Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Kudos: 1
Accepted Solution

Unifi AP-AC

[ Edited ]

Hey there!

I am curious about the 2 Ethernet Ports on the Unifi AP-AC.  Where can I learn more about why this AP has 2 ports?  In all the documentiton that I've found it just states that there are 2 ports, but not what I can do with them.

In a perfect world, in a perfect world I would like to provide wireless ability to 2 separate networks (192.168.16.0/16 and 10.10.0.0/16) over 2 separate wireless SSID's.  This way I can have a corporate network managed by a single firewall, then a play network managed by a consumer grade firewall that supports BYOD consumer stuff.

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
SuperUser
Kudos: 7548
Solutions: 1229

Re: Unifi AP-AC

If you want to isolate networks, use a switch or router
that provides VLANs. UniFI radios can use VLANs
to isoloate multiple SSIDs.  Dave

> HQ in Seacoast region New Hampshire U.S.A.
> Ubiquiti Certified Trainer [UCT] for:
     UBWA [AirMax] / UEWA [UniFi] / UBRSS [routers]
UBNT.NH@gmail.com

View solution in original post

All Replies
SuperUser

If you want to isolate networks, use a switch or router
that provides VLANs. UniFI radios can use VLANs
to isoloate multiple SSIDs.  Dave

UBNT.NH@gmail.com

Could you elaborate please?  If I have 2 sepeate networks connected to 2 separate switches, how would a VLAN help?

SuperUser

[ Edited ]

Oh--you had a thought that a UniFi would allow you to
combine two completely different IP scopes.

You need to either make them into one scope by coordinating
the IP addresses between them, or you need to route between
them using -- you guessed it -- a router.

You could also use a router to generate a separate VLAN for
each IP scope; each scope will remain isolated. You could
then combine the VLANs onto one port [trunk them], where
a UniFi could use each for a separate SSID.   Dave

UBNT.NH@gmail.com
SuperUser
Kudos: 1957
Solutions: 390

@Dave-D is right, to do what you want, you need at least a VLAN capable router. You will need a VLAN capable switch also, depending on the number of APs you plan do deploy.

The two LAN ports on the UAP-AC are simply a soft switch, the second port is logically bridged with the first port. No PoE passthrough or even a separate network like you envisioned, it does exatcly what a switch does.

Redcon IT Solutions - Florianópolis/SC/Brazil -www.redcon.com.br
To my mind it appears that the difficulty is only imaginary and not real. Rigidity and plasticity are not absolute terms but relative, and all solids are in fact both rigid and plastic. The apparent contrast between the two properties belongs to the laboratory and to those phenomena of nature involving small masses and small forces. When great masses and great forces are involved, as for example in the making of continents and mountain chains, the distinction loses value. - Grove Karl Gilbert
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1303
Solutions: 82

funkysimian wrote:

Could you elaborate please?  If I have 2 sepeate networks connected to 2 separate switches, how would a VLAN help?

you don't need separate switches, a decent switch can handle many different VLANs (up to 4096). Grown up switches handle VLANs within VLANs, often referred to as PVLANs. There are features of the PVLAN that make it very useful when dealing with guests, things and the BOD scenario. If you need a thrill, you can even have promiscuous ports

R+C

Thanks for your reply, this makes sense now as I didn't fully understand vlans beyond just partitioning ports on a switch.  Now that i've read the RFC and countless hours of streamed training videos, it's all coming together!  Thanks!

J

Kudos: 7

The second port is for attaching another AP (daisy chain/link). Of course it need it's own external poe adapter. The first one can power itself from wire poe. It's also possible to link a pc to the second port when you PVID the default vlan. Wifi AP ip is then part of the pc vlan of course, but wifi networks can use their own vlans.

SuperUser

I sympathize!

Wouldn't it be cool if there were a single document

explaining how to deploy VLANs in a UniFi installation?

Not everybody finds this obvious.  Dave

UBNT.NH@gmail.com
Kudos: 44

would love to know more information about this hardware. So many ports and featrues and none of them described. UBNT tend to fill up HW stuff with ports, ssd slots, ethernet so we all later find out none of them work.

I think they are loosing marbles Mad2

Spoiler