Scheduled maintenance: Community will be offline Monday June 17th, 1:00 AM - 6:00 AM (PT)

What do I need for my summer house project?

Hi!

My family has a summer house that contains 4 buildings (see the artistic MSPaint sketch):

A - Main house (< 100 sq meters)

B - Guest cabin 1 (~30 sq m)

C - Guest cabin 2 (~30 sq m)

D - Tool shed

The current wifi setup is abysmal, so I am looking into Unifi as an option here.

All buildings are wooden structures. Buildings B, C, and D are all within a few meters (3 - 10 meters) from the main building, A.

Except for handling personal devices (phones, tablets) for maybe 10 people, I suspect we might see more TV streaming in the future.

We are hooked up to a fiber connection that is setup in the toolshed in building D.

There are ethernet cables running from D to A, B, and C.

What Ubiquit products do I need to get good wifi that covers all buildings, and the porch between them?

There is currently no network equipment in place at all, except for the fiber modem provided by the ISP, so I will need both switching and routing.

Since there is no stationary computer in any house, I guess I also need something to run the controller software on?

landet_buildings.png
Kudos: 4870
Solutions: 1288

Re: What do I need for my summer house project?

Hello @hovren,

Welcome to the community!

I would suggest looking into AC LRs for inside the buildings and UAP AC Ms for outdoor coverage.

Do you have need a switch/router or do you already have those?

How much bandwidth do you get from your ISP?

How many hardwired devices do you have?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

No there is currently no router at all.

There are no wired devices.

Can you elaborate on the number of APs required, and maybe placement?

Hello @hovren,

Nobody can give you a 100% accurate answer to that, best is to get 1 UAP and do a site survey with it.

Could you post floorplans of the buildings?

What are the walls made of?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x

Hi @AmazedMender16!, thanks for your help so far!

I'm really not looking for a 100% accurate answer. I just need a ballpark estimate since I have no idea what each AP is capable of in terms of range.

Apart from the APs I am also having difficulties understanding what products might be suitable to provide the routing, switching, and controller that I need.

I might have trouble drawing floorplans that are accurate since I am not on site at the moment. All walls (interior and exterior) are wood or plaster. Large parts of the south wall of building A is glass.

If it helps, my backup option in case I don't go the Unifi route is basically to just put e.g. a Netgear Orbi in the big room of building A and hope that coverage is good enough since the glass wall can provide line of sight to parts of the other buildings, and then add more satellites if necessary. That is not half as fun though.

The incoming fiber delivers either 100/100 or 250/100, not sure which.

Hello @hovren,

A USG3 will do if you're not going to run IPS/IDS, get a USG P4 if you're going to run IPS/IDS.

I personally would get 2 UAP AC LRs for Building A and put 1 UAP AC LR in all the other buildings.

UAP AC M ( PRO ) for outdoor coverage.

Would get a USW 16 150W or USW 24 250W depending on the ports you need.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Established Member
Kudos: 472
Solutions: 49

@AmazedMender16 wrote:

Hello @hovren,

Welcome to the community!

I would suggest looking into AC LRs for inside the buildings and UAP AC Ms for outdoor coverage.

Do you have need a switch/router or do you already have those?

How many hardwired devices do you have?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Glen, you know more than I do, but isn't what you suggest overkill?  A UAP AC LR in blg A might we'll cover all the buildings. If not, a UAP AC LITE should be more than adequate for the each small building or maybe for all.

If there is cable from D to A, B, and C, then I guess the ISP modem is really also a router/switch. If so, A USG might not be needed. Need more info here.

If wired access is also desired in A, B, or C then either a switch will be needed there, or maybe use an IW AP that that also has wired ports.

I would guess the inside APs will provide decent coverage outside in the immediate vicinity of the buildings. But to go further may need a mesh AO outside.

Hello @phk46,

The UAP AC Lite/LR both will do the job, the UAP AC LR has a better radio.

He has cables going to the buildings.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Hi @phk46 (and @AmazedMender16),

No, AFAIK the fiber modem is not a router, so I would need something to handle that.

