Unifi AP Pro constantly disconnecting

Hello,

I manage a set of 28 Ubiquiti Unifi AP Pro on a school campus.

They all are configured with static IPs and use Ubiquiti PoE injectors.

Randomly, and constantly, some of them disconnect from the network. They appear disconnected on the controller, and when connected to it via wifi, they don't allow access to our network (no website can be displayed, loading never ends).

We are forced to unplug them and re-plug them to get them back online (until the next drop happens).

Is there a solution ?

Thanks.

SuperUser
Kudos: 5117
Solutions: 1714

Re: Unifi AP Pro constantly disconnecting

[ Edited ]

Disable Uplink Connectivity Monitor under Settings, Site, Services. All your APs are hard wired into switches, right?

I did it my way .... Man Happy
Established Member
Kudos: 915
Solutions: 244

Is your controller on the same network as your APs?

And BTW you mentioned that the APs are set to static IP.

I hope you assigned those IPs outside of the DHCP range. Did you?

Please give kudo's to the people who have helped you and mark your thread as solved when you receive a solution to your issue.
For a deeper understanding on how WiFi works.
Certified UEWA, ACSP, ACTC

All APs hard wired into Cisco 2950&2960 switches.
Uplink Connectivity Monitor already disabled.
All our APs are in a specific management VLAN that has its specific IP subnet with no DHCP listening on it (thus static configuration on every AP).
The controller of course has an interface in that VLAN.
Established Member
Kudos: 915
Solutions: 244

That the controller is in the same subnet as the APs is an interesting information.

It means that the disconnecting from controller is not depending on a router / L3 switch.

Although not able to access the Internet could be router related. 

What controller version are you running?

Has this been happening since your first install?

Or did it start to happen later.

Please give kudo's to the people who have helped you and mark your thread as solved when you receive a solution to your issue.
For a deeper understanding on how WiFi works.
Certified UEWA, ACSP, ACTC

I cannot tell precisely when the issue appears, but someone who installed the APs told me there was no issue during months after the install.

We are running 5.0.7 controller with 3.7.5.4969 firmware on every AP.

Last evening we had several disconnections, so I could make some investigations. What I found worries me a bit.

Indeed, when an AP appears disconnected in the controller :

• It is still powered (blue light) and still emmitting the SSIDs
  • It is impossible to connect to it
  • It is impossible to ping it from any host in our management VLAN (switch or computer) : destination host unreachable
  • On the switch, we notice that on the port where the AP is wired, mac address table is completely empty (I cannot even see the AP's mac address)
  • On the switch, on the port where the AP is wired, there zero incoming traffic (and I really mean zero packets)

What I deduce is that the AP is unable to send anything on the wire.

Very strange thing, sometimes the AP goes back up on its own, with no intervention from us.

The issue happens on various different switch models (Cisco old 2950, newer 2960, and brand new 2960x).

The AP switch ports are all configured as trunks with our management VLAN as native VLAN and spanning-tree portfast enabled, plus block unicast and multicast to prevent flooding from unsollicited traffic.

I really don't know what to do about this. So far our only solution was to power off the APs and to power them back on. I hope this is not real unreliability from Ubiquiti APs, which would otherwise end up being really costly for our organization ...

I have the same access points and the exact thing happens to me. Both my uap pro does the same while my ac pro does not.  Ubiquiti has rma'd my devices and the new devices do exactly the same thing.  It will work just fine then stop. Eventually if you leave it it will start working again. Then go down again. Lights stay fully lit blue with no disconnect in the logs. 

Using another brand access point, I don't have the problem. I've done so much testing that I'm pretty sure it's the access points.

oh yeah, per supports recommendations I even updated to beta software. Same thing.

im most likely going to just get rid of the access points at this time.

Kudos: 1

hello tdenta,

did you find a solution to your issue? we have been experiencing the same recurrent disconnection issue on our outdoor+ APs from 2 sites for several months. we already upgraded our unifi controller to the latest version 5.2.9 as well as the APs to 3.7.21.5389 but still the same issue.

have downgraded all UAP Pro from version 3.7.21 to 3.3.20.4019 (april update), and everything seems fine. so far, no disconnection for almost 3 consecutive days from the time of downgrade till now. Man Happy

any thoughts on this old firmware 3.3.20? is 3.7.21 firmware upgrade mandatory for all UAPs?

