Kudos: 10
Solutions: 1

Re: Unifi AP-AC Incompatible Model

[ Edited ]

we are in the same boat. 

We thought ubqiuiti would support their products for longer than this.

Quite  annoyed with this actually.

They market themselves as a cheaper alternative to Cisco,Ruckus etc. However they EOL a device after just a couple of years. This is nuts as it actually makes them more expensive. The frustrating part is that we have a mix of new and old ones and now have to settle for an older controller version just to be able to use our 'old' square AC ap's.

Ubiquiti how about making a trade in for the square ap's and therefore allowing us to upgrade to the newer devices for cheaper as you have  obviously made a mistake with the square AC AP's and are killing them off now?

Kudos: 7

agreed, especially when I bought that fancy new AC AP because you figure it would be supported for the longest period of time.
Kudos: 179
Solutions: 22

@infrag wrote:

we are in the same boat. 

We thought ubqiuiti would support their products for longer than this.

Quite  annoyed with this actually.

They market themselves as a cheaper alternative to Cisco,Ruckus etc. However they EOL a device after just a couple of years. This is nuts as it actually makes them more expensive. The frustrating part is that we have a mix of new and old ones and now have to settle for an older controller version just to be able to use our 'old' square AC ap's.

Ubiquiti how about making a trade in for the square ap's and therefore allowing us to upgrade to the newer devices for cheaper as you have  obviously made a mistake with the square AC AP's and are killing them off now?

The problem stems from a buggy chipset which caused problems industry wide post deployment. Blame Broadcom for shipping buggy crap.

That said, this topic has been (over)worked to death on multiple threads on this forum already. Your options are to stay on 5.6 or replace the devices, sorry.

Kudos: 4

Same boat here and giving me quite the headache, having multiple sites with mixed WAPs. I don't understand why UBNT would make AC models would be completely inaccessible, rather than just stop offering updates for it. Now I have to run two controllers to support my older AC WAPs and a newer controller to take advantage of the features of my sites with newer WAPs. It’s just not practical to tell your customer/install base that they need to upgrade their hardware when it works perfectly fine. So much for “Unified”…

NOTE: I’m a HUGE fan of UBNT and have been meaning to post about my sites and success with their product lines; Unifi, Airmax and Edge. Absolutely love them all and haven’t had a bad thing to say about UBNT since I started using them back in 2011ish? I feel terrible this is one of my first posts.

Kudos: 1

This is a major violation of the trust we have placed in Ubiquiti.  $500 for an AP and now we need to run hoops around controllers to manage the site(s) properly.

In their post (https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Updates-Blog/UAP-AC-UAP-AC-Outdoor-LTS-Announcement/ba-p/2059058), they are essentially saying they are too lazy to keep these models running.

Between this and the fiasco with the US-16-XG switch, I don't see it as prudent to be replacing hardware with more Ubiquiti equipment.  Good riddance.

Best of luck. Don’t forget to write. 

Kudos: 7

[ Edited ]

Don't dismiss like that. This is a pretty expensive decision that Ubiquiti dropped on us and he is right to be upset.

I personally got the AC v2 because it was the newest model and would have support for a long time. Clearly I was wrong, and while I'm not swearing them off or anything, they no longer get my absolute trust. 

Don't cape up for companies when they treat other customers poorly - they don't care about you and you could very well be the next person getting the short end of the stick.

@ClayM wrote:

Don't dismiss like that. This is a pretty expensive decision that Ubiquiti dropped on us and he is right to be upset.

I personally got the AC v2 because it was the newest model and would have support for a long time. Clearly I was wrong, and while I'm not swearing them off or anything, they no longer get my absolute trust. 

Don't cape up for companies when they treat other customers poorly - they don't care about you and you could very well be the next person getting the short end of the stick.

The subject has been discussed to death for months now. Blame can be spread wide, but it boils down to a flawed chipset that caused problems industry wide which has been abandoned by its manufacturer (Broadcom). Other equipment providers affected by the screwy hardware have taken the same action. 

