Kudos: 1

Re: Unifi Controller 5.10.12 - Bad Wifi Experience?!

I have a Fortigate managing DHCP (for multiple VLANs) and am not having any duplicate addressing issues, so this is likely a config issue on your gate or the unifi controller.

For everyone else, to save the constant #metoo - please upgrade your APs to BETA 4.0.22.9996 firmware. I did this a week ago and the health issues have been much better, the DHCP Timeout report has gone away completely, leaving the occasionally TCP Latency or WiFi Latency error reporting on a hand-full of my clients.

None of these reported issues actually manifest into clients reporting actual errors, so please just ignore the warnings, report to Ubnt and be patient until they fix it.

sirfragalot, before the update I've never had this issue, now I'm having it. That's why I'm wondering why I'm having this problems.

One more question, do you have USG too? I mean fortigate working with USG? If is that so, how did you manage to make them work together? thanks

Kudos: 3
Solutions: 2

@sirfragalot 

Thats not entirely true... 4.0.22 didnt entirely fix my issues, I had to use 4.0.24.  In addition, for whatever reason, older Mac Clients (circa 2011 & 2012 Macbook Airs) and Honeywell Thermostats could NOT DHCP on the network until I upgraded to 5.10.17 & 4.0.24.  There was definately something there preventing some older/cheaper WiFi chipsets from DHCPing.  I had this happen at 2 sites using same equipment, but had other sites usign the same equipment/config that had no issues.  Note that DHCP was actually "Blocked" for these devices in some cases (Tested using a non Unifi AP and the devices connected right away).  So while the WiFI experience score et al is annoying, some of us were having actual issues with some clients and DHCP.

Solutions: 2

@Fabro83 

You can use any router you want.... You just won't get the "Stats" on the unifi dashboard, or the ability to control you router via the unifi cloud key.  

But I think this DHCP problem is router independant since I have sites that were having the issue on UNIFI USG, pfSense, and Sonicwall.  Something in that firmware build was at least "Delaying" DHCP response back to the device leading some of the devices to get a local (no link) ip space.

Kudos: 5

Seeing as so many people at so many versions are having the same issue wouldnt the fix be to just ad a check box to turn OFF this feature entirely.  IM running 5.10.17 and 4.0.24 on devices.  My clients are satisfied but im at 0% experience.  If i could turn it off i wouldnt have to see it showing 0%.  Just a thought.

I agree, I think the problem is with this version. The other question it's because I would like te make it work both devices together, in other (as you said) to get the USG stats. But probably it would be very messy to do it.

[ Edited ]

I dont have a USG, no.

I have Fortigate NGFWs & Switches and Unifi APs...

I would have Fortigate APs too, but at the time (and probably still) they had no comparable products that a) perform as well and b) have the same 'wife acceptance' factor in terms of aesthetics. Smiley Tongue

I was going to go the USG and Unifi Switch path, but I get all my Fortinet kit through work and while not as pretty to look at or work with in the UI, the Fortigates are simply amazing bits of kit in terms of throughput and reliability.  Maybe if I ever have to give any of this kit back, then I will go full Unifi Smiley LOL

With regards to your question - re them working together, then sure they will "work" together, but they will never give you a single pane of glass solution like if you go 100% with one or the other.

Kudos: 1041

Based on my experience, the issue has been with IOT devices. For example my IP lights (TP-LINK, LIFX), smart appliances, iRoomba, Amazon echo dots, etc all show low or poor experience scores but function just fine.

Many of those devices keep a connection alive, but use very low power by design and this is impacting the experience score. I validated this by issuing commands to lights showing low scores.  The score changes to a high value, then drops back down again over time.

Home Network: EdgeRouter POE , USG, Unifi Switch 24-250W, Unifi Switch 8-150W (2), Unifi Switch 8 (2), Toughswitch 5POE, Unifi AC-Pro, Unifi AC-LR (2), Unifi AC-Lite, Unifi AC-IW (3), Cloud Key
Kudos: 23

@thevorlon wrote:

Based on my experience, the issue has been with IOT devices. For example my IP lights (TP-LINK, LIFX), smart appliances, iRoomba, Amazon echo dots, etc all show low or poor experience scores but function just fine.

Many of those devices keep a connection alive, but use very low power by design and this is impacting the experience score. I validated this by issuing commands to lights showing low scores.  The score changes to a high value, then drops back down again over time.

This is exatly what I am seeing. All of my Leviton switches are reported as 0% but they are online.

I have found If i keep with the latest contoller, But downgrad AP firmware to 4015.9872 Bad Wifi Experience Looks better

Kudos: 2

Hello.

I'm another one with the same problem. The weird thing is that some of that devices with "Wifi Experience = 0%" are working normaly. At least they response the ping. Another ones don't response.

