Emerging Member
Kudos: 15

Re: Unifi AP-AC Incompatible Model

I understand the whining while I don't agree with writing off the vendor completely for this communication issue (that's really what I see it
as).
I don't expect equipment to be supported forever but I also don't expect a management tool to drop it with little passive notice. Luckily this was noticed right at the end of our fiscal year and I was able to replace the existing rather than complete a project I had set funds aside for which will end up taking place next month instead (taking funds from another project as this FY was already budgeted). My APs are staggered. They were originally UAPs at a lower deployment ratio, then half UAP and half UAP-AC, then half UAP-AC and half UAP-AC-Pro, now half UAP-AC-Pro and half UAP-AC-Pro-v2.

What I do expect is active notification of deprecation of support and a plan for that deprecation that includes 'continuing' support of some kind - in this case, I'd expect the controller to still talk to and manage those even if features and updates are lost, not "oh, if you have one of those you have to stop at this version" which I learned about after upgrading PAST that version. I get notices about new products in my e-mail from vendors, why not a notice about discontinuing of support with a plan?

As for donating, I had thought of that and even had contemplated just configuring them to be simple APs for emergency/outside-office uses but, realistically, I don't want to put ourselves or another non-profit organization in a place where they can't manage their system or can't keep their system updated because there are no further updates. The only organization I know of locally that has the technical background to handle such already has two UAPs deployed and they would want to keep the software up-to-date to manage and update them.
Established Member
Kudos: 437
Solutions: 45

@eadler wrote:
What I do expect is active notification of deprecation of support

What do you have in mind? Something like a recall on cars?

Note that Ubiquiti doesn't have any per-device registration, so they don't have a means of active notification.

They did notify on this web site.

Kudos: 71
Solutions: 1

@elcid89 wrote:

@greggmh123 wrote:

@BarrySDCA wrote:

We had a P2P  burn out over the weekend.  I'm ordering a new one now.  Not sure which exactly yet but I can guarantee it won't be anything Ubnt because they have demonstrated that they may not support it very long.

@BarrySDCA,

"...I can guarantee it won't be anything Ubnt because they have demonstrated that they may not support it very long."

In the case of the crappy chip in the old square UAP-AC units, that same chip is in a lot of other manufacturers' devices that those manufacturers are not supporting either, so you had better avoid them as well.

Gregg

I’ve just stopped acknowledging this whingeing, which I suspect is coming from SOHO users. They tend to expect gear to run and be supported forever, and selling this kit to them via Amazon and prosumer stores was (I continue to believe) a mistake from the outset. It creates more problems than it’s worth. The bulk of the commentary here bears that observation out I think. 

Any realistic enterprise is IMO going to be scrapping / donating / surplus selling gear and replacing it as soon as it’s fully depreciated. The problem solves itself in short order. 

Well, to be honest, we work in the Small Business segment, we have a few of these units in our own offices and we have a few customers with these, and yes, everyone is annoyed, the old UAPS can stay but their "newer" gear we sold them is now not manageable anymore. (staying on an old controller version is not an option for us with a lot of sites)

Sure, the Chipset wasnt the greatest broadcom product, but it wasnt our choice that Ubnt decided to use them.

I can imagine you want to early retire them, but then offer a fair trade-up program for you disapointed customers sow e can offer them something that doesnt break our bank.

Dont ask my why, but we have a stack of Aruba AC AP's left, so in our office we will replace ubnt (what we love to sell to our customers) with Aruba, not really "eat your own dog food"  but it has to do.

Yes, that is a solution for the old AP's, but what about the new ones that needs the new controller software?
We will now have to run 2 controllers to accomplish that, which is is idiotic.

I totally agree. We bought those AP's only a couple of years ago, the highest price for a Unifi device ever, and now EOL.
All the much older unifi devices are still running smoothly.

Clearly you are not the one paying for this.

I cannot engage with a client telling them that they need to purchase new AP's because the ones Irecommended them 2-3 years ago was crap. 

Ubiquiti should make a trade in, giving a big discount when you trade in the bad product they sold, and do not want to support anymore.

Funny how this kind of actions are almost endorsed. If they could make it work in 5.6, they can make it work in 5.7....5.8 and on...

Hell, just write a disclaimer about it, and let users decide.

How will 2 controllers work, when the AC v2 is wirelessly uplinked to a new AP, only supported in version 5.7 and newer?

...but have they stopped working as well?

...ah so size matters here... So large enterprises are more important that small to medium sized business?

The controller identifies the device, so they could easily have written a disclaimer i 5 versions of the controller, before EOL'ing the device.
...and as noticed, all the original, and very old Unifi still works just fine in the Unifi controller version 5.7

Fantastic! It worked as you wrote!

The problem with staying on the old firmware (which I did for as long as I could) is that it will not communicate properly with the devices and will not block users that are not authorized. I tried for two weeks to block specific MAC address and it kept giving me an error that it didn't communicate properly.  As soon as I update the firmware, I could block the devices, but it made 8 of my APs unusable for monitoring.

Kudos: 2217
Solutions: 640

[ Edited ]

Hello @WarriorNet,

Could you give more information such as controller/firmware versions and UAP model.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Emerging Member
Kudos: 5

Does anyone know if i can still SSH into the old AP-AC Square one and make config changes?   I'd be fine leaving in my controller for my clients, because they are working, but if i'm adjusting radio strength and channel assignments, can i just do it via the SSH CLI and be good?  Or have i lost the ability to do that as well?  (i don't see a technical reason why it shouldn't work)

Hello @sneakyjn,

The controller overrides the changes you make in the CLI.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M

Thanks, can you ellaborate?  

Are you saying that if i use the CLI via SSH to change the channel of AP-AC from 6 to 1, that the controller will override that and set it back to 6?   If this is the case, i suspect b/c the Controller database/config for that devices is 6, and when i change it to channel 1 in the firmware on the AP-AC, that does not do a WRITE operation to the Controller, so the controller still has 6, and then at some interval it does a check and cleanup/reset back to 6? 

Any way to disable that i wonder?

Hello @DDSAdmin,

If you change the channel to 1 via CLI, on the next provision the controller will put it back to channel 6.

You can't disable that.

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG

Uggg, thanks for the confirmation Glenn.

All setup and good now.

3 UAP-AC Outdoor (depricated) WAPs running on a Cloud Key Gen1 with LTS Controller 5.6.40

10+ UAP-xxx (modern) WAPs running on a Cloud Key Gen2+ with SDN Controller 5.9.29

Mirrored the WIFI/Network settings on each controller.

Clients are happily roaming from device to device across the campus without issue.

I'm able to manange the older devices on the LTS controller.

Still working through some Rogue Access Point issues and posted about it in the Forum.

Will retire/upgrade the outside WAPs as the budget permits.

Appreciate the help in this forum, thanks all.

Hello @DDSAdmin,

Awesome, thanks for reporting back!

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG