Kudos: 59

Re: Unofficial RHEL/CentOS UniFi Controller rpm packages

Buy a used on on ebay? Smiley Wink

Thanks,

Richard

Kudos: 2

@pembo13 You're not wrong.  They're clearly interested in devving against ubuntu only.  My CentOS server apache does more than just serve up unifi, so I have some proxypass rules and stuff set up to handle it seamlessly.  It would would be a little more convoluted(but still doable) if I had it running in a container, VM or a cloud-key.  Managing the letsencrypt cert would be a little more complicated as well, but still doable.

I'm considering just firing up a small virtualbox VM with Ubuntu on the same machine and doing it that way.  It sucks, but if ubiquiti isn't going to support RHEL, I'm not sure I want to have to keep playing this cat and mouse game. The container route presents its own unique challenges, but I think I'd almost rather roll my own then depend on someone else for it.  At least with a VM I'm just upgrading the unifi package, rather than revving a whole container on every release. I kind of hate docker too.

That's not to poo-poo any of the excellent work being done maintaining these RPM's, but linking dependency incompatibilites like glibc are a major pain to work around, and honestly I'm not sure where to go from here.  If I have to install a new OS to make this work, I'm going to do something dedicated to running this controller, be it a VM or a cloud key using a supported OS, as much as it sucks that ubiquiti is completely ignoring a HUGE installed base. 

Kudos: 1

I noticed they have a version 2 cloud key -- which leads me to believe that the v1 hardware is now underpowered. Probably not the best idea *(futureproofing wise) to buy on eBay.

I was considering the containers myself (longterm) but if I understand you correctly, the containers aren't directly supported by Ubnt either?

@pembo13 I think the biggest thing that the V2 gives you (aside from the camera support stuff that I'll never use) is the battery backup that gracefully shuts the thing down after a power loss.  I run all of my junk on UPS's, but it's still a nice feature.  They did bump the CPU/ram, but I think the battery backup giving it less of a chance to corrupt itself is the big win with that one. 

@pembo13 I didn't mean to imply that containers weren't supported by them, although that might certainly be the case.  RHEL is certainly not something they support.  I meant to say that I've seen many projects burned by offering containers that were doing nasty things like opening backdoors, etc.  Not to mention a lot of the docker escape to root problems as of late. I'm a curmudgeon and containers are not something I really trust fully.  You youngin's can have your fancy docker, I'll stick to VM's (Even though I know there are issues there as well, but they're more easily mitigated IMO).

Another irony is that CentOS 8 will come with the ability to use moduels which will let you build packages with different versions/configurations of packages than what's shipped standard, but it should have a newer glibc so I won't need that capability (initially).

Thanks,

Richard

@m0ondoggy fair point. I haven't caught up, experience wise, with containers yet. But I supposed I rather share CPU cycles for the container than an entire VM. Shame all this complication.we have to go through.

Long time Red Hat user here. Also considering a VM to get around the issues as I am unsure if RHEL will upgrade dependancies anytime soon. Quite a hassle.

Redhat's EOL information is hard to understand (multiple EOLs / extended maintenance windows) but it looks like RHEL 7 will be EOL in 2020 so I wouldn't bet on getting a new glibc because just about everything on it uses it. RHEL 8 is in beta now which is roughly based on Fedora 28 I think. 

Between competition and modularity I'm hoping they are going to be more aggressive in updating versions. 

Thanks,

Richard

With RHEL they do not upgrade major components, only backport security fixes.  Glibc is a major component, so 99% sure it will not be upgraded for RHEL 7.  You might be able to do something with Docker, but in general on RHEL you just use whatever version of software works on it for the life of that major version.

Highlighted

Just an FYI but the new MongoDB license has been deemed non-free. I don't want to get into the details here but the net effect is that MongoDB will be removed from Fedora 30...

so... Can't use 5.10.x with CentOS because of the glibc version requirement and won't be able to use Fedora 30 since it won't have MongoDB. 

Hopefully the problem will be addressed in the next version of the license.

Here's one viewpoint on the issue:

https://www.scylladb.com/2018/10/22/the-dark-side-of-mongodbs-new-license/

Thanks,

Richard

I finally setttled on a solution.  I set up a raspberry pi and moved my controller to that.  It's plugged into the UPS that one of my servers uses.  I would liked to have continued using the rpm on centos, but I think this solution fits the bill.  It was cheap and it means I can still access the controller even if the server fails.  

So far so good.  Was kinda fun too.