Scheduled maintenance: Community will be offline Monday June 17th, 1:00 AM - 6:00 AM (PT)
Kudos: 6

Unusual Bug - AP's Constantly Re-Provision

Greetings, I've reported an issue a while back with my APs where they constantly enter a state of re-provisioning.

The only firmware that doesn't do this to me is the 3.9.27.8537, anything later than that (including latest beta's) give me the same issue. The controller version is:

• Build atag_5.9.29_11384

My old UAP doesn't give any issues, but these:

ModelUniFi AP-AC-In Wall Pro
Version3.9.27.8537
Board Revision5

ModelUniFi AP-AC-Pro
Version3.9.27.8537
Board Revision26

If I do uphgrade the firmware version, constantly enter a reboot process. We've tried several things & I even had a couple of mods contactme through inbox but there hasn't been any follow ups.

Thanks!
A1.PNG
A2.png
Kudos: 1

Re: Unusual Bug - AP's Constantly Re-Provision

I currently have the same issue.  With the same AC-AP-Pro models.  None of my other waps have this issue.  I remotely manage multiple sites from this controller and only the one that is local to my controller which is running Pro model has the issues.  I was given the same forum post which is the one about NTP and not using auto for channels.  Neither of these changes have made a difference.  

I have disabled all advanced feature set and turned off everything except the basic settings and still same issue persist.

Established Member
Kudos: 253
Solutions: 90

[ Edited ]

If you're using controller hostname that uses a load balancer or round-robin DNS (or maybe even having both IPv4 and IPv6 A-records in the DNS), then it will trigger the APs to see a new controller address and re-provision.
As far as I know, 3.9.27 was the last that didn't started re-provisioning.

Kudos: 1

Thanks Flamber,

I did downgrade my AP-Pro's to 3.9.27 and the issue seems to have gone away.  Due to this I also sent this post to my open case with Ubiquiti support.

My network is setup behind a Sonicwall Appliance.  It is setup with Loadbalancing only for Failover purposes for redundancy.  Inside of my network DNS is controlled by my Domain Controller which everything points to and then it is set to forward.  I have a record for DNS to my unifi controller since it is internal but is Natd to its public FQDN which has a SSL cert applied to.  

My main question is why does this firmware seem to have issues with what I would consider a normal business network setup?  What is really the problem with the firmware I wonder?

Established Member

@cdoucet@bluetidecomm.com
My guess would be that the logic was changed, so it forces a new provision, when the address changes. It should probably only do a forced provision, if the controller configuration hash is different from the device.
Currently there can only be one controller managing a device, but having multiple internet connections is common practice and the devices should be able to handle that.
Please update here, when you get a resolution from support.
Kudos: 6

In One office I manage, there isn't any redundancy, the AirFiber from the ISP is really stable, there's only a UAP IW Pro, I have the same issue, but less constant.

I don't believe this is Dual WAN dependent. Also, some setups have EdgeRouter and some a USG, but the only devices affected are those who are providing Wireless Access.

Established Member

@bvega92

I'm not sure how USG handles things, since it's very different firmware than UAP, but AirMax and EdgeMax does not use the Unifi Controller.

If your controller is hosted online, where you might have load balancing or DNS round-robin, then this will cause the UAP to see different IPs at different times, which will then cause a provisioning. This might even be an issue if you have A and AAAA records, but I haven't tested that.

I would say that this is a bug in the newer firmwares and the UAP should only re-provision if the configuration hash it receives from the controller is different from what it already has. If there were a hash-match, then this would also solve the problem, where UAPs are re-provisioned, when the controller restarts.

I'm also seeing re-provisioning when you de/activate "Advanced Features" on the controller, but since I haven't changed any of those advanced settings, then it shouldn't cause a re-provision yet.