Kudos: 1631
Solutions: 493

Re: UniFi SDN Controller 5.9.29 Stable has been released

Hello @SVB-IT,

Could you share the output of the info command?

info

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2 • UCK
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 14109
Solutions: 594
Contributions: 20

@flamber wrote: The controller log view does have a CSS rule, which sets inform text to #fff (white):
.appView--dark,.appView--dark .appViewSidePanel
The rule is located on line 24 in /manage/css/app.v5.9.29.0.css

Thanks! 

Cheers,

Mike

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 14109
Solutions: 594
Contributions: 20

[ Edited ]

@proask wrote: Can you explain to me why you do not recommend Zero-Handoff? This option is still available in 5.9.29 while Fast Roaming is still described as Beta.

Thanks for confirming!

Just clarifying, that/this is a personal comment of mine. While there is a place for single channel architecture, I consider it more of a last ditch effort (with few exceptions). If you have a few APs spread out well enough, and only a few client devices, then it likely is okay. By the sounds of things, it was working just fine in your case, so feel free to continue to use it (once you can provision it).

At the end of the day this is a bug that still needs to be further investigated. I will do some testing later this weekend, and open a ticket for the issue (assuming I can replicate it). There is a possibilty that this is a local issue (database related), but I'm leaning towards this being an actual bug. I'll follow up either later this weekend or early next week.

Cheers,

Mike

Kudos: 6
Solutions: 2

[ Edited ]

UBNT_upgrade_header.jpg

• 3 STEP SOLUTION TO MOST OF YOUR UPGRADING PROBLEMS:

1. POWER CYCLE all of your devices before upgrading!

2. POWER CYCLE your CloudKey / UniFi controller
3. PROCEED with upgrade

Following these three simple steps in the suggested order will prevent 99% of "DISCONNECTED" devices or failures to adopt/inform.

I follow these steps each time there is a major firmware and/or controller upgrade, and I have never had the disconnected or inform issue. Power cycling devices clears cache. I believe that most issues following upgrades occur due to outdated caches.

Pro Tip:
It's best to SSH into each device and power cycle manually, one by one. The command I use is:

reboot

=======================

• UPGRADING LINUX CONTROLLER

Possible Upgrade Paths:

• <=5.9.26, <=5.8.30, <=5.7.28, <=5.6.40 and most earlier releases (going back to 3.1.0).

Ubuntu/Debian users, issue the following commands to your controller after you have rebooted it (paste the entire line):

apt-get update; apt-get upgrade; apt-get clean

Followed by (each line separately):

wget http://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/5.9.29/unifi_sysvinit_all.deb
dpkg -i unifi_sysvinit_all.deb
rm unifi_sysvinit_all.deb

This will upgrade your controller to 5.9.29 (and the rm command will delete the installation file afterwards).

My Equipment:
CK Gen1, USG 3P, USG 4P, US-8-150W, US-16-150W, US-24-500W, AP-AC-Lite, AP-AC-LR, AP-AC-PRO, ERLite-3, ERPoe-5, ES-5XP, ES-8XP
UVC-NVR, UVC-Micro, UVC-Dome, UVC-Pro
mFi Switch, mFi mPort, mFi mPower, Temperature Sensor, Current Sensor, Wall Mount Motion Sensor
Kudos: 6
Solutions: 2

[ Edited ]

• CREATING A CUSTOM DASHBOARD WITH USEFUL WIDGETS

It appears that not everyone has given the new customizable dashboard a chance. Here's how you can create your own dashboard with familar elements:

STEP 1:

- Click the Add button next to WiFi Metrics

WiFi_Metrics__WEB.jpg

STEP 2:

- Click "Add custom dashboard"

Add_dashboard.png

STEP 3:

- Name your dashboard (I just named mine "Overview"). Press CREATE to go to the next screen containing widgets.

Add_dashboard2.png

STEP 4:

- Add/remove widgets and Save your dashboard.

THE RESULT:

Custom_UniFi_Dashboard__Overview__WEB.jpg

My Equipment:
CK Gen1, USG 3P, USG 4P, US-8-150W, US-16-150W, US-24-500W, AP-AC-Lite, AP-AC-LR, AP-AC-PRO, ERLite-3, ERPoe-5, ES-5XP, ES-8XP
UVC-NVR, UVC-Micro, UVC-Dome, UVC-Pro
mFi Switch, mFi mPort, mFi mPower, Temperature Sensor, Current Sensor, Wall Mount Motion Sensor
Kudos: 1

Just on onservation, after upgrading 3 of my clients from 5.8.30 to 5.9.29 I noticed all 3 controller failed to reconnecto to the cloud access service. One of the three controllers is on a network I have 24/7 access so I logged in locally and it showed up like it's disabled.

