Accepted Solution

Upload speed 2x the download? UAP-AC-PRO

Hello!

I have been doing a UniFi deployment at my office and I found from time to time the upload speed will be double (if not more) the download speed. Rarely does it occur the other way around.

I am reasonably new to WiFi deployments, but I would think my send/receive speeds should be reasonably similar? I am still trying to track down all the variables and plan to do a better site survey, but getting my head around this anomaly would help with the rest of the planning process.

We are in a pretty wifi congested building. I can see at least 15 2.4Ghz signals and 10 5Ghz signals. All tests are done on 5Ghz and in line of sight with between 1M and 10M between my system and the AP. My system is often on my desk with a few LCD monitors around, but I have seen the issue when I am holding the system and standing closer to the AP.

We have about 30 devices connected to the AP, but I have seen this problem with 5-10 devices also. Most are MacBook Pro's, but we have iPhones, Surface Tab's, Android, etc thrown into the mix also. I am broadcasting two SSID's, and the ceiling is concrete, with a few concrete pillars dotted around.

I'm trying to research all things WiFi as fast as I can, but it still feels like proper troubleshooting and deployment is an art. Any insights or advice you can provide would be very appreciated!

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 7
Solutions: 2

Re: Upload speed 2x the download? UAP-AC-PRO

[ Edited ]

I too have been performing a lot of wireless testing and have also noticed that speedtest.net tests over wireless depicts this similar behavior where the download is much slower than the upload.  I have tested using speedtest.net's browser, Android app, and iOS app on mutliple devices.  All exhibit the same behavior of downloads being much slower than uploads.

I have a symmetrical gigabit fiber connection and I have noticed that speedtest.net will max out around 170-200Mbps on the dowload, but the upload appears to be correct.  I have verified with iperf3 testings and observed that the max througputs of download and upload as reported by iperf3 are usually within the results that speedtest.net reports for their upload tests.

Some thing is definitely wrong with speedtest.net's download test over wireless.

This behavior is not isolated to the UAP-AC-PRO.  I have noticed the same behavior on a NETGEAR R7000 running stock and dd-wrt.

Sample test of 802.11ac 2x2 device on UAP-AC-PRO at about 10 meters from AP.

Speedtest.net:

iperf3 upload test:

[SUM]   0.00-35.01  sec  1.25 GBytes   307 Mbits/sec                  sender
[SUM]   0.00-35.01  sec  1.25 GBytes   307 Mbits/sec                  receiver
iperf Done.

iperf 3 download test:

Reverse mode, remote host beanstalk is sending
SUM]   0.00-35.00  sec  1.48 GBytes   362 Mbits/sec  1039             sender
[SUM]   0.00-35.00  sec  1.48 GBytes   362 Mbits/sec                  receiver
iperf Done.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Established Member
Kudos: 138
Solutions: 44

Welcome to this forum,

Can you inform us with a little more info like;

• Which version of controller software are you running and under what OS?
  • Speedtest, how performed or seen within controller software?
  • Can you give us some pictures of the radio settings?
  • How many access point, 1?
  • You refer to 2 SSID's, also using "Guest network" or other (advanced) settings within your controller?

And yes, Site survey will give much info

Cheers,

Mike

If the feedback solved your problem or question. Please mark it as solved. If it is worth some Kudo’s don’t forget to give some :-)

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the welcome! It sounds like this isn't a common issue then, glad I am only a partial n00b.

I am running controller version 5.0.6.3060 on a OS X 10.11.5 system. This is also my main workstation so it pops on and off the network regularly.

The problem has been most obvious when using my ISP's Speedtest.net server, but I have seen issues when using iperf3 also. I don't have a USG yet so inside the control software I only see the AP's bandwidth usage. It fluctuates pretty radically but I have attached a picture of what I have during a solid iperf3 speed test with my radio settings.

Right now I am focusing on 1AP, but we have 3 deployed in the building across 2 floors. AP-AC-PRO centrally on the 3rd floor, and two AP-AC-LR on opposite sides of the 2nd floor. I have seen the issue occur on all three to varying degrees, but I am focusing my troubleshooting on the AP-AC-PRO.

We aren't using the guest network, the second SSID is to test Radius auth, but we do have Airtime Fairness and Band steering enabled. Connectivity monitor and wireless uplink are enabled, but I can't see any other advanced settings enabled.

