Kudos: 3

Unifi Cloud Key SD card help

The supplied Kingston *GB SD card has never worked in my Cloud Key (CK).

I am new to Unifi and know next to nothing. I have some questions about using the SD card:

1. When I insert the card, the CK goes offline. I have to remove the card, then unplug the CK and plug it back in to get it back online. This has been problematic, the CK lost its configuration recently, I got it all back, but I had to reset all the adopted devices and start over.
  2. I've never been able to enable the auto-backup facility in the CK. Could the SD card be damaged? I've formatted it as ext4, even formatted as FAT32 and used it a PC without problems.
  3. Does the CK automatically format an SD card when you insert it, say if it's unformatted?
  4. I'd really like to get the auto-backup working. If I bought a new SD card, is there a size limit to the card I purchase, or should I play it safe and just get another 8GB card.
  5. Should I preformat a new SD card using ext4? I have a preference for SanDisk. They usually come preformatted as FAT32

Thanks for any advise.

Kudos: 5

Re: Unifi Cloud Key SD card help

I have exactly the same problem. Would like to know about this myself

Established Member
Kudos: 314
Solutions: 119

@MTCS

Hi, for cloudkey sd card backup look here:

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/226218448-UniFi-How-to-Configure-Auto-Backup

Please reward people who have helped you with kudo's and mark your thread as solved when you receive a solution to your issue.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 4
Solutions: 2

Hi,

@cempa. Thanks for the link there however I too was looking for some more clarity on whether I need to format the SD card prior to use or if the Controller will format it for me?

Cheers Man Happy

Kudos: 35
Solutions: 4

[ Edited ]

I just popped mine (8gb) right into the card slot, then powered it up..
SD card worked fine, so I "assume" no manual formatting was necessary and the controller did whatever was needed.

Emerging Member

Thanks, will give it a try and update this thread if I have any problems

Emerging Member

So if I plug in SD card as it is, I experience same issue as @MTCS where the controller goes offline and has to be restarted...so do we need to format the SD card prior to inserting it and if so, what is the correct format/steps to achieve this?

Emerging Member

UPDATE:

microSD card prepared itself. The Controller needed to be powered down when I inserted the SD and then plugged back in. I then had to access via the local IP address to set up the backup. All seems to be working now.
Kudos: 35
Solutions: 4

[ Edited ]

Cool,. I forgot to mention that I powered mine down, inserted the card , then powered it up.
I guess I "assumed" that one would automagically do that.
I don't know of ANY 'nix based devices that support hot-swappable SD cards. One usually has to unmount them first, remove/replace, then mount the new card... tho' I have been wrong before Man Happy

Kudos: 1

I have nearly the same issue! I can use the Unifi Cloud Key only without the delivered SD card.

When the SD card is inserted the LED flashes constantly white and it's not possible to access the Cloud Key. Even in DHCP the Cloud Key is not listed anymore (I have set a static IP adress - 192.168.0.30). 

Kudos: 2

Same problem - supplied SD card always prevents my CloudKey from ever working.  Straight out of the box.  Once it was removed, I was able to successfully set up the cloud key.  No combination of safe shut down, insert, restart ever worked.  Whenever the SD card is in the cloud key, it prevents it from starting up (Flashing LED).  

Dealing with a RMA didn't seem worth it, as this is a simple home install and I just make periodic backups to my computer...but...I, too, have this problem.

Kudos: 1072
Solutions: 291

Did you try another SD card?

No, yet. Would have to check first which size and other prerequisits exist for the SD Card.

[ Edited ]

Well, I could not figure out which format the SD card should have.

I have formatted the SD card with the SD association's formatting tool. After that my cloud key does boot with the SD card inserted and shows me a total of 10.30 GB disk space.

Unfortunately, it states for the SD card "We have detected that your SD card is missing. Please insert it and reboot your Cloud Key."

Bildschirmfoto 2018-04-18 um 14.01.22.png

Emerging Member

@itac wrote:
UPDATE:

microSD card prepared itself. The Controller needed to be powered down when I inserted the SD and then plugged back in. I then had to access via the local IP address to set up the backup. All seems to be working now.

Did anyone having recent troubles review this comment?

1. Remove your controller from power

2. Insert SD Card

3. Allow to power up, the SD card will prepare itself and format properly

4. Access you Controller via LOCAL IP during this process

5. Check all settings, configure backup and you're away

Man Happy

Kudos: 5

Tried already, didn't work

Did not work in my case.
Kudos: 3

Sorry for not replying for so long. I got a SanDisk Ultra 16 GB MicroSDHC UHS-I Memory Card several months back.

I shut down the cloud key before unplugging it, installing the card, then plugging it back in, which turns it back on if connected to a POE switch. I did this with an abundance of caution as I've lost the config from these cloud keys before and I really didn't want to go through configuring from scratch again.

So in answer to my own questions, here are my respective responses:

1. If this happens the SD card is probably duff.
  2. Ditto.
  3. There's no need to pre-format the SD card. The cloud key does it on first use
  4. It'll take 16GB cards for sure. No idea what the upper limit might be.
  5. see 3.

My cloud key is now backing up every week and keeps the backup for 90 days. Hopefully, I'll never need it.

Hope that helps.

Cloud Key SD card format-> ext4

May somebody still needs the information - the correct SD card format for the Cloud Key is "ext4".

I`ve tried to use a 64GB SD card, previously used in another environment and cloudn`t get it running in the Cloud Key until the SD card was formated in ext4

Kudos: 2

Re: Cloud Key SD card format-> ext4

Hi!

I had the same problem, but I got it working (maybe not all steps are required):

1) overwrite the first blocks of the SD card, while the card is inserted to your laptop/PC (replace $DEVICE with your correct device, otherwise you may erase important data on your PC!):  dd if=/dev/zero of=$DEVICE bs=1M count=10

2) shut down the CK and insert the SD card

3) boot the CK (this time it worked for me)

4) ssh root@localip

5) cat /proc/partitions   (if mmcblk1p1 exists, the sdcard has been automatically formatted by the CK)

6) mount /dev/mmcblk1p1 /data

7) (re)login to the cloud key and activate auto backup (https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/226218448-UniFi-How-to-Configure-Auto-Backup)

8) reboot the CK (in my setup the CK still worked)

Hope it helps,

bytesqueezer