Unifi AC Pro - Frequent Drops with Apple hardware

Setup: 2 locations, both totally separate from each other (different networks, different controllers, different accounts).  Both running Cloud key, tp link swtich, USG and 2 Unifi AC Pros

In BOTH locations I'm getting frequent (5-10x a day) drops on apple devices.  Does not seem to affect any other devices.  Specifically a Macbook Pro and Macbook air (both 2018 models).  Everything is up to date - cloud key, USG, AC pros and also the macbooks.

It's driving me nuts.  In the middle of a meeting or call and BOOM disconnected.  I may have to hardwire for the time being, which isn't ideal but is possible.

Kudos: 448
Solutions: 116

Re: Unifi AC Pro - Frequent Drops with Apple hardware

Please post a screenshot of this:

Settings > Maintenance > Show System Config

Thanks for the reply! Screenshots attached

network2.png
location1.png

OK, there are a few things I can't see there that I thought I would be able to, but here goes...

Enable Connectivity Monitor can be turned off, you don't need it because you have no wireless uplinks.

I cant see but:

Make sure fast roaming is turned off.

In Settings, if you turned on Auto Optimize, turn that off.

Now, I noticed that you have your radios set to Auto. In fact, in the office, not only are they set to auto, but they are on the same channel which is not good. You should do site surveys of these locations and put the radios on the channels with the least interference, and certainly not on the same channels.

Let's start there and then we can fine tune once those are resolved.

Kudos: 4039
Solutions: 1039

Hello @nerocomunifi,

Do you have Auto-Optimize Network enabled?

Settings > Site > Auto-Optimize Network

Disable the Uplink Connectivity Monitor

Settings > Site > Uplink Connectivity Monitor

Also use the following Radio Settings.

Devices > UAP > Config > Radios

2.4 GHz
Channel width: HT20
Chanel: 1/6/11 | Choose one of these channels, a RF scan will help you choose the most clean one.
Transmit Power: Low ( Medium )

5GHz
Channel width: VHT40 | Optional VHT80/VHT160 might decrease wireless stability
Chanel: 36/44 | Optional (149/157) Choose one of these channels, a RF scan will help you choose the most clean one. Avoid using DFS Channels
Transmit Power: Medium ( High )

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

Thanks for the replies all.

- I do have Auto Optimize Enabled.  I just recently enabled it, but was having issues prior to enabling it. I'll disable it anyways just to test

- I'll disable uplink connectivity monitor

- Fast roaming is disabled

- It's odd since I just started seeing issues recently.  For 6+ months it's been rock solid.

- I'm not disagreeing with you guys - just trying to understand - they've always been set to auto for channel, but why would both sites all of a sudden start having issues around the same timeframe? It's confusing to me. They are nowhere physically near each other. One is in an area that has a lot of other wireless networks (the office) and the home one has a few wireless networks around but it's not crowded.

Hello @nerocomunifi,

Keep the Auto-Optimize Network disabled, it’s causing quite a few issues.

When exactly did it start happening?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x

[ Edited ]

Auto Optimize is brand new, so it hasn't been on for 6 months. I think it is at least part of your problem, even though you are still seeing issues.

I have several Apple devices on my network, and both of my indoor APs are AP-AC-Pros, no trouble at all here.

It could be that someone installed a new "something" next to you that is interfering with your wifi. Until you do some scans, you won't know.

Hello @RobbieH,

He said that it's been rock solid for 6 months.

Regards,

Glenn R.

[ Edited ]

I realize that, but Auto Optimize has not been out that long. And, someone may have installed something next to him that's causing issues. My statements stand. Go back and read what I said rather than attack me.

[ Edited ]

Thanks guys for your feedback!

I'll start with disabling auto optimize.  I'm a believer in doing one thing at a time, so there's no massive amount of changes. Easier to track and keep in the brain.

Both sites started doing it around the same time which makes me wonder if either a MacOS udpdate or a firmware update is part of the issue.  I have 2 macs, 2 different locations, both with same issues around the same time, curoius for sure. 

Edit: I did a site survey on the home APs (wont touch it at work due to it being live and dont want to kick anyone off) and this is what it came back with:

2g.png
5g.png

[ Edited ]

Hello @nerocomunifi,

Please keep us posted, also take a look at the UAP logs.

What firmware/controller version did you have installed before the issues?

Use channel 11 on that UAP.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Are you having this problem with iPhones as well?

No issues that have been reported for iphone.

By the way, here's a site scan of the office location:

5g.png
2g.png

Hello @nerocomunifi,

Use channel 11 and 36

Regards,
Glenn R.

Thanks! How are you reading this to make the decision? I'd be curious to know so I can better understand it. This is an area of networking that's new to me. I understand the idea of channels, but how you're reading it to decide is new.

Crap. Yeah still disconnecting even with the automatic optimization off, in both locations.

Hello @nerocomunifi,

Check the UAP logs..

How exactly are they disconnecting?

Regards,

Glenn R.

I think I see it - it looks like it's roaming AP's:

<computer> roams from <ap> to <ap2> from channel 144 to channel 44 on SSID "<ssid>"

Hello @nerocomunifi,

You can expect/see some packed drop when roaming.

Regards,

Glenn R.