Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Unifi ssh password and other considerations

I am having trouble getting to SSH into the Unifi LR-AP device. I have tried "ubnt" and the password I use for the unifi controller on my PC. Any other suggestions?

I really love the Unifi AP design (looks like a flying saucer or disk), the power over ethernet (so I dont have to find power at remote mounting locations), and the price point. But, I really dont like the Unifi management controller! I understand it is designed for management of large property where many dozens of these APs would be deployed. But, I do small installations with only a few devices in very simple configurations (no guest mode for example). It would be way easier for a lot of reasons to just plug in the IP address of the device than to configure each one with one a designated PC running the Unifi controller. Another thing is that I run Mint linux. I think its great to have Linux support at all but I wonder why it isnt just included on the installation CD (for win/mac only)? I have had to revisit the installation instructions numerous times for various reasons. Its also a total pain when for example my computer running the controller dies and I can no longer control or get to the APs. I have tried to adopt using another PC but its very tricky. The devices need to be physically reset and even then it was an experience fraught with many trials. I really wish I could flash my own firmware for these reasons.
Screenshot from 2013-02-03 22:07:48.png
Kudos: 32
Solutions: 2

Re: Unifi ssh password and other considerations

Use the controller Username and Password
What I need is an exact list of specific unknown problems we might encounter.
Kudos: 1316
Solutions: 31

You are trying to use UniFi for something it wasn't designed.
If you are just setting up AP's for clients in the houses, etc, set up an Amazon AWS controller and set all your installations to that controller - that way you can even sell a managed/monitored service and charge a monthly fee for it!
TicoBytes.com | www.ticobytes.com
Ubiquiti Solutions and English / Spanish IT Support in Costa Rica
UBRSS, UBWA, UEWA - Ubiquiti Certified Trainer

Yeah the amazon management thing is pretty cool but my clients typically dont want to pay more for such services. Afterall what do I really need to manage once I get these things configured? Really unless one of the radios dies a premature death, all I could imagine wanting to do is change a password. I could set up a cheap linksys router on a static IP and get in to it and change the password. I really just wish there was support for other firmware or the Ubiquiti would enable other management schemes that do not have to be hosted by a designated PC..
SuperUser
Kudos: 7762
Solutions: 233

Maybe you should be installing airrouters or something similar. The whole point of unifi is centralized management.
:: sent from my phone

isp builder | linux sorcerer | datacenter automation conjurer | blog: blog.engineered.online
link to our slack channel on the blog
Established Member
Kudos: 216
Solutions: 19

Maybe you should be installing airrouters or something similar. The whole point of unifi is centralized management.

:: sent from my phone

yeah, what he said.

Use the controller Username and Password

I would use the username but it doesnt prompt for it, just the password. See the screenshot.
SuperUser

I would use the username but it doesnt prompt for it, just the password. See the screenshot.

*sigh*

ssh username@ip.address.goes.here

man ssh

isp builder | linux sorcerer | datacenter automation conjurer | blog: blog.engineered.online

Fair enough. I have installed many Air Routers and APN's as well, but they lack the PoE feature which is so nice and they dont look as cool in a commerical environment. They look rather residential. Honestly, I dont think I am the first person to have this issue with the Unifi controller and limitations with getting to devices. It seems like Ubiquiti could enable the option to control via the UNifi controller software or just flash AirOS to the devices...
SuperUser

Fair enough. I have installed many Air Routers and APN's as well, but they lack the PoE feature which is so nice and they dont look as cool in a commerical environment. They look rather residential. Honestly, I dont think I am the first person to have this issue with the Unifi controller and limitations with getting to devices. It seems like Ubiquiti could enable the option to control via the UNifi controller software or just flash AirOS to the devices...

Okay, so the only reason you used the unifi devices was form factor?

.... really?

www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10521&cs_id=1052102&p_id=8744&seq=1&format=2

Have fun.

so I tried that as you indicated with the user name @ . It prompts for the password. I enter the only two passwords I know. One is the password I used for the Unifi controller and the other is the default "ubnt". Neither of these passwords work. I am not doing something right. Very frustrating.

Thanks for the link! Aside from being an unknown generic brand, that AP looks pretty decent. I will order have to order a couple to try out. Yeah, I should probably just accept that Unifi isnt the solution I need for my business.
Established Member
Kudos: 119
Solutions: 1

You can flash AirOS onto Unifi units FYI. Search the AirMax forum.
s
Kudos: 1316
Solutions: 31

I still like putting client's APs on a controller, because it allows me to bill tech support hours w/o ever leaving my house/office...

The average "tech support" guy won't have a clue how to configure an "enterprise-grade AP", which means you're going to be the one to call by default when they want to change something, even if it's just the SSID, or they forgot the password. This ensures you WILL have work again sooner or later from them...

When I mentioned them paying a monthly fee - the way I like to sell it is that this way you can monitor their AP remotely and if something seems off, you can click restart. If you couple this with a RB750UP, you can remotely powercycle the AP if something were to hang. This might not sound appealing to the average person, but I deal with a lot of rental home owners, and the possibility for them to send me an email asking for a new passcode for the AP and being able to reset it from them w/o disturbing the guests is a huge plus, and takes away the whole "the guest reset my router" issue as well! Another part of the monitoring is that you usually find out that something is wrong w/ the AP before they do (via an email alert)...

Just make sure the client knows you have their APs talking back up to the controller so they aren't surprised and think you are spying on them.
TicoBytes.com | www.ticobytes.com
Ubiquiti Solutions and English / Spanish IT Support in Costa Rica
UBRSS, UBWA, UEWA - Ubiquiti Certified Trainer
Kudos: 59
Solutions: 8

I wanted to mention, what I do in the instances that you mention (small business, needs 1 or 2 APs) I have the unifi controller installed on my laptop.  The clients know how to restart the wireless.  If there is a configuration change, I perform it from my laptop.  I can do this with multiple clients by creating a backup of the current settings, which I keep a copy of on my server in the office, and on my laptop.  I keep the credentials generic (admin/admin) and I can always get to all of my APs.  Note, this is only for the small installations where the client doesn't have a server (either a real server or a "master" peer computer).

I run a UAP-LR at my home this way, and a couple of other homes who needed the additional strength on the radio.  Not what Unifi was intended for, but the LR has worked perfectly in these scenarios.  

Just my two cents.

Rob

Previous Employee
Kudos: 220
Solutions: 39
Contributions: 11

In v3, goto "Settings" panel > "Site" > "Device Password" to see the login username and password for the APs in this site.  You can also change it to something you like.

Kudos: 1

The reason this is not working for you is becuase of two things. 

1. You are not using ssh correctly to specify the username. ie., ssh username@-ip-of-device

2. Once you have added the device to a controller the defualt ubnt username is disabled for obviouse security reasons. So in order to ssh to the device you will need to specify an admin user account and password from the controller to ssh to the device. 

ssh controller-admin-user@ip-of-device

Password: controller-admin-user-password

[I realize this post is old, but didn't see anyone actually answered this clearly.]