Highlighted
Accepted Solution

User based time control of wifi access

Hi

i am new to Unifi wifi and would like to set up limited access to wifi for my kids but have unlimited for my wife and I. 

I have are set up a WLAN group with zero handoff.

i added a WLAN with and SSID and password and set the user group (under advanced) to 'default'.

I then created another WLAN with time restrictions and set the user group to a new group I created called 'children'. 

I then hen assigned the relevant group to each device and hoped this would force the 'children' device to connect to the restricted WLAN and the adult devices tot the unlimited one, but it didn't work as hoped.

please can anyone advise:

1) how to achieve what I would like to do, if it is possible

2) what is the purpose of user groups / how they should be used

3) what is the purpose of multiple wlans per group?

I am sorry if this is covered somewhere - I just can't find a clear explanation.

many thanks in advance.

Andy

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 171
Solutions: 21

Re: User based time control of wifi access

What limitations are you wanting to set for the Kids?  Time Limit or Bandwidth Limit or Both?

I would just create Two Wireless Networks in the same "WLAN Group", one for the Kids and one for the Adults.  On the kids network under advanced -> "Enable WLAN Schedule" setup the schedule.

Connect the Kids devices to the Kids network and you should be good to go.

The User Group for each network is where you will set Bandwidth Limits for the Users connected to the Wireless Network that has been assigend to that user group.

Ubiquiti Certified - UEWA / UBRSS / UBWS / USRS

View solution in original post

All Replies

What limitations are you wanting to set for the Kids?  Time Limit or Bandwidth Limit or Both?

I would just create Two Wireless Networks in the same "WLAN Group", one for the Kids and one for the Adults.  On the kids network under advanced -> "Enable WLAN Schedule" setup the schedule.

Connect the Kids devices to the Kids network and you should be good to go.

The User Group for each network is where you will set Bandwidth Limits for the Users connected to the Wireless Network that has been assigend to that user group.

That's great - thank you very much.

I am aiming a time based WLAN for the kids so your answer has sorted it for me.

One last question, can you have two SSIDs in a WLAN network with the same SSID but different passwords - one for adults and one for kids?

Thank you

Andy

No you can not have two SSIDs with the same name you can have a similar by change out say an I with a 1.

All seemed to be ok last night and the kids network went off at 9.00pm.

However, I was able to connect to it again on my phone at 11.00pm when it wasn't meant to work until 7.00am this morning.

Should the SSID be visible during the 'off' period?

If so, shouldn't it not allow a connection?

Thanks

Established Member
Kudos: 578
Solutions: 157

What is your setup for the times look like as you maybe confusing some settings?

If you set the ON time from say 4pm - 9pm then it should only be visible during those times. At 11pm it should not be running unless you configured it incorrectly which i assume based on your 7am time slot you mentioned.

You can only do 1 time slot during the day so unless you have 7am - 9pm then something is configured incorrectly.

Help the community by marking issues as solved when they are!

If you need some help or just someone to bounce ideas off on a project, please send requests/details to:
consult@think-networks.com

Hi 

I have set up 7.00am to 9.00pm each day apart from Friday and Saturday - please see attached.

Is this right?  If so, why was it available at 11.00pm last night?

Thanks

Andrew

Screenshot 2016-02-25 13.12.50.png
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1261
Solutions: 379

Hi @Andy1205,

When the SSID is out of schedule, the AP should stop broadcasting the SSID (ie, you won't see it anymore).

It looks like your schedule is configured correctly.  What controller and AP firmware version are you using?

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

UniFi Protect: UniFi Protect Help Center | Frequently Asked Questions

UniFi Video 3: UniFi Video Help Center | UFV3 User Guide