Kudos: 59

Re: Unifi Controller software license?

@panthergm wrote:

I think the point @DStahl is trying to make is it is NOT your software to repackage or redistribute.

Please define repackaging and redistributing...

Since what I would supply contains no Ubiquity software I think the latter is a moot point...

Thanks,

Richard

Kudos: 921
Solutions: 40

@doktornotor

reguardless it would need to be unpacked then repacked if he is not using the beta unifi.unix.zip and even then your enabling users to use software which might have unknown issues that they are not aware of.

Ubiquiti Certified - UEWA / UCWA
Kudos: 1143
Solutions: 13

Pardon my tone But, the other thing I have noticed is multiple users have responded and yet you keep asking expecting someone to give you a blessing or the go ahead its okay to do it.  Several of us @DStahl and @Dave-D and myself have told you we dont think its a good idea.  

I can not teach you anything. I can only make you think. Please don't forget to mark posts as solutions, and to give kudos when something solves your issue.
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 16250
Solutions: 608
Contributions: 20

Hi guys,

I can't personally comment on this. What I can do is talk to the proper parties within the company and report back. I can promise you that there will be an official answer. I have an idea of what will be, but again, I can't personally make that decision.

Please don't let this thread spiral out of control.

Cheers,

Mike

Established Member
Kudos: 503
Solutions: 50

@hobbes1069: Do yourself a favour and use the DEB, you can unpack that perfectly fine and not deal with software police such as Mr. @DStahl

Incredible. Simply incredible.

Thanks @UBNT-MikeD Man Happy

I can not teach you anything. I can only make you think. Please don't forget to mark posts as solutions, and to give kudos when something solves your issue.
SuperUser
Kudos: 2017
Solutions: 28

Lurk5

UBRSS, UBWA, UEWA - Ubiquiti Certified Trainer

@UBNT-MikeD wrote:

Hi guys,

I can't personally comment on this. What I can do is talk to the proper parties within the company and report back. I can promise you that there will be an official answer. I have an idea of what will be, but again, I can't personally make that decision.

Please don't let this thread spiral out of control.

It was never intended for this to get so controversial...

I don't care to "own" any of what I've done, but it would be nice to have an RPM that supports CentOS/RHEL and Fedora whether I provide it or Ubiquity does. If there's interest in official support then I would gladly share what I've done.

Thanks,

Richard

Kudos: 34

The only question to be answered here is the one in the subject. "Hiding" a web download behind a pop-up agreement is one thing, but clearly stating under what license(s) a software is distributed is a completely different one.

And knowing what the Ubiquiti code is licensed under is what will allow to answer the question : "What are my options to help RHEL/CentOS users get the best out of their UniFi devices?" Because that's what Richard and myself are interested in, and we are both long time Fedora contributors with plenty of rpm packaging experience, ready to help Ubiquiti (hint, hint!).

Sadly, I cannot find any details about the licenses of the various components that are grouped inside the UniFi.unix.zip file. Some are 3rd party free software being bundled (tomcat, log4j, FontAwesome fonts, etc.) while others seem made by Ubiquiti (firmwares, java webapps, libubnt_webrtc_jni), but none have any accompanying copying or licensing information.

The proper way to distribute any software is to have its license mentioned in as many places as possible, such as source files' headers, LICENCE or COPYING text files, etc. even the download website and the pop-up agreement in this case. But it's all lacking here.

It's not my intention to be mean or harsh, but my personal experience with Ubiquiti has always given me mixed feelings. They seem very "open" at first, and "giving" since they focus on their hardware and provide (just about) all required software for free (as in "gratis"), but at the same time they don't seem to contribute back to the free software projects they use and don't seem overall to understand free (as in "libre") software communities much. Just Google "ubiquiti uboot" and you'll see what I mean.

Please don't get me wrong : I love Ubiquiti products. Really. And I completely agree with hardware companies making profits from their products only, without trying to milk customers out of every cent possible with extra subscriptions, software or optional features. So kudos to Ubiquiti for that.

But when a company uses lots of free (as in "libre") software and seems afraid of having competitiors/counterfeits (re)using its software, it needs to make sure the license it uses and how it's bundling everything together is clearly identified and fully compatible.

So, as I wrote in my first sentence, the only question is : "Unifi Controller software license?"

Matthias

Ubiquiti Employee

@hobbes1069@Thias & @doktornotor,

Our official statement is yes, this is allowed. We would like you to have a thread here in the community, but if you want to submit to a repo that is also okay. If you are submitting to a repo we ask that you only submit the stable version. If you are going to make a beta RPM too, please keep it as a thread in the wireless beta section only. 

Anyway, just wanted to let you know you had the greenlight to move ahead with this. Feel free to reach out either here or via PM if you have any further questions, comments, or concerns related to this. 

Cheers,

Mike

@UBNT-MikeD wrote:

@hobbes1069@Thias & @doktornotor,

Our official statement is yes, this is allowed. We would like you to have a thread here in the community, but if you want to submit to a repo that is also okay. If you are submitting to a repo we ask that you only submit the stable version. If you are going to make a beta RPM too, please keep it as a thread in the wireless beta section only. 

Anyway, just wanted to let you know you had the greenlight to move ahead with this. Feel free to reach out either here or via PM if you have any further questions, comments, or concerns related to this. 

Cheers,

Mike

Just a few points of clarification on the proposal:

1. The offer is to supply a source RPM, not a binary one. Now in reality there's not much of a difference because there's nothing to compile other than it's not practical (possible?) to download the software on the fly with a binary RPM.

2. I assume since the software is not redistributable that the downloading on the fly is required.

3. When the above two are addressed, I assume I should start a new thread with a link to my source RPM? 

Currently I have no plans to offer a source RPM for beta software. Also, it's not possible to submit to an official repository (Fedora/CentOS/EPEL/RPM Fusion) for a plethora of reasons, some of which are:

1. RPMs can not require internet access to build

2. Java programs/libraries must be compiled from source

3. Bundled libraries are very frowned upon (but not impossible to get an exception).

And the biggest one of all: No clear licensing. 

Thanks,

Richard

@UBNT-MikeD: Thanks a lot for taking the time to escalate this and give an official answer. Extra points for it being positive! Kudos++!

(It wouldn't hurt to try and ping the right people to also have some proper detailed licensing information included at some point with all software archives that Ubiquiti makes available... though I imagine that could take some time, and isn't up to you.)

@hobbes1069: Care to share your spec file and related files? Given what you wrote, I'm quite certain they're cleaner than mine, as I did mine very quickly and knowingly not conforming to the FHS and Fedora packaging guidelines in order to keep things simple (I kept a single /opt/UniFi location for convenience). Here are mine : http://git.marmotte.net/git/rpms/tree/redhat/7Server/unifi-controller

Ubiquiti Employee

[ Edited ]

You're welcome!

Thias wrote: It wouldn't hurt to try and ping the right people to also have some proper detailed licensing information included at some point with all software archives that Ubiquiti makes available... though I imagine that could take some time, and isn't up to you.

Good point. Yeah, I'll definitely bring this up. 

Cheers,

Mike

Since this thread was about the licensing, I have created a new thread as requested : http://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Unofficial-RHEL-CentOS-UniFi-Controller-rpm-packages/td-...

@hobbes1069: Please post your files there, so that we can merge details and get the nicest possible package out of it!

Matthias

I'm still doing some final massaging to try and get it to support RHEL/CentOS 6 but it's quickly getting frustrating. 

Thanks,

Richard

Thanks for effort! 😊

The EL 6 package now builds but is not quite right yet... but I have now posted links and instructions to the above thread.

Thanks,

Richard