Accepted Solution

Watchguard and UniFi Wireless for School

One of our schools is approaching EOL for a Watchguard wireless system. Watchguard seems to be following the Meraki way in charging a subscription per access point. Because of this, we are evaluating replacing it with Unifi Wireless.

A couple questions.

1. Is anyone running a Watchguard Firebox in front of unifi equipment? For DCHP, VLANS, Firewall Policies and Dimension?
  2. What other firewalls (like watchguard) are you guys using that play nice with Unifi? We have Barracuda firewalls at some other clients but that can get fairly expensive and would make sense to stay with a Watchguard system.

Because it’s a school, we need the flexibility of adding new policies and security for our networks. I know the EdgeRouter is capable of this but I wish Unifi had a product for better firewall policy management and troubleshooting.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Established Member
Kudos: 982
Solutions: 244

Re: Watchguard and UniFi Wireless for School

I concur with ub40. Any firewall is going to play nice. IPv4 is a pretty old standard. ;-)

Anyway, here I am, running Watchguard and Unifi in a school and it works.

Haven't done VLANs with it. That's the job of the coreswitch in front of it.

Running Dimension and watchguards DHCP for little subnet that hits the unifi switches and APs

Please give kudo's to the people who have helped you and mark your thread as solved when you receive a solution to your issue.
For a deeper understanding on how WiFi works.
Certified UEWA, ACSP, ACTC

View solution in original post

All Replies
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1280
Solutions: 208

[ Edited ]

Any router/firewall will work with UniFi APs, they all play "nice". Just use what makes the most sense for you, and configure a static host "unifi" that points to the IP of the UniFi controller.

For sure, just want to get some input from anyone running similar setups. Thank you.
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1280
Solutions: 208

[ Edited ]

You could search for "school" or "whatchguard" in this forum (and the "unifi routing & switching" sub-forum). You could also specify the country you are in, as well as the rough number of students and APs so that others have a better idea if they are in the same ballpark.

Established Member
Kudos: 982
Solutions: 244

I concur with ub40. Any firewall is going to play nice. IPv4 is a pretty old standard. ;-)

Anyway, here I am, running Watchguard and Unifi in a school and it works.

Haven't done VLANs with it. That's the job of the coreswitch in front of it.

Running Dimension and watchguards DHCP for little subnet that hits the unifi switches and APs

Please give kudo's to the people who have helped you and mark your thread as solved when you receive a solution to your issue.
For a deeper understanding on how WiFi works.
Certified UEWA, ACSP, ACTC
Kudos: 37
Solutions: 4

We run Watchguard firewalls throughout our town and school networks and all wireless behind them are UniFI - no problems at all.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 3

I'm banging my head against the wall with AWS and a watchguard firewall (part of the issue is I don't know watchguard devices all that well).  Can anyone here that's using watchguard see what I am doing wrong in this thread?

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/L3-setup-problem-with-a-watchguard-firewall/td-p/254105...

as i say, I have an AWS instance and a bunch of sites working fine.  but they all have home / low end routers, not a firewall with rules to deal with.

thanks!

Emerging Member
Kudos: 3

never mind.. it's working now. and from what I can tell I didn't do anything to fix it other than fiddle with it