Unify controller on server causes Windows Server 2012 R2 to crash

Good day,

I have an odd situation which causes my Windows 2012 R2 Std. server to come to a complete halt and crash which then reboots the server.

What could cause this server to suddenly slow down to a severe state and then crash? Anything I can do?

Established Member
Kudos: 327
Solutions: 4

Re: Unify controller on server causes Windows Server 2012 R2 to crash

[ Edited ]

What version of the controller are you using? If it reboots after the crash there should be a memory dump. Did you analyze that? What errors are in your eventlogs? 

SuperUser
Kudos: 5860
Solutions: 385

I doubt the Unifi controller is the root cause of the problem - more thank likely a symptom.

If you are getting a blue screen crash that is more often than not caused by a hardware problem of some sort.  As @rvansoest said there should be a memory dump that should be useful for trying to see what piece of hardware is cuasing the problem.  I'd wager it's your RAM - it usually is.  It could also be your network card - if the Unifi controller software causes more network activity then normal that could push a boarderline driver issue "over the edge". 

Start with the basics - make sure your BIOS is up to date and the latest.  Firmware on all cards (storage, networking, etc.) are up to date.  Make sure your system chipset drivers are up to date.  Make sure your network card drivers are up to date.  Make sure your video card drivers are up to date.    

Is the Java that Unifi relies on up to date?

Oh, another one that causes all kinds of problems - do you have antivirus on your server?  Does it have real time scanning?  If so, be sure to exclude the Unifi controller folder from it.   Heavy database writes can really cause real time antivirus scanners to go nuts/develop memory leak problems.  Any other security software?   

Speaking of disk, how old are they?  Have you looked at the SMART stats lately?  Perhaps a file related to the Unifi controller is in a bad block on your hard drive

That's all standard stuff.  Start with the fundamentals and work your way up.  Basic troubleshooting Man Happy

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!

Having wifi problems? Take a look here first: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP
Highlighted

I have a similar issue. I'm using an old laptop on Windows 2012 R2 Std as a Domain controller. It used to be stable and I found it was the proper location to put the Unify controller on.

Then the server has begun to freeze. It's not really crashed but it becomes unresponsive through the network and locally (black screen but with the mouse cursor still being movable with the mouse... like the explorer has crashed. Not pingable anymore though).

When the Unify controller doesn't run, the server is working properly. As soon as the Unify controller is running, the server freeze after a few days.

Unify controller version is 5.5.11. Same issue previously with 5.4.11.

But I agrees with EricE. It's not necessarily a problem with the Unify software but maybe more some kind of cumulative issues with aggravated conditions.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one however. Man Wink