UniFi configuration help

We recently moved to a new space and are having trouble with the configuration of the network since the move.  We have a 10,000 sq ft office (long and narrow) with 5 UniFi AP-AC-Pro access points (all running 3.7.58.6385).  Possibly overkill, and possibly part of the issue, but we're a small company and everything in the office is wireless at this point.

The issue that we're having is a number of the devices are dropping and reconnecting to the wireless repeatedly throughout the day - especially during conf calls and screen shares.  Any ideas on settings that I can play with to make things more stable?  My one thought is to try to turn off any feature that is allowing devices to jump between access points in some kind of load balancing logic.  I've already set the channels differently so that they don't overlap their nearest neighbor (11/44, 1/149, 6/36, 11/161, 1/48 as 2.4G/5G channels from one of the office to the other).  I've also lowered the power on all the 2.4G to 6dBm and the 5G to 14 dBm.  Is there anything else that I should try?  Is there any way to see history of devices that get moved?  Or, could it be the APs themselves are losing their link and dropping everyone - can I see that anywhere?

I know enough to be dangerous, and I'm not looking to put together a fancy or complicated set up, but I do need to get a stable network running.  If anyone has any other ideas, I'd be interested in things that I can try.

Thanks!

Matt

Kudos: 32
Solutions: 1

Re: UniFi configuration help

What does the event log say? Are clients hopping between ap or 2/5 ghz channels? What about fast roaming setting? 

Fast Roaming is disabled on both our 2.4G and 5G networks.
The event log does show a number of devices (event Chromecasts that are connected to TVs) that are jumping APs. For example:
Chromecast-Ultra roams from Reception to Open Area from channel 149 to channel 48 on ssid "XXXXX5G" 4:04 pm 11/21/2018
Chromecast-Ultra roams from Kitchen to Reception from channel 36 to channel 149 on ssid "XXXXX5G" 4:01 pm 11/21/2018
Chromecast-Ultra roams from Reception to Kitchen from channel 149 to channel 36 on ssid "XXXXX5G" 3:59 pm 11/21/2018
I can see where people's phones are roaming as they wander the office, but I'd expect static, fixed devices to pick one and stay there.

Do I just have too many APs saturating the area? Is the network trying to move everyone around to keep the load even between them? Is there a way to change the threshold where roaming occurs? Or do I just need to turn a few off to limit the overlapping areas?

Thanks,
Matt
Kudos: 32
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

That sounds like overlapping signals. Did you try to disable one or two ap?

There is no load balancing, as the client makes the decision to roam. You could try to work with minimum signal levels but I don't expect that it will help much. 

Kudos: 4480
Solutions: 1162

Hello @matt-james,

Welcome to the community!

Could you post your system config?

Settings > Maintenance > Support Info > Show System Config

Clients roam by themselfs.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

@martijnjongen - no, I have not tried disabling any of the APs.  My worry is that I don't want the entire office running through a single (or too few) devices and it starts to impact performance.  It's a thought that has occurred to me, but at this point, it's a last resort.  Maybe I'll shift some to 2.4G and some to 5G and see if that kind of separation helps or not.

@AmazedMender16 see attached.

I appreciate the help.  I'm getting ready to take off for the holiday weekend, but will check back in on Monday to provide more information and check on any suggestions that the group has.

Thanks for the quick replies to this point.

Matt

systemConfig.png

Hello @matt-james,

Is the client right between both UAPs?

What is the signal strenght of the client?

May I ask why you're on such an old firmware/controller version?

I recommend upgrading to atleast 5.6.40 and firmware version 3.9.54

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x

In the event listing that I posted last week, the client is about 10' from "Kitchen", 50' from "Open Area" and 60' from "Reception".
I'm not sure how to determine the signal strength of the client. On a smarter device, it may be possible, but with the Chromecast, I don't have a lot of access to settings or information.
As for the firmware and controller, I just hadn't taken the time to upgrade them. If there is a specific reason to do so, I'll make more of a point of it. I just hadn't been keeping up with every change that has come up since the network was originally stood up.

Thanks,
Matt

Hello @matt-james,

There have been alot alot alot of fixes, yours might be included...

You can can enable th signal stength view

Clients > Gears ( top right ) > Customize Columns

Regards,

Glenn R.

So, in the last little bit since I added that column, I've seen some oddities. One device went from Drink Fridge -> 17% (-83 dBm) (120' away) to Conf Room -> 99% (-48 dBm) (10' away). I'm not sure how it ended up on "Drink Fridge" in the first place, as it's the furthest AP from the device and would have had to pass every other AP in the network to get there. What's the logic on how roaming works that a device feels the need to jump from one AP to another and in such an illogical manner?

What kind of "fix" do you think that I should be looking for? Is there some setting that I can change to reduce roaming or change the threshold when it happens? What might upgrading get me to make everything more stable?

[ Edited ]

Hello @matt-james,

The client choses if he wants to roam or not... you could apply minimum RSSI to kick low signal clients off the UAP.

Upgrading is always a good thing, it will have all the latest updates.... Why would you wanne stay on firmware thats 1/2 years old?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Where would I change the Minimum RSSI? Would that also affect how clients connect/roam to access points as well? If I set the threshold high enough, would that eliminate a lot of the roaming that's going on?

To me, upgrading the firmware is about risk v reward. If there's something specific to get, I'm all for it. But, if there's not and what we have is working as well in the high percentage of cases, I'd rather not risk breaking something. I'm a developer and have done hardware integrations before, and when we had to write firmware upgrade processes, it definitely didn't go as smooth as we'd hoped all the time and we brick'd more than a few devices trying to get from one firmware version to the next. It's made me risk-averse, so I'd rather go with something that's working rather than try to always stay on the cutting edge if I don't have to. I'll see if I can't schedule an upgrade to see what changes it brings and take it from there.

Hello @matt-james,

You can always downgrade... UBNT wouldn’t release stable firmware if it’s not stable...

Take a look at this article about Minimum RSSI.

Regards,

Glenn R.