It sucks, but it happens sometimes, and people whingeing about it has become tiresome. They need to move on. If that involves finding another provider, best of luck and best wishes. No need to announce the decision. Just move on. 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 15

Thanks Mike,

That's great for now but what about the future for a mixed-environment? 

I know in the past I've needed to update a controller to get latest firmware on an AP - how can we deal with such updates?

Established Member
Kudos: 130
Solutions: 43

Thanks Mike,

I know in the past I've needed to update a controller to get latest firmware on an AP - how can we deal with such updates?

You can manual upgrade firmware for latest access points.

Cheers,

Mike

If the feedback solved your problem or question. Please mark it as solved. If it is worth some Kudo’s don’t forget to give some :-)

I share your frustration have 2 of them as well and really think it’s disappointing from ubiquiti
Emerging Member
Kudos: 16
Solutions: 4

The new controller version should still be able to provision them sheesh.

I understand not adding new features to those models but dropping support totally is a bit harsh.

Seriosly, it is still happy with the ancient UAP 2.4 models.

We have several hotels with several generations of ubnt gear. not cool.

Established Member
Kudos: 130
Solutions: 43

@meber, you need to stay on v5.6.xx series for these device.

So it's not supported on higher version like v5.7.xx or v5.8.xx

Greetings,

Mike

If the feedback solved your problem or question. Please mark it as solved. If it is worth some Kudo’s don’t forget to give some :-)

Yes, that's what I understood, just wished I found out before I upgraded my cloud key. Or wished there was an easy downgrade possibility made available trhough the GUI. While I don't like it, I somehow can understand and will have to live with it. but why don't they provide a move to 5.6 button in the GUI like there are upgrade buttons.
I upgraded my cloud key, don't have a backup (yes I know but still) so moving back to 5.6 will be an extremely painfull process with deployment from the ground up if I understood well.

We had a P2P  burn out over the weekend.  I'm ordering a new one now.  Not sure which exactly yet but I can guarantee it won't be anything Ubnt because they have demonstrated that they may not support it very long.

Established Member
Kudos: 437
Solutions: 45

@eadler wrote:

Thanks Mike,

I know in the past I've needed to update a controller to get latest firmware on an AP - how can we deal with such updates?

For a mixed environment you can run two controllers - one for the old stuff and another for the new stuff.

Of course that is a pain, but the world moves on.

just purchased a cloud key and found this out!

oh cr@p!

Time to send it back I think!

Established Member
Kudos: 437
Solutions: 45

@flaphead wrote:

just purchased a cloud key and found this out!

oh cr@p!

Time to send it back I think!

What? You can run the 5.6 controller on the cloud key.

Established Member
Kudos: 432
Solutions: 87

@BarrySDCA wrote:

We had a P2P  burn out over the weekend.  I'm ordering a new one now.  Not sure which exactly yet but I can guarantee it won't be anything Ubnt because they have demonstrated that they may not support it very long.

@BarrySDCA,

"...I can guarantee it won't be anything Ubnt because they have demonstrated that they may not support it very long."

In the case of the crappy chip in the old square UAP-AC units, that same chip is in a lot of other manufacturers' devices that those manufacturers are not supporting either, so you had better avoid them as well.

Gregg

@greggmh123 wrote:

@BarrySDCA wrote:

@BarrySDCA,

"...I can guarantee it won't be anything Ubnt because they have demonstrated that they may not support it very long."

In the case of the crappy chip in the old square UAP-AC units, that same chip is in a lot of other manufacturers' devices that those manufacturers are not supporting either, so you had better avoid them as well.

Gregg

I’ve just stopped acknowledging this whingeing, which I suspect is coming from SOHO users. They tend to expect gear to run and be supported forever, and selling this kit to them via Amazon and prosumer stores was (I continue to believe) a mistake from the outset. It creates more problems than it’s worth. The bulk of the commentary here bears that observation out I think. 

Any realistic enterprise is IMO going to be scrapping / donating / surplus selling gear and replacing it as soon as it’s fully depreciated. The problem solves itself in short order.