Kudos: 1

Unifi UAP-AC-LR and HIKvision wireless cameras

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

Recently have implemented 6 wireless HIKvision cameras spread out across 3 UAP-AC-LR access points. After experiencing very poor performance and verifying that it is not due to signal strength I started researching other known issues. I came across this post https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Going-crazy-Unifi-and-HIKvision-wireless-cameras/m-p/19...

I am experiencing exactly the same problem as described in the above post. 

Cameras I have deployed are a mix of the two below:

http://www.hikvision.com.au/Products_accessries_760_i33396.html

http://www.hikvision.com.au/Products_accessries_760_i33402.html

I have updated firmware on the cameras and also running latest unifi controller 5.5.20.

When i change the connectivity so that I block all cameras on the AP except for one, I am able to gain good performance without any connectivity issues. Immediately after unblocking the second camera and it connecting to the AP, the latency spikes for both cameras and I can see on the AP that the 2.4GHz radio utilization goes from 18 - 23% up to 79%. At the same time the two clients TX rate on the AP shows at 39Mbps for one and 13Mbps for the other. 

As soon as I block all but one camera the performance stabilizes. 

I have tested the cameras using alternative access points and I am not experiencing the same issues so I know that the 2.4GHz AP radio on a Dlink DWL-8600AP can handle 3 cameras without a problem.

I have spent 5+ hours trying different settings for the bitrate, framerate and video quality but nothing I do will stablize the cameras on the UniFi system.

As I have found reference to atleast one other person with the same issues I can only draw the conclusion that I am dealing with a compatibility issue between HIKvision camera radio and the UniFi AP.

Hopefully someone can make my day!

Kind Regards,

Marc

B2AP1.png
Kudos: 737
Solutions: 263

Re: Unifi UAP-AC-LR and HIKvision wireless cameras

What format is the camera's sending video? Can the camera's connect on 5g?

I would assume the consumer dlink is using 40width on 2.4 and you are probably using 20width on unifi. That would probably help a little bit if you changed that. But you should remember that WIFI is simplex meaning only 1 device can talk at one time. So with more devices your going to get more latency.

Hello

Cameras only have a 2.4GHz radio and video encoding is H.264

I have tried adjusting the resolution, bitrate, video quality, frame rate and interval. I find if I lower the settings it does seem to make a small difference but still very poor performance with 2 joined to the AP compared to one.

The Dlink AP we are using is not in the "consumer range" it is apart of their unified wireless system for enterprise. I will check on the channel width. 

Understand the nature of WiFi and hence why we limited the deployment to 3 cameras max per AP with no other SSID's or client connections. Even disabled 5GHz radio.

I am in tune with the latency increase and can see the scale with our other wireless networks that get busy, however with the simple testing that we have done, for the camera to be responding at  2-4ms constant and then as soon as the second/third camera joins the network the latency goes upwards of 1000ms. It is not following our normal scale. 

I will change the channel width in the next hour and report back the findings. 

Thanks 

Oh, your only doing 3 to a ap? Channel width should not make a difference on that. This sounds like a WMM issue. Disable WMM and see if it helps.

[ Edited ]

This is old but may still be applicable:

You have to create the file named config.properties inside the folder of that particular site. See instructions on how to do this in this KB article.

The particular entry you need should be similar to this(if you want to disable WMM globally, on that site):

config.system_cfg.1=wireless.1.wmm=disabled

Be aware that this should be done on a per SSID basis, and each SSID is s different "wireless". You can take a look at the whole configuration to figure out which configuration belongs to which SSID on the file /tmp/running.cfg

Remember that after creating the config.properties file, you have to force a reprovision on the affected APs. You can do that by enabling then disabling the guest portal, for  example.

The above instructions are curteousy of @R4V3R Original thread

Brilliant, thanks - I will give it a go 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 7
Solutions: 1

@UBNT-APieper @UBNT-Cody

Guys, can you please confirm if this is a known issue?

It particularly happens with hikVision cameras. Works fine with Unifi cameras.

How could it be a "known" issue? This is the second thread about the issue and it revolves around two specific sets of hardware.

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

I had some issues with using the config.properties file to disable wmm. It just added it as a new line to the AP system.cfg so i used SSH and vi to edit system.cfg on one of the AP's directly and I checked running.cfg once it had rebooted after saving and it shows as per attached screen shot, wmm=disabled. 

