Re: UniFi SDN Controller 5.9.29 Stable has been released

where are you finding the list of widgets - I click on the + and I get Name/Description fields and then it says drag or drop r browse for files.  Where are the widgets located within the controller files?

Kudos: 1691
Solutions: 508

Hello @peggyyehl,

Just put a name in there and click create, then you can place the widgets.

The Drag & Drop is to import a dashboard, that you exported on another controller for example.

Regards,
Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2 • UCK
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 14178
Solutions: 594
Contributions: 20

@kuwi wrote:if you were able to reproduce,  can you confirm this will be fixed? Just asking as a zho related (and confirmed) bug in Firmware is now open nearly a year (from 3.7.26 onwards)and @UBNT-jeff told me that most likely it will never be fixedMan Sad

I'm not aware of any planned firmware changes. So what bugs exist now in firmware (with ZHO) will continue to exist. This would strictly be a controller provisioning issue, and there are 2 possible fixes I see, but I"m not commenting further than that. 

Cheers,

Mike

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 14178
Solutions: 594
Contributions: 20

Sorry, I didn't go back and mention everyone who brought this up. 

First thanks for the reports about the controller logs. This is already fixed, and will be bundled in 5.9.30. 

We are planning further changes to the UI, so the current colour scheme isn't complete. I know a number of you do not like the amount of white currently, and I just wanted to point out there are more changes coming. Priorities have been elsewhere but we will get that finalized in an upcoming release.

Cheers,

Mike

Kudos: 3
Solutions: 1

@UBNT-MikeD wrote:

[snip ..] This is already fixed, and will be bundled in 5.9.30. 

[snip .. ]more changes coming. Priorities have been elsewhere but we will get that finalized in an upcoming release.

It is very cool when you guys come back with a bit of roadmap like this Ubnt Banana  keep it comming

Emerging Member
Kudos: 61

@UBNT-MikeD wrote:

We are planning further changes to the UI, so the current colour scheme isn't complete. I know a number of you do not like the amount of white currently, and I just wanted to point out there are more changes coming. Priorities have been elsewhere but we will get that finalized in an upcoming release.

Please consider in the future not integrating half finished changes that can't be opt out of.

A *lot* of people who use your products do so in a professional environment. 

The user interface change negatively impacted peoples ability to do their job, and you rolled it out in the stable release even though you knew it was not finished.

@jonesmz wrote:

Please consider in the future not integrating half finished changes that can't be opt out of.

A *lot* of people who use your products do so in a professional environment. 

The user interface change negatively impacted peoples ability to do their job, and you rolled it out in the stable release even though you knew it was not finished.

I agree and do use the products in a professional capacity

I like the agile and fast paced ways of Ubnt over some of the old monolits

I don't like unfinished stuff (like I cant see site to site vpn status or statistics in the new interface) but I blame myself for rolling my dev environment too quickly and not exploring enough in my test environment. I think we have gotten very used to new versions (like 5.8 to 5.9) to be "all features and more" upgrades - that is back to the old monolits and a very expensive thing to make sure of in software development.

I made the choise to roll out 5.9 from my dev and test to production. I have snapshots and can revert quickly and I do follow you.

@jonesmz Why did you change? Rollback plans? Risk management?

Emerging Member
Kudos: 61

[ Edited ]

@Torbengo wrote:

I made the choise to roll out 5.9 from my dev and test to production. I have snapshots and can revert quickly and I do follow you.

Why did you change? Rollback plans? Risk management?

Actually, I'm not a professional customer. I use the Unifi product line in my home. Hopefully I didn't mislead you.

I upgraded my cloud key firmware without realizing that it would introduce a major controller update. (Though, I was wanting the 5.9 release for some feature or another. I don't recall the specifics right now).

My initial impression of the theme was "Crap. Something went wrong with the upgrade. *sigh* now I'll have to spend the next 2 hours figuring out how to fix it".

I was originally introduced to the Unifi products at an old job, where I was responsible for installing and managing them (among lots of other things. Wifi equipment was not a major part of my job). But I no longer work there for several years.

For me, the color scheme is annoying (like, really annoying), but it's mostly a "set it and forget it" kind of situation, so it's not the end of the world or anything close to it.

I was mostly making my comment for the benefit of people who are using the Unifi products in a professional setting, since I understand both sids of the fence on releasing and using professional software products.

My software (I am a c++ programmar) goes into automated software rollouts to customers all the time, and my organization *very rarely* introduces changes to behavior without some form of feature toggle that allows the customer to automatically go back to the old way of doing things. Little bug fixes don't get toggles, even big bug fixes if we think the risk is overwhelmingly worth it (and we really hammer these at the QA stage of course). But things like UI design, or new features, or newly introduced integration between existing features, those are all deployed defaulted-off, with an opt-in toggle, and only after many months is the default switched to opt-out.

I like that Ubiquiti introduces new features to their product lines, and I purchased their gear in large part due to the roadmap / promises that I read about on this forum.

What I don't like is eye bleach that I find out isn't even finished. That I don't like. It feels very much like Ubiquiti isn't putting enough manpower into the Unifi product line to polish things properly.

@jonesmz - All respect .. as a fellow software developer (though I am only C# mostly) and infrastructure is a side business I follow you and agree for the most part

[ Edited ]

I just updated from 5.8.30 to 5.9.29 and I like the new design.

