Scheduled maintenance: Community will be offline Monday June 17th, 1:00 AM - 6:00 AM (PT)
Established Member
Kudos: 266
Solutions: 28
Accepted Solution

Unifi mesh - maximum number of up/down links?

[ Edited ]
What's the maximum number of links possible in the mesh? I'm curious because I'd like to know if there is any loss that may be expected from each up/down link? For example, if there is a master and 4 links down, will the same amount of bandwidth be available and if not, let's assume the RSSI is a steady -60 across all links, is there any expected loss down the chain? I would like to know if that can be calculated. Thanks.
MCSE, MCSD, pAA, dCAP, SONUS, ECE
CCNA, CCNAW, CCNARS, CCNP, CCNPDC, CCIESP
Megaphat Networks, Long Island, New York, USA

Accepted Solutions
Established Member

Re: Unifi mesh - maximum number of up/down links?

I found most of my answers.
Max 4 mesh points after the Root node.
Backhaul uplink bandwidth could consume up 50% for each hop.
Total could be 25% per four up to 100% total uplink backhaul.
RSSI strength could be a factor in affecting.

The next and only question is, what would be the minimum RSSI for optimal throughput? is there a general rule applied or the same based on standards?

View solution in original post

All Replies
Established Member

I found most of my answers.
Max 4 mesh points after the Root node.
Backhaul uplink bandwidth could consume up 50% for each hop.
Total could be 25% per four up to 100% total uplink backhaul.
RSSI strength could be a factor in affecting.

The next and only question is, what would be the minimum RSSI for optimal throughput? is there a general rule applied or the same based on standards?
Highlighted
Kudos: 227
Solutions: 76

Here are some of my numbers, doesn't lock down the answer but might help create a range if anyone else chimes in.

To Start: I have 5 UAP-AC-M, 1 is called NODE and has no other clients besides the APs (its only to serve the remainder with wireless links). 3 APs wireless downlink from NODE (West, Center, South), and the 4th AP (East) downlinks from South.

NODE AP - wired to the USG, with a 60 Mbps download ISP plan. I see the 60mbs when connected to the NODE AP via wireless AC-laptop.

NODE AP to SOUTH. South is showing -54 (89% link rate is 300 Mbps), and when I connect with my laptop to SOUTH I am still able to get the 60mbs download.

SOUTH has a wireless DOWNLINK to EAST. East shows its connection to SOUTH as -62 (69%) and when connected to SOUTH with my laptop I see between 30-40 mbs download.  East is reporting its wireless link rate at 162 Mbps (I would ASSume this is the link between SOUTH-EAST only and nothing to do with this being the 2nd hop).  So there is a loss of approx 20 - 30 mbs here. I can't tell you if the loss in this case is caused by the 2nd hop or the lower signal. 

Another AP I have (West) connects wireless to NODE show -57 (82% and 300 Mbps link), and I'm able to get 60mbs download on it.

the TLDR; version .. at -57 its showing full link rate(300Mbps), at -62 its reduced link rate (162 Mbps)