About a week or so ago I was about to update a couple AP Pros to 3.7.21.5389, but after reading about some of the recent issues I decided not to update them and left them running firmware 3.3.20.4019. They have been running without any issues for over 160 days (see pict.). They only serve about 30 mixed clients. Based on my earlier signal surveys... the signal strength from these APs, running 3.3.20.4019, appear not to be as strong as those of even earlier firmware releases. But... they have been running reliably and since I've gotten no complains about the signal strength... I have been reluctant to update them. I'm using controller version 5.29 and have disabled automatic firmware updates

UAP-ProStatus11-13-16.JPG

in our case, the latest firmware 3.7.21 seems stable for UAP-AC & AC-Pro models except for the UAP-Outdoor+ & UAP-Pro, which was causing the AP eternal disconnection issue in the controller before. now everything is fine. 

maybe in your case, the latest firmware might work without any issue. why not try upgrading at least 1 AP, & see how it works.

thanks

Kudos: 3

[ Edited ]

Hello,

we have the same Problem here, last week we did a new install Debian 9 with Unifi Controller LTS v5.6.37,

and restored our Controller Backup from a v3.

After that we upgraded over 100 APs with the actual FW 3.9.27.8537, that was a pain, because auto Update get stuck on half of the AP-Pros. Via SSH and inform command we could see a "Decrypt" Error in the Inform URL, the FW Version was actual, but the controller wasnt able to communicate. So we had to "Forget" these APs and to "Adopt" them again.

By the way, we didnt change the Username or the password, and the Inform Url was 100% right!

Now to our actual Problem, since the upgrade 7 days ago the Unifi AP-Pros are loosing network connections.

The ports on our Switches are offline, so i guess they are switching off their ethernet interface, because the SSIDs are still visible.

This occurs 2 times last 7 days with more than 50APs. It online helps to switch the Power on the PoE Port or to pull and plug the LAN on the PoE Adapters.

Thats horrible, we never expected such a problem with the old v3 controller and the old firmware, the UAP-Pros were running longer as a year, without any problems.

Controller: 5.6.37 on Debian 9

91x UAP-Pro FW: 3.9.27.8537

5x UAP FW: 3.9.27.8537

Problem occurs on UAP-Pro and UAPs

We have 4 UAP-AC-Pros, it seems they are not affected...

On Configuration - Zone Config, "advanced Features" are enabled.. could that be the problem?

Is there someone who can help us?

Best regards

Johannes

I know this sounds stupit, but have you guys tried out with a shorter RJ45 cable? Had this exact problem and found out that the AccessPoint only rebooted on full load when it was routed to my 50meter CAT6a cable. With my shorter 3m cable my AccessPoint became 100% stable. Perhaps POE issue? I don't know - Try it out...

Hello Everyone

Same issue here since I started with Unifi + controller about a year ago. Disconnects happens randomly during a week and not always the same access points. The longest I have gone without any disconnects is about 2 weeks. Otherwise I have 1 or 2 units disconnecting every week.

When the access points disconnect you cannot ping them, meaning you cannot access them. Only a cold reboot brings the unit back to life. I am suspecting the actual access point goes into a "hang \ freez" state.

I am running 3.9.27 on my AP's and 5.6.37 on my controller.

This is becomming very anoying and need it resolved. Can UBNT please look into this.

Thank you in advance for your support.

I have about 8 units running below 20meters to each access point, but the disconnects still happen. The AP goes into a freeze state. Only a reboot restores it.
Kudos: 3

[ Edited ]

We disabled the "advanced features" in the controller, until that we had no problems for 1,5 week...

Wireless Uplink is and was disabled, the Support mentiod a kind of firewall between APs and Controller,

but there is no iptables or anything else.

Regards Johannes 

Advanced Features is currently disabled and so is Wireless uplink. No fire-walling in between.
Highlighted

I have same problem here two AP-AC-Pro's installed and running fine for ~ 1 Month.  Starting 2 days ago one started randomly dropping off the network and reconnected sometime later.  If you catch it in the down state, you can either wait for it to come back up or force it back by power cycling it (recycle from POE switch).  Entire network if Unfi (Gateway, Switch, 2 AP-AC-Pros's.  So far only one is showing the issue.  Even when down the AP is still allowing wireless clients to connect to it but no DHCP or Internet.

Really annoying problem with no indication in logs of what is going on other than disconnect.

[ Edited ]

I found out (in my case) that it was ME that was an idiot Man Happy . I had put my POE adapter shortly after the output of my 24 port switch (24P Switch -> 1M CAT6 -> POE -> 25M CAT6 -> Unifi access point). I found out that the supplied POE adapter could not handle such a long cable drive and still remain stable. I therefore switched to the following order (24P Switch -> 25M CAT6 -> POE -> 3M CAT6 -> Unfi Accesspoint). After changing this order my access point has since run 100% stable at full speed.