Do I understand correctly that I could hook it up like this:

Put a USG in D that is connected to the modem, and the cables going to A, B, and C.

In A, B, and C, connect AP's to cabling. I guess the USG provides PoE? If I need more AP's I assume I can just add a switch in that building and attach all AP's to that?

What about the controller: is a "cloud key" my simplest option?

I see now that the USG is not a switch? I see that there is also the "EdgeRouter" series which appears to solve switching as well. If so, why would I want a USG + switch instead of a single device?

Kudos: 523
Solutions: 131

USG does not provide PoE, you need a switch that provides PoE.

How far apart are the buildings?

Do you want wifi outside?

How fast is your ISP connection?

@hovren wrote:

I see now that the USG is not a switch? I see that there is also the "EdgeRouter" series which appears to solve switching as well. If so, why would I want a USG + switch instead of a single device?

Single pane of glass (interface) to manage all gear (USG, APs, switches). Much easier to configure since you do everything in one application.

Hello @hovren,

I would put a switch behind the USG to power all the UAPs and for the hardwired devices..

The UCK is the easiest option yeah, but would recommend a UCK G2 Man Happy

Regards,
Glenn R.

Hi @RobbieH 

Ok, so the EdgeRouter devices are managed separately? That's obviously a bit of a disadvantage.

The buildings are close to each other (a few meters). My guess is that no cable needs to be longer than 20-30 meters.

Yes, wifi outside is a requirement.

ISP speed is somewhere between 100-300 Mbps (I can't remember right now).

Hi @AmazedMender16 ,

Is there any special reason to use the G2 over the G1? It's more than twice as expensive.

@hovren wrote:

Hi @RobbieH 

Ok, so the EdgeRouter devices are managed separately? That's obviously a bit of a disadvantage.

That's right.

Hello @hovren,

The UCK G2 is 64 bit, the UCK is 32bit... ( 32bit is limited to a 2GB DB size )

The UCK G2 has battery buildin to prevent DB corruption on powercuts.

The UCK G2 is twice as fast.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Hi @AmazedMender16 

So with a G1, what would or could happen if power is lost?

I realize that the G2 is faster, I just have no idea why the controller needs to be fast. This is after all a tiny home network.

Hello @hovren,

DB corruption, than you can hope that you can repair it... otherwise factory reset and restore from backups Man Happy

The controller will also stop running when the DB gets 2GB in size.

Trust me, in the long run you will be happy with the G2.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Highlighted
Established Member
Kudos: 472
Solutions: 49

@hovren wrote:

Hi @AmazedMender16 ,

Is there any special reason to use the G2 over the G1? It's more than twice as expensive.

There was a lot of pain and complaining with the G1. The G2 seems to have resolved all the problems.

Since this is a summer home I guess it will often be unoccupied. Is the power reliable? Will you leave the network powered on when you aren't there?

The G1 has a tendency to get corrupted when power drops. I wouldn't run a G1 without a UPS to power it. But even that isn't enough unless you are around to tend to it before the UPS battery runs out. The G2 gracefully shuts down when the power goes out.

A likely configuration for you is:

- USG in D, connected to the ISP modem

- US-8-60W in D, connected to USG

- UCG2 in D, connected to the switch

- your cables going to A, B, C connected to switch

- UAP AC LR in A

That may be enough. If coverage in B,C,D and outside is insufficient, then:

- UAP AC LITE (or another UAP AC LR) in one or more of B,C

and/or

- UAP AC MESH outside. Perhaps on top of D.

If you want to go cheaper, you can use a cheap unmanaged switch (~$20) with the power injectors that come with the APs, and a phone charger to power the UCG2.

Another thing you didn't mention: temperature/climate. Will this equipment sometimes be left operating at outside temperatures? What is the temperature range? (The answer may impact equipment selection.)

Nobody asked the details of the cable runs between the buildings. Somebody here who knows that stuff should chime in and verify if what it there is safe to use.