WIFI Question

Picked up a UniFi 16 port PoE+ switch along with a UniFi AC MESH. When I disconnect my current router ASUS router from the mix and plug my modem directly into the 16 port switch, I lose connectivitiy to the web. As soon as I plut the ASUS back into the mix, all is well. Everything is setup as DHCP, what did I miss during setup?

JS

Kudos: 41
Solutions: 6

Re: WIFI Question

You will still need a router that provides nat functionality. What you have are layer 2 devices that are preforming switching and bridging, but nothing on layer 3 preforming routing.

If you do not plan on using something in the unifi line such as the USG you can use your current ASUS, just disable the wireless functionality and configure wireless on the unifi AP's using either the controller or the android/ios apps.

Unifi is not a drop in replacement for home equipment, more geared towards enterprise, having said that, it works great for home users, just with a little more configuration than most are used to.

Reach out with any questions, dont mind helping you out some. We all have to start somewhere.

--Chris

Makes sense. I couldnt figure out how the switch was performing NAT translation. I'll pick up a USG tomorrow. Stay tuned. 

JS

Like I said, feel free to ask any questions, be glad to point you in the right direction.

So I stopped and got the SCG this morning. I pulled the ASUS out and replaced it with the Ubiquiti SCG and using the UniFi portal, I cannot get the SCG to adopt. Any thoughts? I've got it setup the same as my ASUS to pull DHCP from the modem but still cannot get it to adopt.

Jason

Is it showing up for adoption in your controller?

Where do you have the controller installed?

I am currently Modem to USG to port one of the switch. If I go from modem to USG to laptop everything works, so I think it's still a configuration problem. All the devices in the portal are now showing adoption failed but things still seem to be working. I have the USG pulled now and replaced with the ASUS. Even though things are saying ADOPTION FAILED I'm able to get to the internet without issue. 

I know it's something small I'm missing just can't put my finger on it and this portal interface doesn't help much. Does Unifi have a (800) support number? I can't seem to find one.

JS