Kudos: 18
Accepted Solution

Where are we on CentOS/RHEL support?

With 5.2.7 just released and another update without a (posted) Unix package, I'm wondering where we stand on getting this officially supported on enterprise Linux systems. I've been using the Unix package on CentOS 7 for a while ago and while I was able to download 5.2.7 by modifying an old URL, the fact that it's not visible in the announcement or on the download page is concerning. Does anyone have word on official support (e.g. installation via yum) for RHEL-based systems even being on the timeline? It's been a requested feature for a while but I can't seem to find an answer one way or the other (though excuse me if I just missed something obvious).

Accepted Solutions
Emerging Member
Kudos: 11
Solutions: 1

Re: Where are we on CentOS/RHEL support?

download the zip file from here https://www.ubnt.com/downloads/unifi/5.2.7/UniFi.unix.zip just extract to /opt/ I've created an init.d script, works without problems

View solution in original post

All Replies
SuperUser
Kudos: 11370
Solutions: 696
Contributions: 1

[ Edited ]

Not sure if it's being worked on since Debian is the Distro UBNT builds everything on - we have no problem running them as is on Ubuntu, and manually installing them in CentOS isn't that big a deal, although we've pretty much given up on CentOS since there's not really much difference in most of the Distros any more (Leonard and systemd finally won - and no I don't want my Linux boxes to look/work like Windoze... Mad2 )

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
"It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
"Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should."my mantra in the Programming classes I used to teach once upon a time...
Kudos: 91
Solutions: 3

Super easy to install on Debian/Ubuntu via apt so I'd say, just use that.

Kudos: 4

I'm using CentOS 7 but I'm running the controller in an Ubuntu Docker container. It makes updates super easy and it's nice to not have to worry about Java versions too.

Emerging Member

download the zip file from here https://www.ubnt.com/downloads/unifi/5.2.7/UniFi.unix.zip just extract to /opt/ I've created an init.d script, works without problems
Kudos: 4

We primarly use RHEL for critical servers so using Centos7 is the natural selection for most testing or non critical applications.

Steven Jenkins has a great script to update UniFi Controller, http://www.stevejenkins.com/blog/2016/06/automated-script-unifi-controller-upgrade-linuxunix-systems...

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 16174
Solutions: 607
Contributions: 20

[ Edited ]

I should clarify the why here. We aren't providing the link publicly any more. This file has always been provided as do it yourself, completely unsupported solution, yet we end up investing resources to fix issues encountered. The reason for removing the links from our downloads site and public release posts is because that has changed.

If you are using an unsupported version of Linux/Unix it is completely use at your own risk, untested and there is no support for any issues encountered. There are so many permutations of Unix/Linux that we cannot spend time investigating issues encountered on them. So if it works, great, but unfortunately if it doesn't then we typically won't be working on a solution (unless it's present on our supported distros). In most cases, it should work fine..

Best regards,

Mike

Emerging Member

Then we've a problem, we're running > 200 RHEL servers and I won't get a Ubuntu/Debian server from the Server guys (I'm in the network team). If I can't run it anymore on a RHEL I need to through 150 APs out and get something else .... So please don't remove the file .. no link is ok for me.
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 16174
Solutions: 607
Contributions: 20

@robertpenz wrote:
Then we've a problem, we're running > 200 RHEL servers and I won't get a Ubuntu/Debian server from the Server guys (I'm in the network team). If I can't run it anymore on a RHEL I need to through 150 APs out and get something else .... So please don't remove the file .. no link is ok for me.

I'm going to be writing a help centre article with a little disclaimer and some info. The plan is that the link will be available in the beta section only. It will always be available for download, we aren't going to stop providing it.

But, we do want users to be aware that we can't spend time troubleshooting issues encountered with that zip file. In most cases everything should work fine. 

Cheers,

Mike

Kudos: 46
Solutions: 5

Like bmattson did, why not spin up a Debian/Ubuntu container on one of your RHEL servers?

@robertpenz wrote:

Emerging Member

That would be a compliance violation and I surely loose my root account if found out by the server team.

@robertpenz AWS or CloudKey an option? 

Emerging Member

Not really, how to I explain that I need to run something in the cloud with an unsupported OS .. someone will ask the server guys and they will tell me that operation systems are maintained by them. This only leads to fights .. They also can't buy a switch, router, firewall, .... and use it. And sending the user data to a cloud that not within the European Union is also a problem with data protections laws. Sure many (specially small) companies don't care but thats a no go for us to ignore the law.

On the placement issue, AWS and Azure have EU only placement options.

Kudos: 3

so for those of us using RedHat ENTERPRISE linux. are we SOL as far as support? Are you only planning on supporting Ubuntu going forward?

In other words, do i need to find a solution that isn't going to limit which OS i can use for a basic jar based application...

Emerging Member
Kudos: 19
Solutions: 2

Cloud Key is technically not in the cloud and is fully supported. If something went wrong, UBNT would absolutely provide assistance. Or am I way off base?

Kudos: 6

If anybody would like to write a thorough article on installing Unifi Controller on a CentOS 6 or CentOS 7, it would be wonderful.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1927
Solutions: 142

[ Edited ]

@robertpenz wrote:
That would be a compliance violation and I surely loose my root account if found out by the server team.

Oh, my.  Please don't take this personally, but it sounds like mainframe era IT management running the place.

Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

Not so much an article.... but probably easier.

I wrote a script to build a CentOS 7 package.

https://github.com/anotherbhav/unifi-rpm

It takes care of the upgrade too - by stopping the controller, backing it up to /var/tmp/ and then installing the new software and starting it up again.

If you go back in the commits, you can find CentOS 6 and the init script there too.

edit: updated repo link

Kudos: 22

You guys need to wake up.  Many (if not most) corporate and government enterprise linux environments do no support or run Ubuntu or Debian (I can speak for several significant organizations in the case of the latter).

Why in the world Ubiquity would think that Ubuntu and Debian were more worthy platforms to support is almost incredulous.

I've done a good deal of searching for the beta forum that apparently is the only place to now download the DIY zip file -- and can't find it.  Could you please enlighten me (us) as to just where this location is?  I've already spent far more time on trying to get the two existing CentOS platforms upgraded than I should have.  

This tactic seems a bit childish.