Kudos: 16

Re: Unifi Controller 5.10.12 - Bad Wifi Experience?!

same issues with 5.10.20.0 Man Sad

Serious question: Is there a way we can just disable this "wifi experience" checking nonsense until it works properly?

The experience was fine until it was some sort of branding...

Kudos: 1

I have it disabled in the controller.  You can go to Clients - click on the little stack of dots next to "Uptime".  Choose Customize Columns, then uncheck WiFi Experience.

little stack.PNGexperience.PNG

Device firmware version 4.0.22 will solve this problem

Emerging Member
Kudos: 9

But DHCP connection failure is still present, even in 4.029 !!!

Please Ubitiquiti, make somthing !!

And also count a lot of 'Blocked by access control'

3.JPG

Thanks, but I'm fairly certain hiding the column won't disable the underlying feature that is causing the issues with clients being disconnected due to bugs like false detection of "high TCP latency" and dhcp issues that don't actually exist.

My experience is that the problem is in the way that the metrics are being reported and displayed, not in there actually being an underlying problem with connectivity.  I have had exactly 0 new complaints from clients about connectivity since upgrading firmware - I am simply being forcibly shown a faulty "WiFi Experience" column as eye candy, so I have chosen to turn it off. If anything, the recent firmware updates have increased stability in most of my clients, especially busy ones like hotels and motels.  Ubiquiti was too hasty in rolling out this "WiFi Experience" feature, and because the metrics it uses to gauge this rating are fickle and innacurate (especially in environments where there is no USG), technicians are frustrated at the visuals, despite there being no real problems with the client's actual WiFi Experience.

[ Edited ]

To give you an example from this morning: I have a client that uses Unifi equipment in a network that does not have a USG, and has DHCP handed out by Active Directory.  The controller periodically reports that there are several devices that are experiencing 0% WiFi Experience, with bright red lines and numbers that are designed to be alarming.  In reality, these devices are not having a bad WiFi Experience - but the controller isn't measuring something correctly (in this case, I believe it isn't able to determine that the Amazon device has successfully acquired a new IP address from the Active Directory DHCP server - so it uses this as the only metric for determining WiFi Experience quality).  This is wrong - the result of lazy programming, in my opinion, and it is unnecessarily alarming.  The device is clearly working properly - it has streamed 800 MB of video in the last 24 hours or so.  And the person who owns the device has my direct mobile number and has demonstrated a willingness in the past to call me at all hours to let me know if she's having problems streaming to her Amazon tablet.  So the network isn't the problem - in fact, the network is actually more stable since the recent updates to the firmware and controller software.  But the added column "WiFi Experience" is useless eye candy that needs to be killed until it's actually ready for enterprise release.  That's why I choose to hide the column.  The real indicator of WiFi Experience is the number of trouble tickets and phone calls I'm getting, not some poorly designed and ill-conceived eye candy.

Example.PNG

Emerging Member
Kudos: 235
Solutions: 35

[ Edited ]

Still hiding the column will not stop the controller from reporting your overall „network quality“ being only good or average due to crappy WiFi-experience. (which you could not even quickly confirm with the column hidden) 

Anyway why are you guys still on 5.10.12 with .19, .20. and even 21.-Beta are being available???

Kudos: 3
Solutions: 2

I am seeing this same issue and wondering when it will be fixed.
Kudos: 28
Solutions: 3

@networkability wrote:

I have it disabled in the controller.  You can go to Clients - click on the little stack of dots next to "Uptime".  Choose Customize Columns, then uncheck WiFi Experience.

little stack.PNGexperience.PNG

@networkability 

Another issue with unifi is that the settings don't stick. I don't care what anyone says, the GUI settings do not stick, they randomly go away.

Many, many, many times I've enabled the refresh button it stays for a day or two but then disappears (disables) itselt in the settings. Same with the What's New banner, I've diabled that notification and sure enough, it comes back.

It isn't specific to my controller/cloud key, I manage a few other cloud key's and I see the same issue on those networks. However, I can deal with a cosmetic setting not saving, I'd rather have them focus on the biggier issues they have.

Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

4/10/2019

I've just come upon my first 0%.  It's a laptop (Windows 10) that connects via wifi.

Is there anything I can do/try at this point or are we waiting for some kind of resolution from Ubiquiti on this?

Latest FW & Controller software (Cloud Key)

Kudos: 4479
Solutions: 1162

Hello @roveer,

Upgrade the controller to 5.10.21 and our UAPs to 4.0.30

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Emerging Member

@AmazedMender16 wrote:

Hello @roveer,

Upgrade the controller to 5.10.21 and our UAPs to 4.0.30

Regards,

Glenn R.

So, I don't have any update notices (update button) in unifi.  How do I do this on a cloud key?  I've never updated other than when given a button to do so. 

Hello @roveer,

SSH into the UCK and run my easy update script, you can also manually upgrade the controller on the UCK.

Do a custom upgrade on the UAPs ( use the firmware binary link location )

Devices > UAP > Config > Manage Device > Custom Upgrade

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x

@AmazedMender16 

Does the controller update and UAP update solve the issue?
More specifically, the DHCP problem?

Thanks!

Hello @getgrooven,

It does have some fixes for it yeah.

Regards,

Glennn R.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 9

Resolves DHCP problem ??? Are you sure, because I read on others topics there are the same problems with new version of controllers. Sur for that ?

Emerging Member

@AmazedMender16 wrote:

Hello @roveer,

SSH into the UCK and run my easy update script, you can also manually upgrade the controller on the UCK.

Do a custom upgrade on the UAPs ( use the firmware binary link location )

Devices > UAP > Config > Manage Device > Custom Upgrade

Regards,

Glenn R.

My cloud key is at 5.10.20  What script should I use to get it to 5.10.21?  I've done this quite a bit on my RPi controllers, but not on a cloud key.  I really don't want to brick the device.  I know how to recover on my RPi, but the UCK I don't have a lot of experience with.