Accepted Solution

Weatherproof?

So I did a search before posting this.  Back in 2016 someone else noted that the AP AC Pro are weather resistant and not weatherproof.  The recomendation back in 2016 was to put the AP in a tupperware container, or make sure it was well protected from the elements.  The AP AC Pro kind of replace the other outdoor lines that Ubiquiti had and based on the writeup I am not really feeling like it is all that much of an outdoor solution.  I am curious does anyone know if Ubiquiti is really in the outdoor market because it seems like the "current(circa 2016)" product line isn't really geared to play in the outdoor space.  

Accepted Solutions
Established Member
Kudos: 258
Solutions: 34

Re: Weatherproof?

The two APs I references can be used wired or mesh wireless.

When wired, they are just a regular AP. They are powered by standard 802.3af.

I'd install the UAP-AC-M-PRO.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Established Member

You should consider outdoor APs like the UAP-AC-M and UAP-AC-M-Pro.

https://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/unifi/UniFi_AC_Mesh_DS.pdf

JimBob, 

I am kind of limited in available power at this location, so I am not sure mesh tech is going to work.  I can't run cables all over the place.  I figured POE would be a plus, I would only need one cable to an AP.  I was originally looking at the Unifi AP Outdoor APs, but when I saw they were tagged as "Legacy" and that was back in 2016 I was a little concerned bout making an investment in something that might not be around too much longer(see my EOL post). 

I am not looking at more that 10-20 clients connected.  I need about 100-200 foot range, with almost zero obstructions.  I don't require high throughput.  

Established Member

The two APs I references can be used wired or mesh wireless.

When wired, they are just a regular AP. They are powered by standard 802.3af.

I'd install the UAP-AC-M-PRO.

Been looking at the specs and that looks like the AP to go with.  

So I know I need POE, can I get away with an EdgeRouter with POE or do I need to go POE Switch?  I would prefer the router as I need NAT and DHCP.  

Thanks for steering me in a good direction.  I can only read so many manuals in one day Man Happy  I obviously have a few to read.  

Highlighted
Emerging Member
Kudos: 13
Solutions: 3

If you're just buying a single access point, it has a POE power adapter supplied so you don't need anything else.  The multipacks don't.

@caffn8me I don't have any sort of foundational network at this point, also I have a little bit of an internet constraint so I would like to minimize traffic out.  My thought was to have a Edgerouter doing my NAT, DHCP, running a Cloud Key, and my POE for the access point.   

The Edgerouter POE looks like it would cover my needs on paper, but I don't see it listed as a supported way to connect up a Mesh Pro AP.  One of the articles I saw referenced the switch gear for support but non of the routers were on the list. 

Ok think I found my answer in a post on if the Edgerouter POE can take care of a MESH Pro AP.