Highlighted
Kudos: 2
Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

Unifi AP-AC-LR horrible upload speed after 4.0 firmware upgrade

Unifi AP-AC-LR was operating fine.  ISP is Comcast Xfinity, can get 10-12 Mbps upload speeds per Speedtest.

After installing the 4.0.xxxx firmware, upload speeds on both 2.4G and 5G networks are in the 0.25 to 0.5 Mbps range.  Download seems normal.  Configuration settings were not changed at the time of the firmware upgrade or since.  Installed the latest 4.0 update last night, no change to the upload slowness.

Before you make guesses - it's not interference from other devices; 5G has almost nothing on it.  And I can stand right in front of the AP with any wireless device I own and get the same upload problem.

Anybody else experiencing this?  Anybody have some idea what might be causing this?

Accepted Solutions

Re: Unifi AP-AC-LR horrible upload speed after 4.0 firmware upgrade

For whatever it's worth:  reverting to firmware 3.9.54.9373 fixed the problem.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Established Member
Kudos: 703
Solutions: 209

what client device?

Do you have the controller collecting stats? If so go to Statistics -> Performance -> "Your AP" and scroll down to the section with the errors, anything interesting in there (especially in the RX Crypt Errors graph)?

The only thing that's odd is Transmit Drops over the past day look like they're steadily increasing, though the rate is less than 0.1% which doesn't seem like it should explain the upload problem.  And we're talking about very low overall traffic levels at this point.

For whatever it's worth:  reverting to firmware 3.9.54.9373 fixed the problem.

Kudos: 4127
Solutions: 1063

Hello @josudar,

I can't replicate this behaviour...

Could you try to upgrade again?

If it again slows down, could you factory reset the UAP?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Kudos: 4

[ Edited ]

I have the same slow upload speed issue on the AC LR and AC Lite but on iDevices and I do get loads of Invalid RX Crypts piling up when it's happening.  Reading this post reminded me I did try 3.9.54 early on (before various other builds) but the issue persists. Are there any known causes for invalid RX crypts, even when your signal strength is near perfect and no interference, and even with only one client on the AP?

My issue: 

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Very-slow-UPLOAD-speeds-e-g-1-3-Mb-s-from-all-Apple-iOS...

[ Edited ]

Sorry, as much as I'd love to help, I'm not operating a testbed for Ubiquiti.  I'm trying to get Wifi working reliably for two families in the house where I live, and now that it's working normally again I'm not about to mess with it out of curiosity.

[ Edited ]

I have the same issue.

I have factory reset the box.

v3.9.42.9152 allows broadband download speeds of around 200mbps, in line with what it should be.

v4.0.21.995 drops to about 70-80mbps. 

Using speedtest.net app on a OnePlus 6 phone. 5g only network, 80mhz. Tried different power & channels etc but it's def the firmware.

Just tried v4.0.14.9736 and I have the same slow speeds.

The interesting thing is that I have 2x AP-AC-LR, and only one is affected. The other has 200mbps on the latest firmware. They have both been updated at the same time over the past couple of years, so have the same firmware path.

Very confused!!!!!!

Can anyone help?

P.S. I have just tried it with v4.0.9.9636, and still the same slow speed issue. The only accessible version before that, for me, is v3.9.42.9152, which works at full speed on the problematic AP.

Done some further testing, here's the complete rundown:

I have two UAP-AC-LR access points. I'm having a speed issue with one of them on the 5G Radio.

One access point gives me 200Mbps, one gives me less...depending on the cable length.

On v3.9.42.9152 of the AP firmware I get 200Mbps, at all cable lengths, so all ok.

However, when I update the AP to version 4.xxx I get the following (when standing 2m from the AP with clear sight, no walls etc)
3m cable = 150mps
10m cable = 75mps
15m cable = 30mps

I have tried cat 5e, cat 6, and cat 7 cable, all have issues, though I think there is a slight improvement on a cat 5e cable (I beleieve these use a lower gauge for voltage transfer)

I have tried the following firmware versions, all of which give the same issue:
v4.0.21.995
v4.0.14.9736
v4.0.9.9636

NOTE: My other UAP-AC-LR is working fine on the latest firmware (4.0.21.995) with the same 15m Cat 7 cable as tested above.

I have done extensive testing and tried the following, NONE of which made any difference:
- Reset the AP via the button on the AP
- Reset the AP via the UniFi-Discover software
- Disabling the working AP to ensure no interference.
- Switched over the PoE injectors - No change, injectors are fine
- Checked the Uplink is 1000 Full Duplex
- Channel width is set to VHT80 (which works perfectly for the other AP)
- I have tried various Channels and Transmit Power settings, including Auto. None of which make any real difference.
- Tried disabling 2G on the AP
- Kept testing the internet speeds on the working AP to rule the incoming broadband speed out.
- Checked other wifi signal strengths & did a site survey. Nothing of any issue.
- Tried the non-working AP on in the same place, with the same cable, settings etc as the working AP. The issue is definitely related to the AP itself.
- Using Speedtest Ap, and Google's own speedtest.
- Tried using both a OnePlus 6 and Samsung Galaxy S9 to test, both of which have decent
- TX & RX rates are both 867Mbps aen close to the AP

There is definitely an issue with the AP, I've ruled everything else out. And this issue only happens with the v4.xxx firmware, v3.xxx seems to work fine. It seems as if the AP isn't getting the full strength signal/power to then transmit out.

I wonder if anyone from Ubiquiti reads these messages.  This is clearly not a unique problem that only I had (or only you), and since the percentage of people who bother posting problem reports is likely quite low, there may be hundreds/thousands of cases where this is happening but we just haven't heard from them. 

I can't risk experimenting with my single Unifi AP-AC-LR which supports access for two families and a dozen or more devices, but I'd love to know if the version 5 firmware has addressed this problem or not.  I'm stuck at the version 3 firmware which I know works until I hear that people who had the same problem no longer have it with some new firmware version.

Ubiquiti, are you listening?