Use the same name or different ssid name

Hi

Right now I have two UniFi APs with different names (eg. wifi and wifi2) that cover a big area in a small warehouse.  So for some devices its important for they use one AP and not the other.  Mainly because the will have poor signal and high latancy if they are picking the wrong AP.  

Wondering what the consequences are if I allow the Ubiquiti UniFi controller to merge the to APs to the same name.  So just call it wifi instead of wifi and wifi2 for both APs.

I am nervious to lose the abilty to tell each device which ap to use. 

What are the plus and minuses of do this?  Does anyone have experience with this?

Thank you,

Jonathan

Kudos: 158
Solutions: 30

Re: Use the same name or different ssid name

[ Edited ]

The client decides of which AP to use when the SSID are the same. you can turn on fast roaming which will limit the number of handshake rounds required by maintaining the master key which then does not need to be reexchanged as a client switches AP's

Kudos: 4071
Solutions: 1048

Re: Use the same name or different ssid name

[ Edited ]

Hello @VBIT,

Welcome to the community!

Use the same SSID on all UAPs and let the client choose.

I do recommend tuning the Radio Settings tough.

Devices > UAP > Config > Radios

2.4 GHz
Channel width: HT20
Chanel: 1/6/11 | Choose one of these channels, a RF scan will help you choose the most clean one.
Transmit Power: Low ( Medium )

5GHz
Channel width: VHT40 | Optional VHT80/VHT160 might decrease wireless stability
Chanel: 36/44 | Optional (149/157) Choose one of these channels, a RF scan will help you choose the most clean one. Avoid using DFS Channels
Transmit Power: Medium ( High )

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK