Kudos: 1

Unifi AP-Lite Low Throughput?

Hello! I was wondering if I misconfigured my AP and how to get more bandwidth through it.

How I measure my throughput is being on my phone and laptop with 5Ghz (and 2.4Ghz) (2.4 Ghz is auto channel and 5Ghz is 157), I iperf from my wireless device to my pfSense firewall.

I only seem to get 40-50Mbps through my 5Ghz and 30Mbps through my 2.4Ghz channels, I had this AP for about a year and it has always been this way. Could it be a faulty unit or just misconfigured?

I apologize if I don't give enough information, I'm not very experienced with Ubiquiti products in general.

Kx11Iob

rSWjNAx

Kudos: 173
Solutions: 40

Re: Unifi AP-Lite Low Throughput?

What is your link rate to the AP - the max speed at which the devices are talking? Click on Clients, select your phone or laptop, under Details click Statistics and look at the TX and RX rates. On 5g bands they should be 300+ mbps. If not, try changing channel to 36 and check again.

On 2.4g bands, change your channel width to HT20 and select channel 1 or 6 or 11 whichever has the least activity. Turn power down to Medium. This will reduce interference from neighbours.

Do you have any switches in the mix? If so are they 100mbps or gigabit?

Thanks for the response, my 5Ghz network seems to be healthy. I'll try reducing the output to medium like you suggested, thank you for the help!

OVs6syf

I did your suggestions and it brought it up to 66.6Mbps from the 40Mbps, is this low for LAN transfer? I got >100Mbps before with other APs on this laptop I'm testing with so I don't think it's the laptop's side.

GjPscbp

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1286
Solutions: 208

[ Edited ]

Make sure that ATF (airtime fairness) is disabled; also any guest features as well as user groups with bandwidth limits reduce the performance of the AP, in particular the guest portal.

When reporting your test results tell us the negotiated PHY speeds, and state if your test device is 1x1 SISO or 2x2 MIMO.

You can expect around 50-60% of the negotiated PHY speed as actual throughput. Also do some reading on how to test WiFi with iperf and multiple streams!

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the reply, I apologize for not being able to answer everything, I've looked all over my Unifi panel to find the answers.

Is the PHY speeds is this: (I test with my laptop, BigHarlan)

How do I see the radio type? MIMO or SISO, I couldn't find anything like that in the Unifi.

When I did LAN -> Laptop (wifi) I got 685Mb/s but when I did Laptop -> LAN I got 0.90Bits (may be config error?)

Edit: Airtime Fairness is off

So it can push 685Mb but why do I only get 40-50Mbps for internet and 8MB/s file transfer across the network? I'm doing something wrong, thank you for the help!

F3ucBCv

Veteran Member

You probably did not mean to write 0.9 Bit/s, so what is the correct value?

Also the value of 685 Mbit/s throughput is weird because that is a too high value for 867 MHz PHY connection. Is this for wired or wireless?

The notebook is obviously 2x2 MIMO ac device operating on 80 MHz channel width in 5 GHz. Try one at a time to

- move 3-5m further away from the AP

- reduce 5G from 80 MHz to 40 MHz width (for testing even to 20 MHz)

- reduce 5G power from high to medium

Check the controller statistics for changes in the number of packets with receive errors for this AP.

For some reason it really did come out as 0.9Bits for some reason, but on the other direction (Laptop -> LAN) it's far above. Odd

I tried everything suggested and now I'm up to 70Mbps on my wifi which is much better, and my laptop is wireless only. (Has no ethernet port unfortunately)

Is there anything else I can do for slightly faster wifi? Here's the errors & details of my AP.

Thank you for the help!

77Gekrx

mdAPrdU

Veteran Member

[ Edited ]

@Compaticowrote:

On 2.4g bands, change your channel width to HT20 and select channel 1 or 6 or 11

Right now you are on channel 8 with HT40 for 2.4 G, and you have the transmit power at 23 dBm --> set it to a value between 12 and 14. The way it is now it is absolutely not good.

Can you show the same statistics for 5G?

Finally: Test the speed with a real life file transfer, so with SFTP or FTP or SMB.

tIMk9C1

I'm back up to full speeds over Wifi and transferring files over my network is as fast as my harddrives can handle. Thank you for the help everybody!

Kudos: 2

Care to share how did you achieve this? I'm having the same issue as you. Can't get past 100mbits on 5GHz

Regards,

Can you tell us what solved your problem? I have exactly the same issue here...
Kudos: 2

Set it to 80MHz, but the device range is not good, you gotta be in the same room to achieve max speeds. 

Highlighted

Apologies, I don't remember how I fixed it. However for my new configuration I am using stock configurations with latest firmware and I'm acheiving 100mbps+ over wifi.
Make sure you keep your Unifi up to date completely, try contacting the live support as they're very helpful!