Scheduled maintenance: Community available only in read-only mode until 6:00 AM (PT)
Emerging Member
Kudos: 24

Unusual meshing and setup

Hello All.

I have a unusual setup in that I have two large metal containers. On the outside of each is a UAP-AC-M and that is cabled to a 8 port Unifi POE switch on the inside where there is one other UAP-AC-PRO. The idea is that the outside AP brings the service into the container via a cable and its relayed to the a number of workers inside the container.

both these setups are identical and connect to a third container nearby which has a UAP-AC-M on the outside cabled to a firewall serving internet. The controller is in the cloud.

Initially and before installation all five UAP's where wired to a switch and then adopted by the cloud controller.

Before we install them, Am I right in thinking all I need do is to enable connectivity monitor and wireless uplink on the controller and the three UAP-AC-M's will find each other and build the mesh?

I've read that I also need to allow meshing to another access point but some posts say this is only done on UAP's not wirelessly connected, some others say it isnt nessasary, I'm a bit confused as to the intended use of this feature and in my setup which AP's if any need this turned on.

I'll try and draw this with characters, where ))) is wireless transmission and X are the internal AP's and XY are the external AP's F is the firewall I is the internet.

X---//---XY )))    ((( XY---//---X

((( XY---//---F---I

Kudos: 4870
Solutions: 1289

Re: Unusual meshing and setup

Hello @stevebird,

You can use UAPs for this, they will have to be in the 5GHz range of eachother tho.

The Uplink Connectivity Monitor needs to be enabled in order to setup wireless uplinks. ( they also need to be adopted to the same controller )

Do you have a clean line of sight between the containers?

If so you might want to look into AirMAX devices and use a PtMP setup.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Emerging Member

HI, thanks for the speedy reply.

They kinda will and then will not be line of sight. they are dropped into place and their electric connected and expected to work with minimum fuss, hense I thought this might be a solution to getting some basic networking between the two boxes and the cabinet on site. Sometimes there might even be a forth or fifth container in place.

Does "Allow Meshing to other access points" need to be enabled on any of the three external UAP-AC-M 's ??

I've read that it does, I've read that it doesnt.

Hello @stevebird,

You have to enable that under the radio settings and wireless uplink settings

Devices > UAP > Config > Radios

Devices > UAP > Config > Wireless Uplinks

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
Emerging Member

HI,

Does it /need/ enabling and if it does, which AP's should have it turned on?
thanks,

Hello @stevebird,

Every UAP that you want to wireless uplink.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Emerging Member

In my setup I'll have an AP wired to a firewall which will serve two other AP's which are then each wired to a further AP inside a building.

If I enable wireless uplink on all external AP's even the one that is effectively root of the mesh, will that cause a problem ? The issue is sometimes in these containers when they are dropped on site the so called root of the mesh with the internet service might alter and ideally this will dynamically just work without having to keep turning on or off wireless uplink, the other issue will be I guess that an AP where it is turned off will not link to another and so cannot be configured ? - Am i making sense?

Hello @stevebird,

Something like this right?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Screenshot_3.png
Emerging Member

mesh-layout.jpg

You are pretty close, our controller is hosted out in the cloud though.

Hello @stevebird,

Should work, I personally would use AirMAX devices if possible though.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Emerging Member

Do you think all three external AP's need meshing turned on or doesnt matter ?

I've read posts saying it doesnt need switching on as long as connectivity monitor is turned on within the controller.

I've also read that the AP which is effectively the host of the service needs meshing turned on and I've read that the AP that is effectley the client needs it turned on and I've read that meshing within the AP doesnt need turning on.

Just about every permentation is covered without actually saying what needs to be on or not.

I'd rather not use the chaos engineering aproch and try this and try that until it works. Is there a definitive answer do you know?

Hello @stevebird,

Please take a look at this article, it will show/explain you how to setup the wireless uplinks.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Kudos: 523
Solutions: 131

All 3 need meshing turned on because that's what you are doing. It's a little confusing, I know, but wireless uplinks are exactly what you are doing, and here that's synonymous with meshing.

Emerging Member

Thanks for the link, I had found that one but it doesnt specifically describe my unusual setup.
Kudos: 523
Solutions: 131

Your setup isn't unusual, in fact it is quite simple.

Highlighted
Emerging Member

I just want to say thank you to all that contributed to this thread. The system is up and running.

I've noticed an oddity with the two meshing AP's and the two switches. On the two topology map the meshing AP's show themselves connected together which is what I expected, but the switch on either side of the AP shows as though they are actually connected together and to each meshing AP.

The long picture is how it actually is with the magic of cut and paste and the smaller picture is the map created by the controller.

capture2.jpgcapture1.JPG