I have the last firmware and controller on Cloudkey: 5.10.17-11638-1

CloudKeyController and firmware.png

I think that is not a problem for Access Point, because I have devices in the same AP with problems and other without problems.

WiFiExperience.png

I'll appreciate any suggestion.

Thanks in advance.

Kudos: 4039
Solutions: 1039

Hello @hdominguez,

Wait for new firmware... there are improvements on the latest BETA firmware.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

Having just upgraded from an older version to controller v5.10.17 I see an iPhone 5S and my Lenovo T440 (about 6 years old) with the same problem. iPad Air is fine. 

How do we we see what the error is? Using the mobile app it just says it’s 0% with no reason given. I couldn’t see where to find this in the web version either. 

I only see see this problem on my site which is on the same subnet as the controlled virtual machine.  We don’t have many customers connnected yet, but all the remote sites seem to be OK. 

We have DHCP provided by windows 2012 and neither device has any issues connecting to WiFi. Initially all three devices were showing 0% but using the reconnect link fixed the iPad. 

Firmware is is the current version version UAC Pro 4.0.21.9965

This does need a fix please. 

I just want to say that my experience as of now with Ubiqiti is horrid .   I have daily anxiety when users are connecting each morning as I am not confident that they are going to get DHCP IP's issued.  I log in to the UI daily and watch as users arrive, then nevrvously await DHCP lease assignement.  It's not a good situation at all, considering we just ripped out another vendor for this product.

The UI shows 0% user experience for users who are having an excellent experience, it is occasionally showing dhcp request IP's for users who already have valid IP's, it occasionally shows '-' for users that have IP's among other things.

To make things worse, our executives use Mac Books, and it seems these users are more prone to the issues. We are addressing the issue by assigning static IP's to these users, but have to remember to switch them back to dynamic IP's once they walk out of the building.

I haven't seen any official response to this from Ubiquiti, just lots of speculation and conjecture in forums.  Can anyone from Ubiqiti step up and confirm or deny there is an issue ?

Thanks

@derekmanning wrote:

Can anyone from Ubiqiti step up and confirm or deny there is an issue ?

I am also quite disapointed that we have not seen anyone from Ubiquiti comment on this thread.

Kudos: 68
Solutions: 5

[ Edited ]

@alexrodriguez wrote:

@derekmanning wrote:

Can anyone from Ubiqiti step up and confirm or deny there is an issue ?

I am also quite disapointed that we have not seen anyone from Ubiquiti comment on this thread.

I thought it was just a statistics/reporting issue not an actual DHCP issue? I too am showing 0% WiFi experience scores and DHCP errors however they are still getting DHCP.

Don't be surprised if UBNT doesn't comment. It's usually how they roll. The forums are a great place to interact directly with UBNT but it's at their own discretion. Usually with issues they're still working on they don't comment till they have something to say. But we all know UBNT has a different perspective on stable than most Lol I'm sure they'll have a fix soon.

@WiFiWizard wrote:

I thought it was just a statistics/reporting issue not an actual DHCP issue? I too am showing 0% WiFi experience scores and DHCP errors however they are still getting DHCP.

It is for me, I am not having the issues reported by @derekmanning and I only have Macs.

[ Edited ]

@thevorlon wrote:

I'm not really seeing the same. Of my 19 devices, these have 0% Wi-Fi Experience constantly despite working perfectly fine:

•  Chromecast
  • Cisco USB 802.11ac adapter plugged into a desktop PC (this one gets sustained transfers near 100Mbps so this is not at all a poor Wi-Fi experience!)
  • LG Smart TV
  • iPod Touch
  • iPhone 7
  • Sony wireless speaker

Others including a few smart radios, an Ecobee thermostat and some other Apple devices show 100%.

Most are low due to reported DHCP issues.

In my case, I have a UniFi router, switch, and access points but DHCP is disabled on the UniFi router and clients are (happily) getting their IP from Windows Server 2012 on the same network as the router.

Though it's not a major issue for me, it's a big deal that so many people are having so many issues with a health check metric that people may rely on to assess the health of their network. If it doesn't work then it's useless because you don't know what devices are genuinely in distress.

I also desided to upgrade to 4.0.22 on 3x AP-AC-Pro ,( my UniFi Controller = 5.10.17)

Unfortunatly 2x WiFi clients could not connect to the WiFi anymore, not at all, tried everything. (Brother printer DCP-J152W and a older DELL laptop)  After dowgrading back to 4.0.21 these 2 clients worked again without doing something extra. 

Fast roaming was disabled, as this causes issues with older devices.

Waiting for a better solution for these DHCP timeouts....

For me this has nothing to do with some statistic.

I'm not able to get an Ip-address on more than six concurrent clients connected to my AP.

They have L2-link, but the AP says DHCP timeout.

I'm not even able to set static IP-information when above six clients.

If I remove a client, another one can connect with no issue.

Pfsense (dhcp) --> Cisco C2960L --> AC Pro