Highlighted

Update firmware == Disconnected

So, I have a problem.

Burned about 3 hours trying to figure out Unifi problem, while at customer site, going over hard deadline for network to be back up.

So, during the course of installing  additional hardware.....

I update the firmware like a good like tech, they download, reboot, provision... then they dissapear.  

I hardware reset the APs and switch.  Still won't show up.

I delete / "forget" the device from the unifi cloud key controller.....   Still won't show up.

I looked into how the adoption process works, and how to work around this issue.

I SSH'd into the APs and switch, and maually set inform URL.  THIS worked.

SO.  WTF is wrong with the new firmware(s)?   (this is 3 different devices.... AP-AC-PRO, Outdoor5, and US-8-60W)

They "disconnect" from controller, and won't show up to re-adopt after hardware reset.

This problem happens at multiple sites, and is repeatable (devices go StatusMan Very Happyisconnected when I update their firmware).

WTF IS THIS?!?!  I know (through testing) it's not one location, or one bad device, or something I am doing wrong.... so it's a real issue... but how do I not see 100 people screaming about something so big in these forums here???  I see zero posts about this... do people just not update firmware???

Problems:

1. this is an embarrasment.  I am professionally embarrased to be useing a product that does this.  This is an embarrasment when I am at a customer's site, and am frantically scrambling to troubleshoot minutes away from a hard deadline.

2. question:  how am I supposed to re-adopt "disconnected" devices for remote sites  where the only access into the network I have is the cloud key?  Yep.  i have to go there.  Which makes me wonder why I have 30 of these Cloud Keys at customer locations, (about a third of which are mysteriously 'offline' for whatever reason... nice stable hardware).

3. I am beginning to suspect that paying 3-5X's as much for hardware, and having phone support available, is a better deal.  Will be discussing with boss.

Can someone tell me a STABLE firmware version of family to use?

SuperUser
Kudos: 2040
Solutions: 396

Re: Update firmware == Disconnected

Is this just a rant or are you actually looking for help?

Have you tried configuring the local DNS server or DHCP server with the remote adoption methods like described here? Because this helps A LOT with remote sites ESPECIALLY when you're going to hard reset devices like you describe here...

Redcon IT Solutions - Florianópolis/SC/Brazil -www.redcon.com.br

@R4V3R wrote:

Is this just a rant or are you actually looking for help?

both.

@R4V3R wrote:

Have you tried configuring the local DNS server or DHCP server with the remote adoption methods like described here

Most customer sites don't have DNS servers running.  Many customer sites have firewalls I don't have administrative control over.  A few sites I have control of firewall.... but setting up DHCP options is a royal pain.  I never setup any of this stuff, because I wasn't looking to setup multiple sites to be controlled by a single controller.... which is the only good reason I can see to mess with DNS or DHCP options, as this MIGHT BE less painful than manually SSH-ing into multiple devices to set inform URL.

I understand you're trying to make helpful suggestions, but if a core function like adoption isn't working, I don't WANT work-arounds.  I want the core function to work as intended.

SuperUser
Kudos: 2040
Solutions: 396

Well, core functions do work, that's why you don't see hundreds of posts describing the same symptoms you mention here, but I could agree that the adoption process might not work right out of the box 100% of the time exactly the same way, for everyone and every setup.

BUT, that being said, adoption will work, as I said, A LOT more reliably especially for remote sites(even while using a local controller) when you have one of those two options configured, either DNS method or DHCP option 43. In my opinion DNS is easier and better, so thats what I use on every single customer I have/had for the last 5 years.

Going even further, the adoption process will always work one way or another, either via local discovery(works most of the time), or DNS/DHCP method(always works when you're able to configure it, simplifies the hard-reset of devices A LOT), or manual set-inform using SSH, smartphone app or chrome app(always works, might complicate the hard-reset of devices).

Redcon IT Solutions - Florianópolis/SC/Brazil -www.redcon.com.br
Established Member
Kudos: 564
Solutions: 55

In the last few months, as of today, I have updated my system with 18 firmware releases....yes, I am on the beta train. I can't think of 1 time, when my switch or APs have not come back from a firmware upgrade.

This is what I do:
1. Keep up with UniFi Controller updates.
2. Keep up with firmware updates: Update switch firmware first, wait 10 to 20 minutes. If everything is still working good, proceed with AP firmware updates.
This also helps isolate issues.
The Man from Q.A. My Story: UniFing the Spanish Garden | My Story: Rise of Accidental WiFi Test Lab | Signal & Throughput Tests Log | Early Access Signup
UniFi: UAS-XG, USG-XG, 24 L2 PoE, AC PRO, AC Mesh, AC Walls , HD, SHD, XG, nanoHD, G3 Micro.
Wired clients: Custom built Windows 10 PC, Brother MFC, four PS3s, four XBOX360s, two Wiis, four Smart TVs.
Wireless clients: Fourteen (yes, 14) Nest Thermostats for in-floor radiant heating, 5 Amazon Echos (original/show/dots), two MB Pros, two Windows laptops, one iPad 5th Gen, one Surface Pro 3, four iPhones, two Android phones, two DS Lites, Neato robotic vacuum.