I will wait to continue upgrading my controllers until I can get some more info on this, it would not be feasable for my to have to physically touch every controller I upgrade.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 5
Solutions: 1

@Olivier67

Another report of a Philips TV rebooting over there. Also a 55PFL6007K/12.

Kudos: 3

As other people have already asked and requested: 

Status for Site to Site VPN would be nice - this status seems nowhere to be found in 5.9.29 widgets or anywhere? 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 5

Hi @UBNT-MikeD,

if you were able to reproduce,  can you confirm this will be fixed? Just asking as a zho related (and confirmed) bug in Firmware is now open nearly a year (from 3.7.26 onwards)and @UBNT-jeff told me that most likely it will never be fixedMan Sad

Ne,

kuwi

Kudos: 3

[ Edited ]

@UBNT-MikeD wrote:

@igusinski wrote:

what about white text on white background in insights>controller logs? is this going to change soon?

The text is not white by default. Are you accessing the controller directly or over the cloud access tie-in? Which browser and what version of it are you using?

Cheers,

Mike

I get the same behaviour both via cloud access and directly and get the same result... and I am using chrome 69.0.3497.100 on a MAC / Mojave 

and if you can - please answer my question about Topology and making the view wider....

Thanks in advance!

Kudos: 2

@ctp9

Rebooting each device is perfect for a home situation, but for multiple sites with lots of devices impossible to achieve.

@AmazedMender16

At this point all devices behave normal, the once that used to disconnect are downgraded to the older FW.
The info command would now be showing a resolved inform command.

Only when those specific devices (at random in several sites) are upgraded to the latest FW, they would send a connect event message every few minutes.
Sometimes first a disconnect, and then a connect message, but most of the time just only connect messages (without disconnecting before).
I assume they do disconnect, but only so short that the heartbeat is not missed by the controller...

Kudos: 1631
Solutions: 493

Hello @SVB-IT,

Yeah sounds like they losing a few pings, make sure the connection to the controller is stable.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2 • UCK

@BNT-MikeD

Is there a chance that you can look into this weird behaviour? I refer to your helpdesk ticketnr 339645 (july/2018)
thanks and best regards
Stefan

@AmazedMender16

Yes the controller connection is stable, as it appears not on each site, AND not on every device in the site which has the problems.
Weirdest thing, if the older firmware is used, the problem simply disapears.
I think this proves it is related to the firmware, not to the local site or the controller...

In the beginning, by matter of testing, I even reset each device (that had the problem), but didn't change a thing...

[ Edited ]

I've found that apt-get is always a few versions behind and up until a few moments was an issue for me.  here's how I solved it and got my pi to match the CloudKey release.(do at your own risk, I did this on a pi that is purely for Unifi, I've not messed with putting other services on it nor do I want to)

SSH into the pi and do the following:

1) update the pi via apt-get as far as it will go - including the kernel, not sure if this was neccessary. 

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get autoclean

2) download the latest package (replace the version number in this URL with the version you want, this is just the version I snagged)

wget https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/5.9.29/unifi_sysvinit_all.deb

3) install the debian package with the following command:

dpkg -i ./unifi_sysvinit_all.deb

now all my controllers show the same unifi version :-)

Emerging Member
Kudos: 23

@ehoythandl check if these controllers are firewalled, if so make sure they are allowed to use tcp port 8883 outgoing, this is new to 5.9.xx for cloud access.

see also: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/218506997-UniFi-Ports-Used

@RIA-Wieckhorst wrote:

@ehoythandl check if these controllers are firewalled, if so make sure they are allowed to use tcp port 8883 outgoing, this is new to 5.9.xx for cloud access.

see also: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/218506997-UniFi-Ports-Used

These controllers are not firewalled for outbound access, two of these setups are cloud keys behind a USG Pro 4. In all three of these cases cloud access was totally fine and working until after upgrade, it was disabled on the controller and showing offline on the cloud account. I was able to turn it back on without issue, it just created another controller in my account and I deleted the 5.8.30 version that stilll showed offline.

@UBNT-MikeD, another CSS issue is that the rule for .ubntIcon contains a color attribute that is always white, causing the navigation icons on the top and side to be white on gray background.  If I comment out that attribute, the icons on the sides and top show up correctly. 

Also, the "currentColor" CSS variable is never defined, nor is the "--icon-color" for just .ubntIcon.

I don't know what side effects completely removing this attribute has, but at least the home page is useable... 

.ubntIcon {
  /*color: var(--icon-color,currentColor);*/
  flex: none;
  vertical-align: middle
}
Kudos: 24
Solutions: 4

@ctp9 Thanks for that walkthrough - such an improvement in the interface that I did not know I could do so thanks!