The problem is still present with the two cameras connected to this access point, also image attached. Notice how in the ping replies the IP 192.168.0.128 has slightly better response, this is the closer of the two cameras to the access point. Also these cameras video settings have been adjusted to 720P at 15fps and a medium video quality. (192.168.0.127 and 192.168.0.128). As a comparison to one that has not been adjusted, I added another screenshot of 192.168.0.12 running at 1080p 25fps and higher quality video.

I am also integrating with post sales support at our distributor and they will also assist to feed this back to Ubiquiti for further input. I discussed with the contact earlier today the troubleshooting methodology that I have gone through before reaching out to the community. 

Some further comparisons have been done using UAP-AC-PRO and a RocketM2 with omni antenna. In basic terms, we have the same bad performance using UAP-AC-PRO but no issues with the RocketM2 and the M2 can handle a stream at 1080p 25fps no drops and stable response. 

This is a deeper level issue than WMM and we cant replicate the problem on other wireless systems apart from UniFi and across the following models specifically UAP-AC-LR, UAP-LR, UAP and UAP-AC-PRO.

Probably need to ask for the UBNT guys to get involved in this. I am fairly certain we are looking at a wierd compatibility issue here and not going to move forward fast without this being flagged as an issue with UniFi gear.

Cheers

APstatus.png
networkperf.png
wmm=disabled.png
camera1080p.png

Wow, thats bad. Paging @UBNT-APieper @UBNT-Cody @ubnt

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 598
Solutions: 37
Contributions: 1

So far as I know there are no known issues. It occurs on all cameras right? There are no cases where it works properly other than when you have one device? Happy to help figure this out. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

Ubiquiti Employee

[ Edited ]

Can you enable debug logs and share any logging from the APs?  https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204959834-UniFi-What-log-files-exist-and-where-can-I-view-th...

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Ubiquiti Employee

Also, can you try switching 2.4GHz channel to HT20 channel width and see if that improves the behavior?

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Hi,

I have tried channel width adjustment with no result. 

This problem occurrs to the HIKvision cameras we are testing, I have included detail as to the model in above posts. I have ordered spares now at our office which I am testing this with independant to the equipment installed onsite to eliminate possible environmental facors. I can replicate the issue in our office using a new set of equipment with factory default configuration.

With one camera connected, no issues, I can see via ping replies when the second camera is connecting to the nework we start getting packet loss. Once the camera is connected to the network we have bad latency and packet loss across both cameras until one is disconnected and then it will stabilize. If I join 3 cameras the performance gets worse where I will loose connectivity for half a minute at a time to each device and then a few replies and then loss of connection again. To resolve in the case of 3 cameras online, I need to block two of them in UniFi in order to regain connectivity. 

In no case have I been able to get this working. I have been adjusting either camera video quality or the settings in UniFi for channel, power, WMM etc (pretty much anything I could adjust has been tried).

I will collect logs today and upload them.

As I mentioned that I tried this with a different device (M2Rocket) without an issue and other vendors wireless systems like Dlink and they perform great even with 3 (or more) cameras to an AP. I cross checked configurations like channel width, channel selection, output power etc between the Dlink system and UniFi, there was nothing different that I can see to cause this. 

Established Member
Kudos: 258
Solutions: 35

[ Edited ]

UBNT-APieper wrote:

Also, can you try switching 2.4GHz channel to HT20 channel width and see if that improves the behavior?

And get off channel 9 !

@UBNT-APieper , I really wish that only channels 1-6-11 are available until the user enabled advanced settings, and then give them a warning not to select any other channel.

Thanks for that JimBob, have tried 1, 6, 11 and all around inbetween to troubleshoot this issue!..

All behave the same. It is back at 11 now.

Have tried HT20 or 40 no difference. 

Tried different power output on AP, no difference 

Tried the same channels, channel width and power output on a dlink system. I was not able to generate an issue.

Will post AP logs once I get the chance to retrieve them in another 4 - 5 hours time. 

Cheers 

Ubiquiti Employee

@marcvz Thanks for the info. Not sure if I missed this- but how many APs do you have deployed on this site?

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png