Kudos: 147
Solutions: 23

Unifi AP: Maintaining SSH access whilst disabling password logins (authorized_keys only)

Hi,

I've have copied my authorized keys across to my Unifi APs and was wondering if there is anyway of disabling password logins on the unit. I don't mind if I have to do this locally on each unit providing it is persistent across reboots.

Kudos: 26

Re: Unifi AP: Maintaining SSH access whilst disabling password logins (authorized_keys only)

What command(s) did you use to copy the ssh authorized_keys to the Unifi AP's?

Re: Unifi AP: Maintaining SSH access whilst disabling password logins (authorized_keys only)

I just logged in via SSH and created the ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file manually.

[ Edited ]

Thanks. I used the one-liner below at the access point, though that doesn't survive an AP reboot:

$ cat ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub | ssh admin@192.168.1.16 "mkdir ~/.ssh;cat - >> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys;chmod -R 600 ~/.ssh"

Any suggestion how to make this AP config stick?

How to make to make the AP config stick?

# cfgmtd -w -p /etc

With thanks to bzavala at https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/clients-complain-about-dropping-from-connecting-to-unif...

Yes, cfgmtd to make an f/s change permanent. Oddly although this was necessary on my original Unifi APs, I don't recall it being necessary when I updated them to AC Pros. I guess it was but don't remember having to do so.
Established Member
Kudos: 490
Solutions: 50

[ Edited ]

Well I think guys that /etc/dropbear/authorized_keys is the file to use in the first place; otherwise it won't stick even after running

cfgmtd -w -p /etc

So, you'd use something like

ssh admin@192.168.1.1 "tee -a /etc/dropbear/authorized_keys" < ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub

to add your key.