Kudos: 8

Unifi Controller 5.10.12 - Bad Wifi Experience?!

Hello there,

i jsut updated my Unifi controller to version 5.10.12.

My notwork runs 2 AP-AC-Lite and one USG. All devices run the lates FW.

Since the upgrade to 5.10.12 the dashboard show a Wifi Experience Score between 0 and 30%. 

Some clients are reported they the have trouble obtaining an IP from the DHCP server.
DHCP and DNS services runs on a Windows 2016 Server. DHCP server is off in UBNT controller.

All clients get an IP normally without any problems.

I was used to see the dashboard in full green color. Everything was perfect since this new version of the controller.

How does the controller get an information that the client might have problems with obtaining IPs?

Normally it should not be aware of such issues.

Is there a way to get that fixed?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers, 

Axel

Kudos: 3006
Solutions: 810

Re: Unifi Controller 5.10.12 - Bad Wifi Experience?!

Hello @schwenke,

5.10.12 has WiFi Experience, 5.9.29 didn't have this feature..

I believe false DHCP Timeout/Failure reports got fixed in the latest BETA firmware.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Kudos: 7

Exactly same experience here, most clients gets WiFi Experience 0 but everyting seems to be working just fine. The feature "WiFi Experience" is simply not working (as intended?).

Kudos: 6

Same issue on my side, 3 of 4 of my 2.4 GHz IoT devices have 0 Wifi Experience but look working correctly.

This is not related to the distance between the device and the AP.

Screenshot 2019-02-09 16.52.28.jpg

No issue on the 5 GHz, but it's true these frequencies environments are cleaner in my location.

USG 3

150W 16 Port Unifi Switch

2 UAP AC Pro AP's

Cloud Key Gen2 Plus

Same issue here, one client, my laptop shows a 0% experience and says the problem is DHCP timeouts.  It's working fine, the Controller just THINKS there's a problem.  Don't know if it's connected but it's the same machine I launched the update to 5.10.12 from.

Kudos: 3

I am seeing this as well on 5.10.12 for a wireless printer I recently set up.

Kudos: 3

Yep same issue here, 2016 server running DNS and DHCP and it's show DHCP timeouts on the controller but all my devices are getting leases and quickly.  I flipped DHCP over to my USG and now I have no issues but thats not really a permanent solution.  I did a live support session as well and they said they don't have any way of identifying the issue currently.  Hopefully it gets fixed soon.  The last controller versione ersionthis issue as well in one of the widgets you can add but I just removed it.  In this version the whole dashboard says everything is broken.  

WiFi.JPGJust noted, I have multiple sites in my insallation. This screenshot is from L3 connecteded (over internet) site wich apperantly not suffers from the issue.

Compared to this (L2 site). Did I mention I am running the UniFi controller off a CloudKey?

Udklip.JPG

Established Member
Kudos: 580
Solutions: 157

as mentioned - a new beta AP firmware fixes that. You will need to wait for that to see the results.
Help the community by marking issues as solved when they are!

If you need some help or just someone to bounce ideas off on a project, please send requests/details to:
consult@think-networks.com

Beta? Icon Confused

With the risc of introdusing other beta problems in mind, is that a good idea?

Kudos: 8

That's also my problem.
I am no friend of Beta versions in an productive environment.

Betas solve some and bring some new problems. 

So, there is no fix at the moment? No way to turn the visibility of this off?

That is already relatively unsatisfactory.

[ Edited ]

Iagree

It hurt my eyes and triggers my OCD ;-)

-but still ... Best WiFI ever ....

Kudos: 3006
Solutions: 810

Hello @schwenke,

Wait for the firmware to get released if you don't want to load BETAs.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Kudos: 6

I reboot my USG and the Wifi Experience issues look gone!

Let see how it behave in the future...

Emerging Member
Solutions: 2

I had seen the same issue on a few of my devices after the update. Found going to Client -> Hover over client with issue -> click Reconnect (over to the right) cleared the issue. With the exception of one device which is my DirecTV Whole Home DVR. That one will go to 100% for a period of time and then back to 0% showing the following...

Cause : DHCP Timeout
Recommendation : Please check that your DHCP server is accessible and properly configured

Still trying to sort this one out as the device works fine. I am using pfSense router/firewall for DHCP server and it is configured to provide a static IP of 192.168.1.5 to that device, the device network configuration screen also shows it is using that IP, but Unifi shows it as being on 192.168.1.14 SO ... obviously something deeper going on with this device.

Reconnect temporarily makes everything green, but it quickly falls back.

I dont understand why DHCP suddenly should be a problem, it have worked flawlessly until now.

I am using Paloalto Networks PA220 as router/firewall and for LAN DHCP.

Regards ... 

Kudos: 2

I’m not on the Beta program, didn’t load a Beta version, and my system reflects the WiFi Experience. What do you suggest now?

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately, this is the production release, not a Beta.  The good news is that it appears to be a inaccurate reporting problem and not an actual problem with DHCP (at least for me).  The only device I have report problems is the laptop I'm using to respond to this post and it's working just fine, in spite of 'WiFi Experience' showing 0% and reporting continueing DHCP Timeouts.

\\

Kudos: 2

Then this appears to be a VERY SIGNIFICANT problem within a production release and of vetted properly, should have been caught in a Beta release, or SEVERAL Beta releases.