation of the hardware is still not considered as complete

I personally use it for multiple sites which are still running them for charity : hundreds of people rely on them, and they is clearly no budget to replace them : the Long Term Suppot version 5.6.x is actually only following the security improvements (controller and firmware), and do not add any new feature.

Emerging Member

@di3 wrote:

@julianwigman=> and befoer you ask why keeping those type of hardware ... which are "outdated" as per "first world country problem" : in plenty of places, this harware is still running perfectly, and the features provided later are not a must.

It's perfect for production/enterprise deployment sites under 5 years for example, which required to continue to run as the depreciation of the hardware is still not considered as complete

I personally use it for multiple sites which are still running them for charity : hundreds of people rely on them, and they is clearly no budget to replace them : the Long Term Suppot version 5.6.x is actually only following the security improvements (controller and firmware), and do not add any new feature.

@di3 No I’m glad Ubiquiti continue to support older hardware as well and not just the recent stuff.  My question had no agenda other than understanding the differences. 😀

Established Member

@julianwigman=> no issue here ;-)

Actually, UBNT support the hardware only for security, but this is already a big big steps for a lot of sites which cannot afford hardware change now, but I'm sure they keep this "in mind" when it come to replacing the hardware later : stay with UBNT instead of changing for another vendor asking for so much all the time in support fees (welcome to the "subscription based" world")

Kudos: 21
Solutions: 4

@di3

So much for 5 year amortisation. Similarly, I  provide a free service for

nearby thai villagers with 50 PicoHP and some uap-ms. I was using

5.6.40 LTS. Our PicoHP are all less than 5 and some only 2+ years old.

All pico were upgraded to 3.8.8 or 3.9.2 so no obvious technical reason

to obsolete. They died when I mistakenly upgraded from ver 5.6.42,

a version that was supposed to be LTS.   

I do not plan to struggle on pushing water uphill with the Picos.

Naturally .I feel sorry for the users, not great publicity for Ubiquiti.

Established Member

@bobdeverell=> sorry to hear it, but you can probably revert the firmware, and from the 50 equipments, none of them failed from a firmware issues or the controller version.

Hopefully, you'll get a solution.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 10
Solutions: 3

[ Edited ]

I also upgraded and one of my sites having 3 Picos is acting up.

On the unifi controller web i can see the APs connected etc, but I can not see any clients listed.

SSHing into the APs and running mca-dump I can see that there are connected clients.

On the mobile version again I see no clients connected, but the APs are orange (Connected (Update Required))

Screenshot_2019-05-14 UniFi.pngFile 14-05-2019, 20 43 23.jpg

Also just noticed that when seeing the config, radios look to be disabled

Screenshot_2019-05-14 UniFi2.png

Ubiquiti Employee

@bobdeverell wrote:All pico were upgraded to 3.8.8 or 3.9.2 so no obvious technical reason to obsolete. 

They have less than half the availble flash RAM and general system resources compared to the base model UAP. These are actual real technical limitations; the firmware is literally too big for PicoM2. The last reliable/supported firmware is 3.3.22 for a reason. While you may have been able to upgrade some devices to some newer firmware it's not reliable, doesn't work for many, etc.

We tried to implement the management changes for PicoM2. Unfortunately it's just not possible. I did add a note to the blog post.  

Cheers,

Mike

Highlighted
Ubiquiti Employee

We've released security advisories 003 and 004 which detail the vulnerabilities fixed in 5.6.42. I'll be updating the relevant blog posts for recent releases.

Cheers,

Mike

[ Edited ]

Hey UBNT-MikeD.

Sorry. I think I don't get the situation around the PicoM2 completely.

Is it a good idea / save / necessary to upgrade from UniFi Network Controller 5.6.40 to 5.6.42, if i use the PicoM2?

Because bobdeverell and vaiost reported issues on there sides, I don't know if it is even helpful to do this step.

Thanks and best regards,

Tuffi

Kudos: 4
Solutions: 2

I am getting numerous reports of Guest unable to connect to the splash page after upgrading the AP's to 5.6.42. After downgrading back to 4.0.21, the user were able to connect to the splash page.  This happened over different controller versions too. Please see details below. 

Also, is there a way to push all of the AP's back to 4.0.21 without having to downgrade them all one at a time ?

Controller 1

AWS

Ubunutu 16.04 LTS

Controller version 5.6.40LTS

AP's . UAP-AC-Pro, Pro HD, Lites, UAP-AC-Mesh-Pro  

Controller 2. 

AWS

Ubuntu 16.04LTS

Controller version 5.10.21

APs - AP's . UAP-AC-Pro, Pro HD, Lites, UAP-AC-Mesh-Pro