I have also added an image of a speedtest I just ran with my signal details. I boosted the Signal from the AP to 22 and that has certainly improved the performance, but the speed test still shows the upload speed as double the download speed. It could be intermittent ISP congestion, but I don't see the issue when I plug in my cable so I am trying to investigate any other possibilities before I start hounding them.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Ben

Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 9.49.46 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 9.39.40 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 9.39.04 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 9.38.58 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 9.38.48 AM.png
Established Member
Kudos: 995
Solutions: 244

To me looking at the metrics on your screenshots it looks like you're not getting enough speed either way. 

Do a RF Scan with you're AC-Pro. Let's see if you have high interferance and channel utiization.

Please give kudo's to the people who have helped you and mark your thread as solved when you receive a solution to your issue.
For a deeper understanding on how WiFi works.
Certified UEWA, ACSP, ACTC

Thanks for the reply. Ill run a site survey soon when I can peel everyone off their screens.

I ran a few surveys when I was setting up the AP's but it seems to have disappeared. Here is a less helpful RF scan from the closest AP on the floor below.

Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 10.37.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 10.37.49 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 10.38.13 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 10.38.26 AM.png
Established Member

@benl wrote:

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the welcome! It sounds like this isn't a common issue then, glad I am only a partial n00b.

I am running controller version 5.0.6.3060 on a OS X 10.11.5 system. This is also my main workstation so it pops on and off the network regularly.

The problem has been most obvious when using my ISP's Speedtest.net server, but I have seen issues when using iperf3 also. I don't have a USG yet so inside the control software I only see the AP's bandwidth usage. It fluctuates pretty radically but I have attached a picture of what I have during a solid iperf3 speed test with my radio settings.

Can you upgrade to the latest version? https://www.ubnt.com/downloads/unifi/5.0.7/UniFi.pkg

Can you tell us the Internet connection speed? Is the fiber or cable?

Did you measure wen nobody is on the network?

Did you test also with fairness and band stearing  OFF? 

Cheers,

Mike

If the feedback solved your problem or question. Please mark it as solved. If it is worth some Kudo’s don’t forget to give some :-)

Hello Mike,

I have updated my controller software and will continue testing to see if it had any success.

Just noticed a strange issue where a user had a full 300tx rate, but was only getting 6Mbps on a speed test, and the automated website testing we were performing regularly was timing out. Moved the computer 3 meters away, turned the wifi off/on, and suddenly back to full speed. I am getting concerned that this is a RF or EM interference issue.

We have a 100Mbps fiber connection. I have run tests with nobody in the office as well as with a full office and both have shown the odd upload inconsistency. I haven't tried disabling Airtime Fairness and BandSteering yet. Figured I would check in here before I bumped into every tree in the forest.

One of the next things on my list was to get another 2x AP's and try setting them to lower power but closer together.

--Ben

Established Member

@benl wrote:

Hello Mike,

I have updated my controller software and will continue testing to see if it had any success.

Just noticed a strange issue where a user had a full 300tx rate, but was only getting 6Mbps on a speed test, and the automated website testing we were performing regularly was timing out. Moved the computer 3 meters away, turned the wifi off/on, and suddenly back to full speed. I am getting concerned that this is a RF or EM interference issue.

We have a 100Mbps fiber connection. I have run tests with nobody in the office as well as with a full office and both have shown the odd upload inconsistency. I haven't tried disabling Airtime Fairness and BandSteering yet. Figured I would check in here before I bumped into every tree in the forest.

Disable Air time Fairness and band steering ( default)

Use 1 SSID if possible and start testing Icon Smile

Keep in mind the radio channel (s)  of neighbour's (and your own)!

2,4 GHZ on 1,6 or 11.

5 GHz on 36,40,44 and 48 and eventualy DFS channels from your region.

Start with a Low as possible Power setting for all your ap's on the different radio and crank it up where needed. Pure t o allow raming between radio's

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Mike

Thank you for the suggestions Mike. Ill try making those changes tonight after the office is empty and post back the results.

Should I be expecting DRAMATICALLY better results when the office is empty? I have been getting 100Mbps - 119Mbps using iperf, should this become more stable or should I see a performance boost closer to the 200Mbps when nobody is online?

Established Member

The speedtest(s) will depand on the device you are testing!

The devices will support up from 1x1 to 3 x3 MIMO dual radio on the ac-pro.

Getting the highest speed depends on the device (laptop, phone) .

