Unifi signal strength relative to consumer gear

I'm looking to replace an ASUS R7000 in use on my home network.

To get my head in the right place, does anyone have a rough idea of how different Unify APs would compare to this in terms of their wireless coverage?

What would be most similar to the ASUS as a standalone AP between Lite, LR, Pro?

This info will help me determine whether to try to go with a single one of them, or some combination around the house.

Kudos: 405
Solutions: 108

Re: Unifi signal strength relative to consumer gear

EIRP value (range) typically will be the same as it is controlled by the local regulation. I assume the device is 3x3. If you want performance increase then any AP that capable of 4x4 will provide you with better wireless experience. If you want a range increase then you need to get two APs. 

Thanks,
Myky
CWNA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don`t blame the device as it`s always doing what you have asked it to do, this is not always the same as what you want.
Kudos: 4494
Solutions: 1167

Hello @v738,

Welcome to the community!

How big is your building and where are you going to place the UAP?

Regards,
Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Kudos: 219
Solutions: 75

One thing to keep in mind, not everything is about the base station. Wireless requires two way communication and your client devices aren't going to be octoantenna spider space aliens. In my case I found I had a better over all experience in my home with three actually lites spread across rather than my one Asus 5300ac located in the center of my house.

[ Edited ]

Thanks all.

Fair point about the other non-base station devices. I had read that the LR has more sensitive receive antennas and can help out end user devices a bit that way. But are the differences within the UniFi line (and between Unifi and consumer gear) more about reliability, simultaneous connections, etc than standalone range? (and by range I mean devices getting X throughput at Y distance most days)

House is a skinny 2.5-storey 1,700 sq ft in urban centre. Consumer router currentky in unfinished basement because reasons (obviously bad placement for wireless coverage), but I would place unifi AP on main floor.

Floor plan attached, showing proposed AP location on main floor. Think a Lite or Pro would cover me ok with just that one? Or should I do it with 2x Lites, one on the second floor? These are kind of my only placement options (I have existing routes I can use from basement to these locations; opening up walls isn't something I want to get into; maybe through forced air HVAC ducts, but none of that goes to the loft unfortunately).

Ubiquiti Layout.gif

Hello @v738,

I would place 2 UAP AC Lites on the second main floor. ( kitchen and living room )

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x

Thanks @AmazedMender16 !

I think that would be doable cause I can run cable in the unfinished basement. I wouldn't be able to go up and mount in main floor ceiling though; I could probably come up through the floor and then mount low on the walls, or alternatively place it on e.g. a side table. What would the best orientation be? Sitting flat on a side table facing upward to hit the upper floors best? Or would it not make a big difference vs aiming them Eeast/West or toward the middle of the house?

Hello @v738,

You could consider the UAP AC IW ( PRO ) or UAP IW HD units.

Regards,

Glenn R.