@UBNT-MikeDHowever as someone with red green colour deficiency I now have a hard time dealing with the new green colour. For example it's difficult for me now to distinguish between the 1Gbps and 100Mbps Ports on a switch (see screenshot). This was much easier in the earlier versions.

Screen Shot.png

Kudos: 2

When i try to installe the lastest.. im getting this error...

Udklip.JPG

Established Member
Kudos: 395
Solutions: 73

@peer46 wrote:

I just updated from 5.8.30 to 5.9.29 and I like the new design.

@UBNT-MikeDHowever as someone with red green colour deficiency I now have a hard time dealing with the new green colour. For example it's difficult for me now to distinguish between the 1Gbps and 100Mbps Ports on a switch (see screenshot). This was much easier in the earlier versions.

Screen Shot.png

Got a colour blind friend (same as you) to check this & he says you're spot-on the money.

"It's ambiguous to say the least & its disappointing that clearly no thought is given to this issue in a male-dominated industry" was the full comment.

Pretty sure this could be QUICKLY fixed by offering a colour-blind option on preferences - I'm informed there are plenty of free stylesheets available for the different types of colour blindness.

Again someone at UBNT needs a boot up the arse for basic incompetence (same guy who set the inform text to white probably!) - even in the USA you have disability discrimination laws.....

After 1 week on 5.9.29 still getting frequent USG disconnections from Unifi controller. Only way to reestablish is to reset USG. I have another site with same setup & IDS disabled and has been running fine. 

USG is still partially running, but no DHCP or VPN access works, even though routing seems ok to access my Unifi SDN via ubnt.com

All of above combined with big CPU spikes with only a few Mpbs of traffic running through IDS, I would guess a critical stability bug in USG IPS/IDS code.

Kudos: 1

While this may be something more firmware of the USG related, for getting some clarification yourself possibly ssh to the USG and check the /var/log/messages file to see for any errors, which may indicate the problem.

Kudos: 7

[ Edited ]

@ Vestas : "Male dominated industri ..." for each female with colorblindness there are 25 males with colorblindness. So a male dominated industri should have a profound interest in solving this issue :-)

Kudos: 4

[ Edited ]

New UI is awful. I don't mean it is "kinda bad" - I mean it's downright terrible and very, very hard to see/scan/use.

Maybe it's all thanks to Jony Ives and his (or, as I like to call him, Jony "minimalist idiotic bane of all that used to be good about UIs" Ives), but give me a good, colorful, easily visible, easily scanable, actually usable UI rather than an "all grey and white and hard to see / use but really popular with hipsters" UI any day...

Really, just revert the UI to the prior one and then keep working on the great stuff you are doing. Don't wedge a horrible UI on top of good products.

Please? Pretty please?

Thanks @Vestas it's nice to get confirmation. But I think you are being a bit harsh with Ubnt. It's a common design oversight.

The whole point of this thread is so that customers can voice their concerns and problems and hopefully Ubnt will notice and act upon this advice.

Hi,

I plan to update my unifi system to the latest firmware : 5.9.29 from 3.2.7.

my question is during I update the controller, does the unifi still work (wifi will be still ok ? ). It's a classic configuration (no radius, etc...)

Thanks for your help,

YV

Kudos: 1

Seemed to have a similar problem like adamx77 had mentioned before.

I only have one UAP-AC-LR associated with my controller. This is my lab setup.

I tried to upgrade the controller from 5.8.24 to 5.9.29.

The UAP-AC-LR (board rev 17) was on 3.9.24 (wich is the highest possible 5.8.24 let me upgrade it to)

After the upgrade my AP was just stuck in "disconnected" state on the new controller. But "Last seen" value regularly updated to 3sec ago...

So I reverted back to 5.8, doublechecked everything, AP came on in connected state again.

Then I upgraded again to 5.9.30. Same result as befode. Last seen is updating regularly, AP is stuck in disconnected state.

The controller logs lots of those "Inform Invalid for Device" lines like adamx77 wrote.

I solved it by logging in to the UAP via ssh, issued

~$ syswrapper.sh upgrade https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/U7PG2/3.9.54.9373/BZ.qca956x.v3.9.54.9373.180914.0009.bin

let it upgrade. Still no luck. Same Errors appearing in the controller. So I logged back in to the UAP and issued

~$ syswrapper.sh factory-default

This reseted the the UAP and I could finaly Adopt it again via the new controller.

This is defenitly pretty ugly. I don't wanna do this on my larger setups, where I deployed >30 UAPs, USG etc.!!!

Ubiquiti has definitly to do it's homework before.

Until this is fixed 5.9.29 has to be seen as a highly unstable and disrupting release!

Established Member
Kudos: 395
Solutions: 73

@peer46 wrote:

Thanks @Vestas it's nice to get confirmation. But I think you are being a bit harsh with Ubnt. It's a common design oversight.

The whole point of this thread is so that customers can voice their concerns and problems and hopefully Ubnt will notice and act upon this advice.

I'm afraid I strongly disagree.

This is basic web design and given the target market (predominantly male) its beyond stupid to exclude/alienate 8-10% of that market because of ignorance/incompetence. Clearly some thought HAD been given to the matter pre-5.9.x......