5 GHz will deliver the highest throughput put (VHT80), the mobile device has to support this!

You have to test this local (iperf3) because your Internet fiber couldn't deliver those throughput (100/100).

Give it a run.

Greetings,

Mike

Here is the RF Scan from the proper AP. Taken early in the morning before anyone was in the building.

I disabled Airtime Fairness/Band steering and made a few adjustments to the signal strengths. Still getting some odd dropped ping packets, inconsistent iperf speeds, and occasionally the same odd upload/download disparity.

From what I have read for best results aim for 25-30 devices per AP? Is there a formula I can use to estimate the speed drop as users join? Right now I have 8 devices on the AP with the suggested and I still see strange results. But it is looking more reliable than yesterday.

Anything you can see from these results to suggest a next thing to try? We have purchased 2 more AP's for the floor, so we should be able to lower the power and tweak the minssid a bit, but I still have this feeling we are below some strange black site that is using 5Ghz waves to interrogate activists.

Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 7.38.45 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 7.39.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 9.53.18 AM.png

Just saw it a few times on a second system.

20Mbps download, 60Mbps upload, and a 300Mbps tx rate.

Could some kind of interference be impacting the download rate but not the upload?

[ Edited ]

I too have been performing a lot of wireless testing and have also noticed that speedtest.net tests over wireless depicts this similar behavior where the download is much slower than the upload.  I have tested using speedtest.net's browser, Android app, and iOS app on mutliple devices.  All exhibit the same behavior of downloads being much slower than uploads.

I have a symmetrical gigabit fiber connection and I have noticed that speedtest.net will max out around 170-200Mbps on the dowload, but the upload appears to be correct.  I have verified with iperf3 testings and observed that the max througputs of download and upload as reported by iperf3 are usually within the results that speedtest.net reports for their upload tests.

Some thing is definitely wrong with speedtest.net's download test over wireless.

This behavior is not isolated to the UAP-AC-PRO.  I have noticed the same behavior on a NETGEAR R7000 running stock and dd-wrt.

Sample test of 802.11ac 2x2 device on UAP-AC-PRO at about 10 meters from AP.

Speedtest.net:

iperf3 upload test:

[SUM]   0.00-35.01  sec  1.25 GBytes   307 Mbits/sec                  sender
[SUM]   0.00-35.01  sec  1.25 GBytes   307 Mbits/sec                  receiver
iperf Done.

iperf 3 download test:

Reverse mode, remote host beanstalk is sending
SUM]   0.00-35.00  sec  1.48 GBytes   362 Mbits/sec  1039             sender
[SUM]   0.00-35.00  sec  1.48 GBytes   362 Mbits/sec                  receiver
iperf Done.

SuperUser
Kudos: 6153
Solutions: 387

Sigh...  speedtest.net goes out - over the internet.  

Where QOS can vary wildly.  Wifi also has different latency than wired connections - good luck drawing inferances out of their numbers without knowing what they are doing to try to compensate for ISPs, etc. 

If you want meaningful numbers for your AP's performance set up iperf on a wired computer on your network and then use iperf on your wireless device.  

That's controlled and can be troubleshot.  Trying to figure out why one run of speedtest.net is the same or different from a previous run is an exercise in futility.

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!

Having wifi problems? Take a look here first: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP

Hello Eric,

I am using the speedtest.net server of my ISP. I do immediate comparisons between wired and wireless devices so I do not believe this discrepancy is caused by ISP congestion.

I have been using iperf in conjunction with the speedtest.net approach. I haven't directly noticed the discrepancy of speed, but I have noticed periods on iperf where one thread will stick at 0.00bps for tens of seconds while others hit tens of mbps. Could speedtest.net be displaying this issue in a silly way?

[ Edited ]

@EricE

Did you miss the point where I said "symmetrical gigabit fiber connection"?  Also, the speedtest tests were ran against my ISP on premise server to minimize all the Internet issues.  When you have that kind of wired speed on the WAN, the bottleneck moves to the wireless and so speedtest.net on premise testing gets real close if not the same results as iperf3 for wireless.

Kudos: 4
Solutions: 1

I am having similar isssues here, only worse, I get about 2Mbps for download and full speed for upload. This is only happening on the UAP-AC-PRO and not the older ac model UAP-AC. I built a new controller and set it up just to have clean install but that did not help. 

Highlighted
Kudos: 5

[ Edited ]

this is happening also to me. download 100 mbit. upload 250. my fiber connection is 1gbit down 250 up. Any solutions?