Kudos: 162
Solutions: 10
Accepted Solution

Unifi as managed customer router. Possible?

[ Edited ]

We've been having a ton of issues with people and their routers lately. It seems like everything needs a firmware update, or reboot, or whatever and I'm constantly wasting time on the phone dealing with this issue. 

I'm wondering.... If I put the Unifi software on my main server and assigned customers a UAP as their home premise router. Would I be able to manage them all, the same way I would manage a single location with many AP's? 

We run a flat /24 network with one mikrotik router at our headend. Each 172.x represents a geographical area of our network. Assuming that I would just need to set up a Vlan for each 172.x network in the Unifi controller much the same way as AC2? 

Is anyone currently doing this? Any suggestions? 

I don't imagine that it will be that difficult, just looking to get some insight before I try and roll it out.

Accepted Solutions
Established Member
Kudos: 210
Solutions: 30

Re: Unifi as managed customer router. Possible?

[ Edited ]

UAP's are not routers.

I don't know your network topology, sorry.

For example:

Router is 192.168.0.1

Your main server running the controller software is 192.168.0.2

In the router forward the ports I mentioned to 192.168.0.2

The routers static public wan/internet IP address is 55.55.55.55

In the UniFi devices: set-inform http://55.55.55.55:8080/inform

Done!

-Jamie M.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Established Member

OvrMyHed wrote: I'm wondering.... If I put the Unifi software on my main server and assigned customers a UAP as their home premise router. Would I be able to manage them all, the same way I would manage a single location with many AP's? 

You mean a USG not UAP?

If you have a public static IP address on the main server router and forward TCP: 8080, 8443, 8843, 8880 and UDP 3478 to the main server then yep, you can manage ANY UniFi devices for your customers (switches, routers, access points). You can do it with a dynamatic ip address too (for example for free with dnsexit or no-ip).

You could also just get an online VPS for less than $2/mo, works great.

Use the: set-inform http://public.ip.of.controller:8080/inform for the UniFi devices and when the customers connect them at their houses it'll automatically connect to your public controller.

If a customer wants to manage their own devices you can make them a "site" on the controller, put all their devices in that site and "invite" them to it (as read only or admin).

cloud_vps_unifi_controller.png

-Jamie M.

Kudos: 162
Solutions: 10

No I meant UAP as in Unifi Access Point, as in I want to replace netgear routers with unifi ap's

Right now only a few customes with security systems use public Ip's

Your post is a bit confusing to me. 

Right now the way we have our network setup

CPE Nano is set with Static IP
CPE router get's a DHCP address through our VISP authentication server running on the Mikrotik

All of the equipment is on the same /24 private network so why would I need to forward to a public address? 

My server/controller address is 172.26.0.1. So are you saying I would just need to forward TCP and UDP ports from 172.17.0.100 to 26.0.1 in order to manage them in the controller? 

Or when I set up the CPE unifi I should put the set Inform host as the 26.0.1 IP?

Established Member

[ Edited ]

UAP's are not routers.

I don't know your network topology, sorry.

For example:

Router is 192.168.0.1

Your main server running the controller software is 192.168.0.2

In the router forward the ports I mentioned to 192.168.0.2

The routers static public wan/internet IP address is 55.55.55.55

In the UniFi devices: set-inform http://55.55.55.55:8080/inform

Done!

-Jamie M.